Sahm Oh Jong, Springfield - Korean in Brookfield Plaza on Backlick Road - Closed

Gamasot Restaurant
6963 Hechinger Drive
Springfied, VA 22151

I love this thread, and I'm on a never-ending quest to help this Board define the Springfield foodie scene. If Gamasot is the best Korean food within the geographical confines of Springfield, then I have found a close second -- Sahm Oh Jong in the Brookfield Plaza on Backlick Road.

(Side note -- drop me anywhere near Brookfield Plaza some morning with $20 in my pocket, and I'll eat like a king all day long and have change in my pocket.)

Sahm Oh Jong is a little place off to the side of Brookfield Plaza, in the same row as House of Siam, Spring Garden and Bombay Buffet (all very good). It is almost always frequented by Koreans, for lunch and dinner, and I frequently find that I'm the only ethnic Yankee in the place. The prices at lunch are incredible -- about $6.95 for anything. I have had the Bulgogi and the Bibimbap a few times. I'll keep going back.

But that doesn't diminish the star that is Gamasot. It's just that, when I'm a few miles south of there and very hungry, I will happily detour into Sahm Oh Jong, over and over again.

Return trip today for no other reason except I wanted to....I had the bibimbap, and my pal had the bulgogi. I wish I knew what the table full of little relishes were, but they were good. I potato dish and what seemed like spicy dried strip of fish were the best of the six little dishes. His bulgogi was outstanding, a plate of Korean fajitas (sort of). Really tasty marinated beef. My bibimbap was a generous bowl of rice with veggies and meat and egg on top, which I mixed with the chili paste on the table. It was preceeded by a small bowl of hit-the-spot soup.

Some day I'll make it all the way up Backlick to Gamasot, but I probably need to go some other direction. Because if I'm on Backlick heading north, and I'm hungry for Korean food, I detour into Sahm Oh Jong. For the record, my pal and I were only two of four Yankees in there at lunch today. The other 25+ patrons were Korean.

Return trip today for no other reason except I wanted to....I had the bibimbap, and my pal had the bulgogi. I wish I knew what the table full of little relishes were, but they were good. I potato dish and what seemed like spicy dried strip of fish were the best of the six little dishes. His bulgogi was outstanding, a plate of Korean fajitas (sort of). Really tasty marinated beef. My bibimbap was a generous bowl of rice with veggies and meat and egg on top, which I mixed with the chili paste on the table. It was preceeded by a small bowl of hit-the-spot soup.

Some day I'll make it all the way up Backlick to Gamasot, but I probably need to go some other direction. Because if I'm on Backlick heading north, and I'm hungry for Korean food, I detour into Sahm Oh Jong. For the record, my pal and I were only two of four Yankees in there at lunch today. The other 25+ patrons were Korean.

Grover and I have gone there a couple of times but the lure of Gamasot keeps us driving. Sahm Oh Jong is pretty good and I do like their panchan.

---

[ETA Sahm Oh Jong has new owners and a new name, and the new thread is here]

Edited by DonRocks