Evening Star Farm Fresh Dinner

Escoffier

Evening Star has created a Farmers Table where 14 lucky people get to eat Chef Will Artley's excellent food paired with wines from Planet Wine. I want to gauge interest in having a special dinner for 14 people at Evening Star. Food will come from selected local farms and will be prepared specially for the lucky 14. Past dinners have spotlighted dishes such as Spring Lamb with tasso ham and local cheddar grits and braised spinach; wild mushroom & thyme stuffed Amish chicken with braised field greens and potato gratin; Goat cheese and vine ripened local yellow tomato gazpacho with cucumber relish; and lots more goodies.

Dinners with appetizers such as Va country ham and cheddar biscuits, an opening course such as gazpacho, and a main course of plan roasted Salmon with Summer succotash, roasted fingerling potatoes and tomato beurre blanc, Wild mushroom and thyme stuffed Amish chicken or Grilled Hanger Steak with garlicky mashed potatoes, pan tossed baby green beans and demi glace, a cheese course and dessert have been priced under $50. This is an excellent way to support local food producers and enjoy amazing food and wine at a amazingly low price. Under Chef Artley, Evening Star is rapidly becoming a destination dining venue. Sign up and find out what a hidden gem exists in Del Ray.

Evening Star has created a Farmers Table where 14 lucky people get to eat Chef Will Artley's excellent food paired with wines from Planet Wine. I want to gauge interest in having a special dinner for 14 people at Evening Star. Food will come from selected local farms and will be prepared specially for the lucky 14. Past dinners have spotlighted dishes such as Spring Lamb with tasso ham and local cheddar grits and braised spinach; wild mushroom & thyme stuffed Amish chicken with braised field greens and potato gratin; Goat cheese and vine ripened local yellow tomato gazpacho with cucumber relish; and lots more goodies.

Dinners with appetizers such as Va country ham and cheddar biscuits, an opening course such as gazpacho, and a main course of plan roasted Salmon with Summer succotash, roasted fingerling potatoes and tomato beurre blanc, Wild mushroom and thyme stuffed Amish chicken or Grilled Hanger Steak with garlicky mashed potatoes, pan tossed baby green beans and demi glace, a cheese course and dessert have been priced under $50. This is an excellent way to support local food producers and enjoy amazing food and wine at a amazingly low price. Under Chef Artley, Evening Star is rapidly becoming a destination dining venue. Sign up and find out what a hidden gem exists in Del Ray.

I think I remember Chef saying that these dinners were held Sunday nights?

Sounds great! We already have two DR.com dinners in August (what?!? Yes! Two! New Heights and Mystery Dinner -- stay tuned!), as well as a dim sum gathering, but Tripewriter and I would be interested in attending such a dinner at Evening Star in September :lol:

Claudia and I are in... just not the last week in August.

New Heights is a public event I think, not a DR event

Hopefully Mystery Dinner = mystery meat... yumo

Sounds great! We already have two DR.com dinners in August (what?!? Yes! Two! New Heights and Mystery Dinner -- stay tuned!), as well as a dim sum gathering, but Tripewriter and I would be interested in attending such a dinner at Evening Star in September :lol:

Okay, let's see, we have the following people expressing interest so far:

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston +1

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

We're more than half way there. Shall we decide on an date and should I approach Chef Artley about designing a menu for us?

I'd be willing, depending on the day and time. Sounds yummy no matter what...
I think I've volunteered goodeats to be the gracious official hostess (I don't think she knows it yet). I'm going to talk to Chef Artley Monday night and see what he thinks and what he'd like to feed us (a lot depends on what's fresh the day of the dinner). I've added you to the list. I think this will be an excellent dinner if what I've eaten at Evening Star is any indication. (Carrot soup with house roasted walnuts and aioli, roast porkloin dipped in an organic potato chip batter (damn fine and an amazingly wonderful flavor. Even though I was full, I finished every bite)).

I think I've volunteered goodeats to be the gracious official hostess (I don't think she knows it yet).
Guess I do now!! :lol:

The initial date that came to mind was Sunday, August 31, because the next day is Labor Day, so dinner can be nice and leisurely without struggling at work the next day. I also know that people travel that weekend, so here are some other dates:

1. To keep in the spirit of Sunday dinners: Sept. 7 or 14 (keeping in line with Walrus's suggestion for early September too.).

2. Weekday options for early Sept.: Tuesday, Sept. 2 (a good break for post-Labor day) or Wednesday, Sept. 10 (celebrate hump day!).

3. Open to other suggestions.

If it's the weekday, it'll be a 7:30pm-ish dinnertime, so that people can rest up for the next work day.

Opinions? Thoughts? Please discuss. Thanks!!!

8/31 No

9/7 or 9/14 yes

9/2 yes <= BEST DAY

9/16 yes

Please put Cluadia and I on the list

Now you didn't think I'd overlook you, did you? The list so far:

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

I just joined but evening star is in my neighborhood and i'd love to check it out. i can do any of those dates except for the tuesday one although wednesday works best.
Does September 7 work for you? We'd love to have you come along. I met with the chef last night (okay, we actually had dinner together) and he's talking some seriously great food. I'll let goodeats drop more hints but, she's right...suckling pig will be the evenings final course.

The Farmers Table dinner at Evening Star Cafe on Mount Vernon Avenue in the Del Ray section of Alexandria will be held on September 7th at 7:00pm. There is room for 14 lucky diners. The attendees so far:

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

IlanaKS

StephenB

I'd like to welcome you all. I hope you're looking forward to this event as much as Grover and I. Chef Will Artley has promised an evening of fine food locally sourced.

Could I please also be added to the attendees list? Anyone carpoolin from Arlington? Gas money is a lot more well spent than cab fare! :lol:

Eta: "in better company 2!"

Welcome!

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

IlanaKS

StephenB

SrtaJRosa

It appears there is room for one more. If that's still the case, I would like to attend.
Welcome!

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

IlanaKS

StephenB

SrtaJRosa

u-bet!

and just a reminder, the dinner is going to be September 7, starting around 7:30. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Goodeats is a very gracious hostess (and I'm my usual curmudgeonly self) and Will Artley is a great chef.

We have now reached the limit of 14 people. If you'd like to come but didn't manage to make the initial 14, respond here and we'll start a wait list. Sometimes peoples schedules and plans change and perhaps you can be added. If there is enough, we'll schedule another dinner for the next 14.

If I'm in town, I'd happily sit down for a dinner prepared by Will. :lol: Unfortunately the only nights I'm in town of those suggested would be the 7th or 10th of September.
it's on for the 7th. You're the first person on the wait list.

Wait-list

MelGold

I might just be missing it (I do that sometimes!), but although I see that the dinner will be less than $50, I don't see a total price anywhere -- can you let me/us know what the damage will be?

Thanks!

$50 with no wine...$65 with wine...3 pass around appetizers, 4 courses (4th course is Amish suckling pig), dessert. I should have the finished menu sometime this week but I talked to the chef today and he's really excited about this dinner.

$50 with no wine...$65 with wine...3 pass around appetizers, 4 courses (4th course is Amish suckling pig), dessert. I should have the finished menu sometime this week but I talked to the chef today and he's really excited about this dinner.

Rock on!!!

Does this price include tip, emolument, what have you?

I hope your patience will be rewarded. Here is the menu, designed exclusively for the lucky fourteen.

Pass around appetizers

Grilled Habenaro & Diamond Cheddar biscuits with flash-fried Dragon Creek oysters

"Ice Cream Cones" House-made Waffle cones with sushi grade tuna tartare and whipped wasabi

Chilled English Pea Soup with Minted Creme Fraiche and Pistachio Dusting

Main Course

1st Course - Trio of Heirloom Tomatoes:

- Napoleon with grilled watermelon, Heirloom Tomato & Basil & Goat Cheese Mousse

- Farmhouse Gazpacho with Spicy Cucumber Ice

- Tomato tartare with House Braised Bacon and Tomato Caviar

2nd Course - Roquefort and Brown Butter Gnocchi with Prince Edward Island Mussels and a Chardonnay and Sage Froth

3rd Course - Seared Sea Scallops with Fava Bean & local Wild Mushroom succotash and a Virginia Sweet Corn Sabayon

4th Course - Amish Suckling Pig Basted in Apple Butter

Followed by dessert which will be decided on the evening of the dinner.

If you select the wine pairings, you will be served wines chosen specifically for this dinner from the extensive collection of Planet Wine.

Query about payment for this dinner. Are we doing cash like the Vidalia dinner last night? Or is the new Paypal system coming for this? I didn't know what Evening Star wished to do.
well hello everyone i just wanted to let you know we will be taking payment the night of the dinner. cash or credit. i am very excited for the dinner and look foward to having you all as my guest.

Query about payment for this dinner. Are we doing cash like the Vidalia dinner last night? Or is the new Paypal system coming for this? I didn't know what Evening Star wished to do.
I think everyone can pay by cash or credit card at the restaurant. I don't think that will be a problem (but I'll check just the same).

well hello everyone i just wanted to let you know we will be taking payment the night of the dinner. cash or credit. i am very excited for the dinner and look foward to having you all as my guest.
Every time I look at this menu, I get hungry all over again. I want to thank you for the effort you've put into creating the menu and I am really looking forward to this.

Is there a waiting list for this meal..or an extra seat?? :lol:
right now there isn't a extra seat but there is a waiting list (albeit a short one). As the date gets closer, keep an eye on this, sometimes circumstances dictate that someone has to drop out. I'll also keep watch for you. Otherwise, you'll be first in line for the next Evening Star dinner for 14.

right now there isn't a extra seat but there is a waiting list (albeit a short one). As the date gets closer, keep an eye on this, sometimes circumstances dictate that someone has to drop out. I'll also keep watch for you. Otherwise, you'll be first in line for the next Evening Star dinner for 14.
Hello everyone, just wanted to give you a oppurtunity to see the scallop dish ill have during my farm to fork dinner on september 10th monday on WUSA9 @ 9am.

Thank you for the quick response! The following 14 will join us. The meal is $50 with no wine pairing and $65 with wine per person, tax & tip included.

Welcome!

Escoffier

Grover

Goodeats

Scott Johnston

Cucas87

aaronsinger

Walrus

Tripewriter

TheMatt

Nashman1975

IlanaKS

StephenB

SrtaJRosa

u-bet!

NCPinDC

dalaii

and just a reminder, the dinner is going to be this Sunday, September 7, starting around 7:30. Looking forward to seeing everyone. For directions, click here.