Next Food Network Star

DanCole42

I didn't watch the show tonight, but the outcome is not a surprise to me. Melissa has the Paula Dean-and-Sandra Lee-ish semi-tragic back story and the plucky, pretty mom next door quality that will appeal to their daytime/early weekend female viewers. Don't look for her in the evenings, when they broadcast their testosterone-fest competitions and junk food eating extravaganzas designed to appeal to male viewers.

Enter Michael Pollan

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02cooking-t.html?em

I've now watched three weeks of her show. My biggest complaint is that they have her doing these interview type segments interspersed with her cooking segments. It's cheesy and detracts from her show. Other than her repeating herself some, I think she's done a good job with her shows so far. There are several recipes I would make, and her special "survival" tips or whatever you want to call them are generally pretty good, though they may get repetitive.

No! My biggest complaint is that they have the Brian Boitano travesty on after this and I got sucked into viewing it :rolleyes: Sweet Aaron McCargo, whom I never was a big fan of, has come on now, and I'm thanking deities for him.

I was most impressed in this season's finale by how good Rachael Ray was as a director. She really seems like a natural. I don't have strong feelings about her one way or another (though I was getting annoyed for a while there where it seemed impossible to get away from her), but she did a very good job.

Yeah Aarti and her party!

Although I do hope we see Tom again. And the cute young kid who was the professional chef without a clue for his show idea.

I think Tom has a certain Adam Gertler quality and will probably pop up on some Food Network property. Gertler is actually more visible on FN than that season's winner (McCargo) is, and has now had two shows on the network, plus other appearances. The only problem might be if TPTB decide Tom is too much like him to be on the air too.

Aarti seems like she'll do an interesting show. She executes her concept very well. Unlike other contestants they've had, she doesn't overplay the "ethnic" component by talking about it incessantly and then being clumsy at incorporating it. She just does it...and smoothly.

I think Tom has a certain Adam Gertler quality and will probably pop up on some Food Network property. Gertler is actually more visible on FN than that season's winner (McCargo) is, and has now had two shows on the network, plus other appearances. The only problem might be if TPTB decide Tom is too much like him to be on the air too.

Aarti seems like she'll do an interesting show. She executes her concept very well. Unlike other contestants they've had, she doesn't overplay the "ethnic" component by talking about it incessantly and then being clumsy at incorporating it. She just does it...and smoothly.

Ithought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that if she didn't fall apart, she would win. They've been saying for a couple of seasons that they are lacking an Indian or Asian component to their lineup of shows. The people they've chosen to compete in that category haven't cut it until now.

Funnily enough vis-a-vis a "foregone conclusion:" Food Network actually leaked it accidentally on their website about two months ago.

Even knowing that, I kept watching. What that says about me, I don't know. :(.

Even knowing that, I kept watching. What that says about me, I don't know. :(.

With the horrors of this season's Top Chef, and the vociferous vapidity of Masterchef, The Next Food Network Star has, for all the crap the Food Network gets from "real foodies," been a real breath of fresh air with interesting and supportive cheftestants, entertaining challenges, and impressive cooking.

With the horrors of this season's Top Chef, and the vociferous vapidity of Masterchef, The Next Food Network Star has, for all the crap the Food Network gets from "real foodies," been a real breath of fresh air with interesting and supportive cheftestants, entertaining challenges, and impressive cooking.

I started to write something like that in an earlier post but couldn't get it phrased well. You did :(.

While Top Chef has been rather blah, do you actually think that they should be more supportive than they are? After all It is a contest.

Any watchability I got from NFNS was negated by the constant crying that went on. Every week, it seemed that somebody would be crying because they did well, or crying because they didn't, or crying because they didn't know if they could do it anymore, or crying because that one woman wouldn't stand up for our dish, and dammit now I just don't trust her anymore! Absurd to the point of unwatchable.

Maybe it got better this season, but when the only thing I care to watch on Food Network anymore as it stands is Good Eats, and THAT can be readily found online, why make a point to search out another show you're already very down on?

I have watched this show on and off over the years and have not only been disappointed, but quite honestly, it made me pretty sad. But, we have been watching this season and it is light years better than it has been in the past.

For starters, they split the contestants into three teams (Bobby Flay, Giada, Alton Brown) and it is awesome to see the competitiveness between those three people come out to play. Second, the quality of the chefs seems to be much better than in the past. Am I sure of this? Absolutely not, because I can't taste the food, but the technique seems to be there on several contestants. Third, and certainly not least, the annoying factor seems to be absent from most of the chefs, which means a hell of a lot to me.

We will see how it goes, one of the better chefs (Eric) got kicked off this week because he didn't have enough personality, but here's hoping that they can find a few chefs that cook well and can handle a show.

It seems as though the Food Network totally disregarded the post I wrote almost a year ago. Gone are the teams led by Giada, Bobby and Alton. Back are the "larger than life personalities" which (so far) is leading to a lot of unwarranted drama. I know that this is what sells, or at least that is what people tell me, but it is still disappointing to see.

I had stopped watching this show a few years ago because it drove me absolutely crazy. I started watching this season only because I noticed Rodney from Dangerously Delicious was on, and I wish I'd stuck to my guns. This show remains terrible. I complain at times about Top Chef, but it is exponentially better.

I watch Top Cehf religiously. From time to time, I have issues with the show, but I think that it is clearly the best cooking competition show on TV.

This summer we have resorted to watching Next Food Network Star and Master Chef. Both are terrible. If it weren't the summer and if we didn't have a little kid, I doubt that we would watch either of these shows. In fact, since we DVR these shows are we are already a few episodes behind, maybe we won't end up watching them.

I've been watching TNFNS for quite a few years. I don't think I saw the first two seasons (when the Hearty Boys and Guy Fieri won) but have watched it since. I know some people liked the changed format last season where they had teams with mentors (kind of like The Worst Cook in America format), but I'm glad they went back to the old format. The winner last year (Justin whose-last-name-I-don't-recall) was someone I liked but he's too esoteric, and they really haven't been able to find a use for him on the network. There was a run several years back where they had back-to-back seasons where they even gave runners-up their own shows. I think those were my favorite years. I also remember several people who didn't win in various years but whom I can still think of and follow when I see them pop up somewhere; e.g., Jeffrey Saad (who is now on Cooking Channel), Lisa Garza (who was annoying when on but clearly talented), and Kelsey, the very young perky blonde.

I like Stacey this year, and my husband pointed out that she had a failing restaurant featured on Restaurant Impossible. I didn't remember her from that but he did. They also have someone (Chris) who was a runner-up in the Food Truck Race a couple years ago. (On that topic, I much prefer the food truck show to the food court one, which I doubt I'll watch this summer.)

This season has pretty much been a disaster, but we keep watching it.  I would be shocked if anyone but Stacey won the show, but I was also shocked that Nikki got kicked off last week.  Not only was she great on camera, but she often made very good food and had a good point of view (meat on the side).  While Stacey is also all of those things, the other three contestants - Damaris, Rodney, Russell - are kind of a joke to me.  In particular, Rodney and Russell move on week to week, and seemingly have no good qualities other than the fact that they are so rough around the edges that the Food Network wants to prove that they can mold them into great food show hosts.

Whatever, I am getting worked up just talking about it and I don't even like the show.  What am I doing with my life!?

This season has pretty much been a disaster, but we keep watching it.  I would be shocked if anyone but Stacey won the show, but I was also shocked that Nikki got kicked off last week.  Not only was she great on camera, but she often made very good food and had a good point of view (meat on the side).  While Stacey is also all of those things, the other three contestants - Damaris, Rodney, Russell - are kind of a joke to me.  In particular, Rodney and Russell move on week to week, and seemingly have no good qualities other than the fact that they are so rough around the edges that the Food Network wants to prove that they can mold them into great food show hosts.

Whatever, I am getting worked up just talking about it and I don't even like the show.  What am I doing with my life!?

Ditto. But I watch because Rodney is local-he needs some polish but if he can get it together I could see him being successful.  But Stacey needs to go; she's annoying. Like fingernails on a chalkboard. Nikki should have stayed, at least for one more week.

Rodney has a personality, and a hook (the pie thing) to where I could conceivably watch his show, if it were put together properly. The chances of that happening are probably around 5%, but it's something. I couldn't imagine watching Nikki at all.

Rodney definitely has a personality, but is that enough to make a good show around?  I feel like he struggles with the most basic presentation tasks on the show and, to be honest, his food has been pretty terrible this season (no, I have not eaten what he has made on the show, but they more often than not comment that his food is terrible).  And, maybe I am missing something on this one, but do you think that more people would tune into a show where the guy always makes pies?  Or the woman who always tries to make vegetables the star of the dish, but doesn't want to eliminate meat altogether?

By the way, I want to make something clear, I have had many great things at Dangerously Delicious Pies and I really like Rodney.  I just don't think Rodney is doing well at all in this competition.

One more thing, as little polish as Rodney has, Russell has about the same amount (which is not very much).  But, at least Rodney has a point of view, I have no freakin clue how Russell spins his seven culinary sins into a TV show that makes any sense.

Overall, I liken this to the Major League Baseball Draft.  Teams are often enamored with the high school pitcher that has all the upside in the world, so they draft him over that college outfielder who has been an All American two times.  Sometimes I feel that people would prefer to make something out of nothing, and only do that once in 100 tries, instead of picking conservatively and being right 99 out of 100 times.

Rodney has a personality, and a hook (the pie thing) to where I could conceivably watch his show, if it were put together properly. The chances of that happening are probably around 5%, but it's something. I couldn't imagine watching Nikki at all.

How many things can you make into a pie? Or would you want to? I don't see how that's a show that can carry on long term at all. As much as I love that the guy is local and the few pies I've had from him have been tasty.

I think the meat on the side is the clearest POV and I think a lot of people would like that idea. Most Americans don't want to give up their meat, but the idea that vegetarianism is more healthy or morally superior is pretty popular (if uninformed imo but that's another topic :P) a la Meatless Mondays, etc. so I think it could stick. Honestly though, I think there's a niche for Stacey's POV and she could be the most successful. She also seems to make good food most of the time.

I think it's funny that I watch this show, but don't actually watch anything else - not a single show - on The Food Network. For some reason though, mostly because there's not much to watch in the summer, I always end up watching this show.

• Like 1

How many things can you make into a pie? Or would you want to? I don't see how that's a show that can carry on long term at all. As much as I love that the guy is local and the few pies I've had from him have been tasty.

I think the meat on the side is the clearest POV and I think a lot of people would like that idea. Most Americans don't want to give up their meat, but the idea that vegetarianism is more healthy or morally superior is pretty popular (if uninformed imo but that's another topic :P) a la Meatless Mondays, etc. so I think it could stick. Honestly though, I think there's a niche for Stacey's POV and she could be the most successful. She also seems to make good food most of the time.

I think it's funny that I watch this show, but don't actually watch anything else - not a single show - on The Food Network. For some reason though, mostly because there's not much to watch in the summer, I always end up watching this show.

I missed last week's show and only saw the end of the week before (but that was just them bringing Lovely back to cut her again).  I thought Nikki did have a good POV and presence.  Sometimes the highly specialized shows end up doing okay.  I actually tune into Jeff Mauro's Sandwich King show (though I think he's one who got s show despite being a runner up).  He and his production people do a good job putting out episodes that combine a restaurant's version of something or the purveyor of the ingredients talking with him and his recreating related sandwiches as part of a meal.  I don't know how many episodes that is good for, but I've liked the ones I've seen.

One problem Rodney has had is that his speaking isn't intelligible, though I guess that's gotten better.  He's got experience as a performer, but if he can't getting the spoken part right, it's hard seeing him with a tv show, even though he has a schtick.

I could see him having a show where he travels to other places a lot, maybe tasting pies across the country or something if like you said he could get the talking down. He does certainly have the personality. But a show where he just cooks something on air in a set kitchen, not so much. But I forget a lot of these shows aren't just cooking anymore. Because I don't watch them. :P

I have also pretty much given up on the Food Network, so the likely answer to all of these questions is that no, I would not watch their shows. However, I think Choirgirl21 is right on Rodney, his show would need to feature him traveling around. He could eat pies, pizzas, whatever, and they could throw some music in there as well.  I would almost certainly not watch it, but I could see it. Russel appears to be a better cook, at least within the constructs of this competition, but I agree, I have absolutely no idea what his point of view is, and he tends to be a disaster on camera. 

So I'm watching right now on a bit of a Tivo delay and I have to say, now that I'm watching the pitches, the one show I might actually tune into is the Pie Guy show. I probably wouldn't end up watching more than a few episodes, but the concept totally changed how I feel about him. This show I can actually see working.

So I'm watching right now on a bit of a Tivo delay and I have to say, now that I'm watching the pitches, the one show I might actually tune into is the Pie Guy show. I probably wouldn't end up watching more than a few episodes, but the concept totally changed how I feel about him. This show I can actually see working.

Not surprisingly, it's also essentially the same concept as The Sandwich King.  ("I can turn anything into a sandwich.")

Damaris grates on me...a lot.  The network, however, has a hole in its programming where Paula Deen used to be, so they may be looking for another Southern female with a big personality to do Southern food.  And Paula usually would have someone cooking with her in the kitchen and banter with, as this show is designed to do.

I see that they're having people vote again on who wins, but ever since the Amy Finley debacle, I don't think they let the public be the sole deciding factor.  For at least a season after her win, they took the voting out.  When they brought it back, I think they did it with more caution.

OK, finally watched the pilots last night. Agree with Choirgirl21, I thought all of the shows were decent. I initially feared I'd need to root/vote against Rodney because of the Guy Fieri factor, only to have him ruin every other segment (for me) as well.  Well played Food Network.

Rodney's is the one that I could conceive of watching on occasion. I liked the concept in general, it involves some of the better elements of Bobby Flay's Throwdown. I've also eaten a very good meal in the restaurant where he filmed this (and that place is quite nice, and I don't remember even seeing a grilled cheese sandwich on the menu when we went there).  I would likely never watch Demaris's show (and I feel that an essential part of that pilot should have been her shaving off that dude's ridiculous mustache).  Russell's, eh, maybe.

I was disappointed in the results but, eh. I'd love to know if this truly was decided only by viewer voting.

I was thinking Rodney and sins guy would have attracted similar people versus those who would like the southern girl (sorry, tired, names are totally escaping is right now) so maybe votes ended up being divided b/w the 2 guys letting the other one win?

I was thinking Rodney and sins guy would have attracted similar people versus those who would like the southern girl (sorry, tired, names are totally escaping is right now) so maybe votes ended up being divided b/w the 2 guys letting the other one win?

That could quite likely be true.  Rodney got more votes than Russell, so Russell was eliminated first, but the number he got was enough to keep Rodney from winning.

In the past, they have allowed the viewers to pick the winner.  This season, they were pretty clear that the viewers and the network would be picking the winner.  No idea how that works, but my guess is that whoever gets the least amount of votes is booted and the network picks from the remaining two contestants.

If you did not watch the entire season and only watched the three pilots, I could see why you would think that these three contestants had a good chance at making a good show.  But, if you watched every episode, the idea that Russell was a finalist is almost laughable, he was always on the bottom.

With all of that being said, the pilots were, for the most part, very good (which tends to happen with editing and production value).  I still don't get Russell's show - I'll taste your cabernet sauvignon sorbet and I will make you bacon bourbon ice cream!?  It just was a crappy idea based around a crappy premise - how does bacon differ from fat, or for that fact ice cream, when you are talking about culinary sins?

Either way, I really liked the pilots from Damaris and Rodney.  I'm not convinced that Rodney's pie ever would taste good, based on his performance on the show, but he is a good fit for a show like that.  I also like Damaris' show idea as well, even if it likely won't be much about the food.  And, with what I know about reality TV, I would not be surprised to see the "couples" played by actors that have never met each other before.

In the past, they have allowed the viewers to pick the winner.  This season, they were pretty clear that the viewers and the network would be picking the winner.  No idea how that works, but my guess is that whoever gets the least amount of votes is booted and the network picks from the remaining two contestants.

If you did not watch the entire season and only watched the three pilots, I could see why you would think that these three contestants had a good chance at making a good show.  But, if you watched every episode, the idea that Russell was a finalist is almost laughable, he was always on the bottom.

With all of that being said, the pilots were, for the most part, very good (which tends to happen with editing and production value).  I still don't get Russell's show - I'll taste your cabernet sauvignon sorbet and I will make you bacon bourbon ice cream!?  It just was a crappy idea based around a crappy premise - how does bacon differ from fat, or for that fact ice cream, when you are talking about culinary sins?

Either way, I really liked the pilots from Damaris and Rodney.  I'm not convinced that Rodney's pie ever would taste good, based on his performance on the show, but he is a good fit for a show like that.  I also like Damaris' show idea as well, even if it likely won't be much about the food.  And, with what I know about reality TV, I would not be surprised to see the "couples" played by actors that have never met each other before.

Some years ago they allowed the viewers to pick.  That's how they ended up with Amy Finley, which was a disaster.  (I personally liked her, but the behind-the-scenes stuff going on sounded nuts, and the viewers had no way of knowing about that.)  The network was picking after that, before they switched back to an an audience-input model, but without ceding control completely to the viewers.  This year it sounded like they had the viewers picking the winner again, but I'm skeptical about that based on the past.   Everything I saw made it sound like the viewers were choosing.  If not, this takes me back to the theory that they needed someone to fill the Paula Deen space.

Russell had repeated problems, but sometimes they like the storyline of the contestant who hangs in there and improves.  I was surprised to see him in the final 3, though.  I imagine he and/or Rodney may end up with their own shows anyway, based on the way that's gone in past seasons. Somebody at the network sees something in them.

One thing that's surprised me this season, or maybe I haven't had the tv on enough <_<, is that they usually re-air the episodes a lot during the series and run them all again the afternoon/evening of the finale, which they didn't this time.  I figured I'd catch the 1+ episodes I missed during a re-airing but never saw the chance.