dr.com Dinner at Vidalia

Walrus

Come join your fellow Rockweilers at Vidalia on Wednesday, August 20, at 6:30 pm for a 5-course meal by Chef RJ Cooper!

The cost is $120/head, which includes passed hors d'oeuvres, a 5-course tasting menu, wine pairings for each course, complementary Fiji water, tax, and tip! Cost for nondrinkers will be $90/head.

There are only 40 places available for this amazing event, so sign up now! PM me with your name and the number of people in your party.

The menu will be posted closer to the event.

For more information about Vidalia, see http://www.vidaliadc.com/.

See you there!

Hello all Rockheads,

We are vary excited to host this summer dinner with you all. We have started working on the menu which is posted. Ed, Mike, Khoa, Harper, John the Bull and I will be talking wine soon and will do the pairings this weekend. We really want you all to have fun and enjoy.

As well we will do a vegetable menu for that evening for the non meat eaters.

More to come in the future we are just ironing out all the details

rocking out with the rock heads

reception

rappohanick middleneck clam, lemon flavorings

melon, lardo, old balsamic vinegar

cauliflower, parmesan, caviar

amuse bouche

gazpacho, scallop, vebena

first course

smoked foie gras, cherry, cocoa

second course

farm egg, sweetbread, tongue

third course

barramundi, tasso, shellfish

4th course

japanese kurgoe brisket, trumpet mushrooms

5th course

whopper

mignardises

Well, this teetotaler is eagerly awaiting the dry price. But, the postdoc in me has another question: what is the dress code of Vidalia? I ask because, well, I don't own a suit/jacket (and I'm proud of it). I usually wear polos, khakis, etc., but I didn't know if that is too casual for a place as eminent as this.

I am away that week - Myrtle Beach with the kids. This will be a GREAT dinner - Don't miss it!

Have been to Vidalia thrice before (including one DR special meal). NEVER been disappointed (Not cheap but on the WORTH IT list).

Well, this teetotaler is eagerly awaiting the dry price. But, the postdoc in me has another question: what is the dress code of Vidalia? I ask because, well, I don't own a suit/jacket (and I'm proud of it). I usually wear polos, khakis, etc., but I didn't know if that is too casual for a place as eminent as this.

you may dress as you like!!!!!!! its summer and hot be comfortable but please no flip flops

you may dress as you like!!!!!!! its summer and hot be comfortable but please no flip flops
Thanks! Ooh, and please do pass on the veggie menu when you can. More likely than not, that will be I.

Huh, veg menu and no wines. I'm the life of the party!

Thanks! Ooh, and please do pass on the veggie menu when you can. More likely than not, that will be I.

Huh, veg menu and no wines. I'm the life of the party!

Chef RJ says that the veggie menu will be available the week before the event -- sounds like you all are getting menus a la minute, based on what's fabulous in the market that week!

Chef RJ says that the veggie menu will be available the week before the event -- sounds like you all are getting menus a la minute, based on what's fabulous in the market that week!
Ooooh. Temptation, thy name is DR.com... I'm beginning to salivate.

the final if all goes well this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocking out with the rock heads

reception

rappohanick middleneck clam, lemon flavorings N.V. Cuvée 20, Brut, J Winery, Russian River, California

melon, lardo, old balsamic vinegar

cauliflower, parmesan, caviar

amuse bouche

gazpacho, scallop, vebena 2006 Sylvaner, Trocken, Muller-Catoir, Pfalz, Germany

first course

smoked foie gras, cherry, cocoa N.V. Crème Sherry, Bodegas Hidalgo, Alameda, Jerez, Spain

second course

farm egg, sweetbread, tongue 2006 Marsanne, Domaine du Tunnel, Rhone, France

third course

barramundi, tasso, shellfish 2006 Rosé, Les Domaniers, Domaine Ott, Provence, France

fourth course

japanese kurgoe brisket, trumpet mushrooms 2006 Zweigelt, Reserve, Sattler, Neusiedlersee, Austria

fifth course

whopper N.V. Pedro Ximenez, Solera 1927, Alvear, Montilla, Spain

mignardises

Howdy Rockweilers!

We still need a couple more people to make this work, so come on, sign up! You won't find a better deal than this -- nibbles, 5 courses, wine, tax, tip, private room, and, of course, the fabulous Rockwell community as your dining companions!

Howdy Rockweilers!

We still need a couple more people to make this work, so come on, sign up! You won't find a better deal than this -- nibbles, 5 courses, wine, tax, tip, private room, and, of course, the fabulous Rockwell community as your dining companions!

Grover and I love RJ's food. He even made StephenB extremely happy so you know the food is excellent. I hate to miss this but we'll either be in or returning from Cape Cod at that time.

Last chance to sign up for this dinner!

This is the list of attendees as of today:

Walrus + 1

Scott Johnston + 3

Amit + 1

ZoraMargolis + 1

ScotteeM + 1

Nashman1975

1000yregg

Dan Cole

TheMatt

brr + 1

michey1st + 1

porcupine

goodeats

Hi everyone!

This event is officially full! We do have a waiting list, though, just in case, so please don't hesitate to PM me if you're interested :lol:

Thanks to all who have signed up -- I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday! Please bring cash with which to pay the restaurant (NB: if this is a problem, please just let me know!) -- $120/head, which includes passed hors d'oeuvres, a 5-course tasting menu, wine pairings for each course, complementary Fiji water, tax, and tip! Cost for nondrinkers is $90/head ;)

See you all soon!

<snip>This event is officially full! We do have a waiting list, though, just in case, so please don't hesitate to PM me if you're interested ;)

:lol: ? Must be some kind of new math that I missed in school!

There are only 40 places available for this amazing event, so sign up now! PM me with your name and the number of people in your party.

:lol: ? Must be some kind of new math that I missed in school!
The restaurant let us know today that because as of last week we only had about 14 people sign up, they put us in a smaller -- and more fabulous -- room than we had first anticipated -- sorry for any confusion!

The restaurant let us know today that because as of last week we only had about 14 people sign up, they put us in a smaller -- and more fabulous -- room than we had first anticipated -- sorry for any confusion!
I hope it seats more than 14... :lol:

And remember that's at least one teetotalling vegetarian. Man, think of the profit margin I'm giving them...

Just a quick question, but has the vegetarian menu been finalized yet? Or will it be based on, essentially, that day's produce?

Matt, don't worry about it. With RJ Cooper at the stove, you gotta just relax and go for the ride, trusting that you are going to be astonished and more than satisfied. I didn't even look at the menu when I signed up. It's like going into a really good sushi bar, sitting down in front of a sushi chef who knows what he is doing, and just saying "omakase": feed me whatever you think is best--I trust you.

Hay all!!!

Im just coming up for air from restaurant week!!!!!!! Ill write the menu for veg menu on tuesday when we get the farm orders in which is monday and tuesday afternoons.

Please be patient.

Patient...nooooo! Now now now now! :lol:

Oh, and a couple of other food-unrelated questions for the topic. First, does Vidalia do valet parking? I'm still hoping I can do Metro, but circumstances might force me to drive. If so, how much, so I can grab some extra moolah.

Second, how shall we identify ourselves at the door so we are directed to the correct location?

I can't speak to the valet, but I can say that in previous events, I've just told the host/ess that I'm with the DonRockwell dinner (or DR.com group, etc.), and have been steered in the right direction. Tripewriter and I will also be there, so you can always just look for us :lol: We'll probably be getting a drink at the bar; the dinner itself is in the Wine Room, which is supposed to be faboo!

I can't speak to the valet, but I can say that in previous events, I've just told the host/ess that I'm with the DonRockwell dinner (or DR.com group, etc.), and have been steered in the right direction. Tripewriter and I will also be there, so you can always just look for us :lol: We'll probably be getting a drink at the bar; the dinner itself is in the Wine Room, which is supposed to be faboo!

valet is 8 dollars and you shouldnt have a problem finding everyone. The room is the wine room. Just ask the hostess!!!!!

okay no for the veg menu!!!!!!!!

amuse-------cucumber soup w/verbena sorbet

1st-----------tasting of heirloom tomatoes, lemon basil

2nd----------bulls blood-beet ravioli, red vein sorrel, beurre fondue

3rd----------vidalia onion bread pudding, path valley baby carrots, ginger-carrot emuslion

4th----------yellowfin potato pave, king trumpet mushrooms, summer truffle, camembert fondue

5th----------dessert!!!!!!!!!

the person who is allergic to onions (not Valida) we will do a menu a la minute for. Please email or what you all call pm me the list of allergies please.

we will see you soon

rj

What a special dinner this was! The menu as published was splendid, and a couple of surprise courses took it over the top. Walrus, thank you for organizing this, and sorry that you and Tripewriter missed the evening. Thanks to Chef Cooper and staff for a delicious dinner with impeccable service.

And thanks to our special surprise guest, who arrived in time to admire our meat course and the desserts as we enjoyed them.

Chef Cooper, have a great vacation and ride safe!

I do have one suggestion for future events of this nature: I think it would be best to return to the previous method of paying ahead, using PayPal, for example, and either paying the restaurant the total amount ahead of time or having a person designated to pay the tab at the dinner.
Agree. Need to figure out a good account format to pay ahead, in case of last-minute absentees. The restaurant is doing a special menu for our group, so it can be frustrating when the number calculated for the food decreases and they can't serve that to the general public nor get the money back for the grocery money. THANK YOU Walrus for setting this up -- you and Tripewriter were missed.

THANK YOU times 1000000 (tripled cubed) to Chef RJ, who not only planned a wonderful menu, accommodated non-meat eaters and crazy people like me (who onions are my stomach's worst enemy), BUT also regaled us with surprises and wonderful stories.

Many people took pictures to share and more to come.

I'm glad it was such a success -- and truly sad that there wasn't room at the inn for us! Next time :lol:

About paying in advance, I'm happy to talk with Don about options! I do know that PayPal, for example, tacks on an extra fee for usage -- would people be willing to pay extra for the convenience?

It truly was a splendid evening! Thank you to everyone in attendance for making me and my +1 feel welcome, thanks to Walrus for organizing the festivities, and special thanks to Chef RJ and his wonderfully attentive staff. It was my first time at Vidalia, and WOW was it fabulous!

I am already looking forward to the bird-themed feast that was hinted at last night. (more farm eggs please, kthx *swoons*)

Have a safe trip, RJ!

What I will take away from tonight: an image of chef RJ standing there tossing around a white truffle like it were an apple.

Thank you, goodeats and other tablemates, for the pleasure of your company. But mostly, thank you goodeats for giving me bites of your vegetarian goodness.

Thank you, Walrus, for putting this all together.

Thank you, Don, for saying hi next time.

Thank you, RJ, for the awesomeness I am currently turning to poo.

And ladies and gentlemen, onto the food. I apologize for the quality of these pictures. Hard to believe, I know, but the lighting in Vidalia is meant to accentuate the food, not make for ease of photography.

ot5832p000fln6.png

I didn't get any pictures of the passed apps, but I can tell you that the clams were the best I've ever tasted.

2784268160_03c18a45a4_m.jpg

Tomato-y goodness.

2783416011_ba221db051_m.jpg

I had a similar foie dish on my birthday at Vidalia. Probably my all-time favorite cold preparation.

2784268990_fcda98e995_m.jpg

This was probably my second favorite dish of the night. RJ's wife is a lucky woman, given his skill with tongue.

2783416907_dd37bf796b_m.jpg

Okay, I know my photo makes this look more like a villain on Star Trek than the best dish of the night, but bear with me. It's not on the menu above, it was a surprise. It's a perfect potato ravioli with white truffles and other goodness. Apparently the only restaurants to get a batch of these particular gems were Per Se, French Laundry, and Vidalia. My only regret is that I didn't swoop up, steal the plates of the rest of the diners, and dash out into a back alley to eat as many as I could.

2784269674_12ca387d21_m.jpg

I don't know if this broth was meant to be eaten like a soup, but if I didn't have a spoon I would have just upended my plate into my face.

2784269984_641c45f518_m.jpg

The kuroge brisket was brined for FORTY FIVE DAYS. I don't know what exactly can happen to the meat in 45 days that didn't already happen in two or three, but whatever it was - - - thank you, time.

2784270294_758f9f5288_m.jpg

A close up of the steak and potatoes.

Continued...

Continued from above...

2784270530_966490bab6_m.jpg

ANOTHER off menu surprise: goat cheese bavarian with stewed blueberries and a black olive madeleine. Best goat cheese dish EVER. Like eating a cloud made of cream and sugar and complexity.

2783418411_b9525b5ee8_m.jpg

As a hamburger fan, I will admit to a little disappointment that the "whopper" on the menu was not RJ's take on the Burger King classic, but rather on Whopper CANDY. But hey, it was incredible. Wonderful chocolateyness.

I didn't get any shots of the mignardises, but they were every bit as good as the rest of the meal. Wine pairings were wonderful and generously poured. The price was unbeatable.

2783459717_77996f2e08_m.jpg

Back in the kitchen, something I happen to strongly agree with in all aspects of my life:

-Dedication, determination, focus, and finesse.

-Simplicity is complexity resolved.

-Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.

Another big hoorah to everyone who made this happen!!!

Higher res photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancole42/set...867946408/show/

Indeed - absolutely a wonderful dinner and excellent company. Special thanks to Walrus and Tripewriter for organzing it all.

Who knew a Wolverine could prepare such an exquisite meal? :lol:

I'd like to echo everyone elses thanks and raves about the dinner. Special thanks to the wonderful, wonderful servers....they were fantastic

As I woke this morning at 6 am to the sounds (in stereo mind you) of papa papa!!!! I was imagining what we could have done better in last nights dinner. The conclusion is none. We all made the evening special, we (or I) could not have made it possible without our team: Mike, Ed, Khoa, Harper, Bull, Sara, my many talented cooks, the great servers. But what else makes it special is the community.

Harper once asked me what does local mean to me. It is not just buying ingredients for the region but its the community that surrounds the concept.

The rockwell.com community is one of locality and support, when I first met Don and read these blogs it occurred to me that this media outlet is extremely supportive to what we as cooks in this city are doing.

So again thank you for letting us show you all what we are doing and thank you for the generous accolades and support.

Have a great end to summer!!!!!!!!

RJ Cooper

I hope this falls into the "better late than never" category, but I really wanted to show off Chef RJ's skills on the vegetarian menu as well. A GREAT BIG thank you for accommodating my tackles with onions (stupid ulcer) and creating something even more separate and special -- I really, truly, appreciate the time to prepare yet another set of a few of the dishes.

amuse-------gazpacho w/verbena sorbet

post-2127-1219711815_thumb.jpg

Tart & refreshing, but really smooth.

1st-----------tasting of heirloom tomatoes, lemon basil

post-2127-1219711616_thumb.jpg

Highlighting the in-season tomatoes. I really enjoyed the tomatoes stuffed with anchovies. The lemon gelee complimented the tomatoes really well.

2nd----------bulls blood-beet ravioli, red vein sorrel, beurre fondue

post-2127-1219711640_thumb.jpg

This was a great dish, but I was really blown-away by the blood-beet filling -- it made such a great picture.

3rd----------king trumpet mushrooms with black truffle sauce and gnocchi (accommodation dish)

post-2127-1219711682_thumb.jpg

Technically, this is the fourth, as the surprise white truffle dish came after my ravioli dish. The gnocchi was perfect in texture and taste -- I haven't had such good gnocchi in a long time! The king trumpet mushrooms were flavorful, juicy upon the first bite, and super-rich after a few that I *had* to share with my tablemates. Who can say no to truffle sauce and mushrooms?!

4th----------yellowfin potato pave, wax beans, and grilled zucchini and squash (accommodation dish)

post-2127-1219711714_thumb.jpg

I really think the sunburst tomatoes stole the show, even though the potato pave was really excellent, layer after layer. I may have missed a bit of the flavor the onions would have brought out, but I enjoyed the summery-ness of this dish.

Thank you Walrus for organizing; thank you Don for being you.

Thank you again Chef, and hope you are enjoying your trip!