One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish ... Bluefish!

DPop

After experiencing the glory that is the grilled bluefish at Hook and Tackle Box, I've been looking for some to do at home at some local markets. I checked Eastern and Whole Foods, but have had no luck. Has anyone been able to find it at local area markets?

After experiencing the glory that is the grilled bluefish at Hook and Tackle Box, I've been looking for some to do at home at some local markets. I checked Eastern and Whole Foods, but have had no luck. Has anyone been able to find it at local area markets?

Black Salt Market had it two weeks ago. All their stuff is great.

Which WF did you check? I am almost positive that I have seen it at the Fair Lakes store in the past. Of course they have a bigger selection than the smaller stores. The Clarendon location has a decent selection of fish as well so they might have it.

Which WF did you check? I am almost positive that I have seen it at the Fair Lakes store in the past. Of course they have a bigger selection than the smaller stores. The Clarendon location has a decent selection of fish as well so they might have it.

I looked at the P Street location and they did not have any when I was there, but they may have it now.

Black Salt might be a better bet, either way. Thanks for the info.

Anyone grilled this yet? If so, what (if any) prep have you done on the fish?

I've purchased bluefish at Glover Park/Georgetown, P St & Tenley Town; just last week a woman who sells at the farmers market on Saturdays was handing out samples of bluefish at the Silver Spring location of WFM.

Favorite prep is from Marcella Hazan, a Genovese recipe so good that Mark Bittman includes it (for any thick filet fish) in his *How to Cook Everything*. For temperatures and timing, google and most likely the recipe is online. Basics:

Mince garlic and lots and lots and LOTS of parsley. Mix together w EVOO and a bit of salt. Thinly slice waxy potatoes and toss with half of the parsley paste. Bake hot till just about done (soft when pierced w fork).

Tilt pan and wait for olive oil to collect on one side of your casserole, then cover potatoes w the bright green fat. Top with your bluefish and top that with the rest of the parsley gunk. Bake till fish flakes.

One of my favorite dishes in the world. Bluefish's intense flavor holds up to all the garlic and parsley. Crusty bread. Chilled glass of Riesling or.... Follow w tomato salad.

Buy a fishin' rod. Go to Assateague in early October. Cut up squid. Bait hook. Cast. Retrieve fish(es). Eat that night.

Jonathan likes to catch/release bluefish, because they are fun to catch but he doesn't like to eat bluefish. A couple of times, many years ago, I convinced him not to throw everything back, and grilled some fresh. I thought it was delicious, just drizzled with olive oil, salt and lemon. But it does have a strong taste, which my supertaster husband finds overwhelming. He doesn't like trout either, but has done a lot of catch and release flyfishing for trout.

The WF in SS has it virtually every time I've checked. It's one of the great undiscovered deals there. Only $8/lb, rich in flavour and omega-3 fatty acids. Lately I've been buying the fish whole at Han Ah Reum in Wheaton. The fish are smaller - perfect portion size for one - and I like being able to easily grill them.

Buy a fishin' rod. Go to Assateague in early October. Cut up squid. Bait hook. Cast. Retrieve fish(es). Eat that night.
I remember catching these with my father off Long Beach Island on the Jersey shore.

What a great time.

A shame I didn't like the taste of fish at that age.