Hurricane Relief Efforts

ebgbdc

ok, knowing what i do of DC-area restranteurs, I'm willing to bet there are some charity events in the works to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Can we use this thread to post information about Katrina benefits? Thanks!

[This is good, but please stay focused, and limit any postings to DC-area restaurants, grocery stores, etc. participating in relief efforts; for other efforts not having to do with the local food scene, there are many other fine organizations and websites that merit your attention.

Also, not to state the obvious, but an establishment donating 50% of sales on a given evening is being much more charitable than a restaurant donating, say, 5% of all desserts sold on a Tuesday. Shop wisely! Rocks.]

Over the next several weeks, the Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Vermilion, Tallula & Evening Star Cafe) will be holding a number of fundraising events to aid in relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina’s wrath in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana.

The group is planning a number of different opportunities for patrons and employees to contribute to the overall donation to the American Red Cross.

Fundraising events planned include:

Total Sales Donation Night - September 7th

A percentage of total sales from Tallula, Vermilion & Evening Star Café will be donated to the cause

Sweet Tribute - September 5 – 11th

Fifty percent of sales from all desserts sold during the week will be donated

Taste of the French Quarter – Dates TBA (I'll post as soon as I know)

Tallula and Evening Star Café will bring a taste of the French Quarter to Virginia with a tribute to the famed Café Du Monde. Beignets and hot coffee will be served with 100% of proceeds going to the fund.

Check Donations - Month of September

Guests will be given the opportunity to contribute to the American Red Cross on top of their night’s check. Those who wish to contribute to the fund can indicate a desired donation amount on a card enclosed with the bill. That amount will then be added to their bill.

Donations will also be collected during the live music performances throughout September at Vermilion and the Evening Star Café. Visit the website for Vermilion and Evening Star for live music schedules.

Planet Wine will also be collecting donations at both shops.

**Also, the employees working the lunch and dinner shifts at Vermilion on Labor Day have pledged to donate at least 50% of their tips from the day to the American Red Cross. Forget the cook-out at home...drive down to Old Town, eat some great food, and tip your waiters/bartenders/bus boys BIG on Monday!

Edited by MelGold

For the entire month of September, 5% of all draught beer sales at both the Brickskeller and RFD Washington will be donated to the Red Cross to help those affected by Katrina. The Brickskeller and RFD Washington will match those totals collected from draught beer sales and double the contribution. So you can do two very good things at once. You can drink great beers from the keg and help those truly in need.

I cross-posted this on the Gift basket thread in the Shopping and Cooking forum but thought it was important to have it here as well.

Those of you who read eGullet probably know Mayhaw Man, also known as Brooks Hamaker. Brooks lives in Louisiana and although parts of his house are still standing his entire town was destroyed.

Brooks runs an online gourmet food company called Gourmet Food Mall. This holiday season when you send out foodie gift baskets please consider buying from Brooks and supporting a Louisiana businessman.

I was at a meeting last night at Lone Star Steakhouse in Gaithersburg and was told by the waitress on Labor Day, Monday September 5th the restaurant will be donating 100% of sales (she pointed out the donation will be sales dollars not just daily profit) to the Hurricane relief fund.

So if you are in the area Monday (Exit 10, Clopper Road off 270), please stop in for at least a drink.

I am going to try and keep the calendar up to date on local food related Katrina fundraisers. In order to do so I will need a bit of help from you.

When you post info on this thread, and please continue to do so, I will add it to the calendar. If you could do it in the format that OliveDC used that would make it a lot easier.

posted on DCist:

What: Fundraiser for Hurricane Relief Efforts

When: Thursday, September 1st, 6:00pm-10:00pm

Where: Lounge 201, 201 Massachusetts Avenue, NE

Why: A good cause and half-price martinis

I'll try to update it every day or so but this is my busy time of year. At the bottom of the main page the events for the following 7 days will be listed. All fundraisers will start with Katrina and then have the name of the restaurant(s) involved.

Don't forget that all DonRockwell.com events have a * next to them.

Also, I will try my best to give credit when I get information from other boards such as dcist.com but unless it is included in the original post I will not be linking to those boards.

Thanks,

hillvalley

What: Katrina Fund raiser

Where: Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mt. Vernon Ave, Alexandria, Va 22305

(703) 836-6363

When: Wed, Sept 7th

All proceeds food and beverage to the American Red Cross

That funds are urgently needed to help victims of the recent ‘ Katrina Disaster’ needs no emphasis.

Bombay Curry Company, 3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria VA 22305, shall donate All Food & Beverage proceeds, Wednesday September 07th 2005 to the American Red Cross. So please stop by, have a nice Indian meal and support a good cause.

Due to the paucity of time I request you to please pass this along immediately to your friends, family or association members.

Thank you for your attention

Balraj Bhasin

For Directions etc. www.bombaycurrycompany.com or (703) 836-6363

I urge everyone on this website to attend this event, Monday, September 12th, from 11 until 3.  These are our city's culinary leaders gathering to drum up support for an outstanding cause, and it's our job as the dining community to step forward and pony up. 

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'll be there around 11:45

This Saturday, September 10th, from 9 AM til noon, Evening Star Cafe in Del Ray will be offering authentic Beignets and hot coffee, bringing a taste of the French Quarter to Virginia.

Cost is $5 per order with 100% of proceeds going to the American Red Cross and Catholic Relief Services for hurricane relief efforts on the Gulf Coast.

Come get them while they're hot!

Dino will be donating 25% of our total sales on Tuesday September 13.  Our wait staff is going to donate 25% of their gratuities (on a voluntary basis) as well.

Anyone planning to attend? I'll be there...would love to finally meet some of you lovely folks in person.

:lol:

This Saturday, September 10th, from 9 AM til noon, Evening Star Cafe in Del Ray will be offering authentic Beignets and hot coffee, bringing a taste of the French Quarter to Virginia. 

Cost is $5 per order with 100% of proceeds going to the American Red Cross and Catholic Relief Services for hurricane relief efforts on the Gulf Coast. 

YUM! I just may have to make a trek over to the old 'hood on Saturday morning!

This event was such a success, we're doing it again this Saturday (September 17th)! This time we're serving up the beignets & coffee at Tallula from 8 AM until noon. If you missed out on po' boys, here's your chance to eat for a great cause!

Edited by MelGold

Has anyone been to McCormick and Schmick's recently? I've heard talk of this blurb on the Washington Business Journal website:

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washingt...ml?jst=cn_cn_lk

Until Sept. 16, McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants and M&S Grill restaurants are offering customers a $20 gift certificate when they show a donation receipt from any charitable organization aiding hurricane victims.

I have yet to find out if there is a minimum donation. Getting off topic now, but $50 to the Red Cross is probably the path I'll take, since Kimpton hotels is offering a free night's stay to anyone who makes such a contribution.

Share Our Strength has several ways to support the Katrina relief efforts, including direct donations, dining out at participating restaurants on September 27, or attending the Hurricane Relief Taste Benefit on October 17 at the National Building Museum. The list of chefs participating in the Taste event is too long to post, but it includes some big names from the local area and across the nation.

I just got an email about this one...

"On Friday, September 16th from 5:00 – 9:00pm, make your Happy Hour a little Happier by helping those in need.

J. Paul’s, Old Glory, Paolo’s Ristorante and Neyla restaurants in Georgetown will donate 50% of their bar revenue to the American Red Cross to aid in their Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts.

Join us in Georgetown, and raise your glass to help!"

Capital Restaurants

On Saturday, September 24th, my friend and I sponsoring a fundraiser at the Big Hunt on Connecticut Avenue, just off of Dupont Circle. Suggested donation is $5 and we'll have drink and food specials all night. Festivities start at 5:30 pm. The event benefits The Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. All monies collected at the door will go the cause. Hope to see you there!!

Edited by foodbunny

Oregon Pinot Noir Dinner at Corduroy

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Reception 6:30 pm Dinner 7:00 pm

R. Stuart Wine Dinner to support those affected by Hurricane Katrina

25% of the cost of the dinner will be donated to Share Our Strength Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.

Oregon Pinot Noir Dinner at Corduroy

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Reception 6:30 pm    Dinner 7:00 pm

R. Stuart Wine Dinner to support those affected by Hurricane Katrina

25% of the cost of the dinner will be donated to Share Our Strength Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.

I cannot find any specific info on this. Can you provide the details.

I cannot find any specific info on this.  Can you provide the details.

Actually in an effort to provide relief to Hurricane Katrina victims, we are involved in 2 events. Both events’ portion of the sales with be donated to Share Our Strength Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund:

September 27, Tuesday – Restaurant for Relief in conjunction with OpenTable, Share Our Strength and Windows of Hope, a list of restaurants will donate a portion of their dinner sales

September 29, Thursday – R. Stuart Oregon Pinot Noir Wine Dinner

Thursday, September 29, 2005 6:30 pm Reception 7:00 pm Dinner

25% of the cost of the dinner will be donated

Passed Hors d’Oeuvres

Sunset Beach Oysters on the Half Shell with

Champagne Mignonette

Filipino Style Spring Rolls with Dipping Sauce

Rillettes of Duck Leg

R. Stuart, Brut Rosé, NV

First Course

Vidalia Onion Soubise

Big Fire, Pinot Gris, 2004

Second Course

Peppered Rare Tuna with Kabocha Squash Baghi

Big Fire, Pinot Noir, 2003

Third Course

Roast Ballotine of Sunnyside Farms Chicken and Local Shiitake Mushrooms, Foie Gras Sauce

R. Stuart, Pinot Noir, 2003

Fourth Course

Niman Ranch Pork Belly with Savoy Cabbage

R. Stuart, Pinot Noir, Brunker Hall Vineyard, 2002

Fifth Course

Epoisses with Burgundy Truffle and Figs

Special Cellar Selection

$100.00 inclusive of gratuity, plus tax

For more information, please contact Rissa or David Batista

Thanks to everyone for your support--no matter which establishment or event you participate. :lol:

I just made reservations for the 29th dinner for Craig and me. The lovely Ferhat was manning the phones and I told him that if any other self-identified Rockwellians made reservations for this event and wanted companh, we would be happy to be seated with any of them. Just so you know.

Barbara

Share Our Strength has several ways to support the Katrina relief efforts, including direct donations, dining out at participating restaurants on September 27, or attending the Hurricane Relief Taste Benefit on October 17 at the National Building Museum.  The list of chefs participating in the Taste event is too long to post, but it includes some big names from the local area and across the nation.

I called today to get a little more information about the October 17 benefit - all of the $250 per ticket will go to local organizations in areas affected by Katrina. These organizations include:

Bay Area Food Bank, Mobile AL (serving affected counties in Alabama and Mississippi)

Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans, New Orleans LA

Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank, Baton Rouge LA

The Houston Food Bank, Houston TX

North Texas Food Bank, Dallas TX

It will be a stand-up, tasting event (as opposed to sit-down dinner) with the participating chefs being encouraged to prepare dishes that pay tribute to the affected region. (For the bean counters out there, $200 of the ticket price will be tax-deductible). The Building Museum has donated the space at no cost.

Don't forget to eat out on Sept. 27 at establishments participating in the "Restaurants for Relief" day.

For a moment, we brush aside our own needs to help others…

Thank you all to those who attended Corduroy’s effort to donate to Share Our Strength Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund Tuesday and Thursday last week. It is greatly appreciated.

Lots of local restaurants are donating a portion of sales today to Red Cross hurricane relief. 

I know that my family's restaurant-A&J is donating 50% of sales.

Cool, I think I'll get some carryout there ... right now!

#3102 - Chinese Style Fried Chicken on Rice w/ a Black-Tea bubble drink, mmmm....

Rocks.

Share Our Strength has several ways to support the Katrina relief efforts, including direct donations, dining out at participating restaurants on September 27, or attending the Hurricane Relief Taste Benefit on October 17 at the National Building Museum.  The list of chefs participating in the Taste event is too long to post, but it includes some big names from the local area and across the nation.

Any other Rockwellians attending this event on Monday?

We greatly appreciate all of the support we received for the first Po' Boy Power event held in September immediately after Hurricane Katrina. We've got another fundraiser coming up on November 1st to provide continued assistance to those in need. Details are below. We hope you'll help to spread the word, please, and stop by and get a po' boy.

“Po’ Boy Power!” Is Rolling Out The Dough -- Women Chefs and Louisiana Delegates Taking Charge, November 1, 2005 in DC

Following the success of its initial event, a second “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser has been scheduled with the support of the Washington DC chapters of Les Dames d’Escoffier and Slow Foods International. This event will be held November 1, 2005, All Saints’ Day, a religious holiday widely celebrated in New Orleans. Po’ boys will be sold for donations of $25 and up at Acadiana (a Louisiana style restaurant under the direction of Executive Chef Jeff Tunks), located at 901 New York Avenue, NW, in Washington DC. Sandwiches will be sold from 11:30 am-2:30 pm. The po’ boys will be assembled by female chefs from the DC area paired with politicians and other local personalities with ties to Louisiana. The first Louisiana dignitaries to come on board were The Honorable Lindy Boggs, Congressman Charlie Melancon, and former Congressman Robert Livingston. Donations from this event will be used to limit the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina on Louisiana farmers, harvesters, fishermen, and seafood purveyors. All funds raised will be distributed directly to affected farmers through Slow Food International’s Terra Madre Program. Can the women top the $27,000 the group of male chefs raised in September? So far, we can look forward to the talents and efforts of Laurie Weber Alleman (The Swiss Bakery), Susan Callahan (Synergy Arts), Ann Cashion (Cashion’s Eat Place and Johnny’s Half Shell), Gillian Clark (Colorado Kitchen), Patrice Dionot (L’academie de Cuisine), Ruth Gresser (Pizzeria Paradiso), Carla Hall (Alchemy Caterers), Kate Jansen (Willow Restaurant), Haidar Karoum (Asia Nora), Janis McLean (Red Dog Cafe), Bridget Meagher (Alexander’s in Charlottesville), Joan Nathan (cookbook author/writer), Nona Nielsen-Parker (Stone Mill Bakery, Cafe & Catering), and Anna Saint John (Catering by Anna Saint John).

The first “Po’ Boy Power!” fundraiser was held at Acadiana restaurant in Washington DC on Monday, September 12, 2005 and raised more than $27,000 for the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation.

“I got the power! I ate a po’ boy!”

For more information:

Simone Rathlé

simonepr@aol.com

Howdy folks! Pardon the long absence. I was eating my way across Italy. Just wanted to let everyone know that the relief effort is far from over. To that end Share Our Strength will be hosting a nationwide dine around on August 29th, the first anniversary of hurricane Katrina. Keep an eye on www.strength.org for more info as it becomes available.

I saw this on Southern Foodways. The money goes toward rebuilding New Orleans' institution, Willie Mays Scotch House.

WASHINGTON D.C. FUNDRAISING DINNER FOR SCOTCH HOUSE, SEPT. 6

The Scotch House rebuilding project is moving along nicely, thanks to the continued hard work of project leaders like our own John Currence. And now we have a fundraiser on the horizon, thanks to SFA board member Ann Cashion. We hope that you will join us in our fundraising efforts to rebuild the Scotch House.

Grand Opening of Johnny's Half Shell in Washington, D.C.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 from 6-9 p.m.

Dinner tickets: $100

Sponsorship: $2500

Helping Ms. Willie Mae Seaton: Priceless

To purchase dinner tickets for the grand opening, contact Julie Wadler at jwadler@epiphanyproductions.com

For more info on Johnny's Half Shell, visit http://www.johnnyshalfshell.net/

We hope to see you in D.C.!