Founding Farmers, Downtown, Potomac, and Tysons Corner

I understand Sietsema has to eat the whole menu, but you don't have to.  I would not even consider ordering 3/4 of what is on the menu (e.g., ham, apples & peas macaroni and cheese), and that is even without tasting any of them.  If you stick with whatever fish they are offering that day choosing among 5 standard preparations listed on the menu, you can have a perfectly fine meal here.  Not outstanding.  Not memorable.  But more than acceptable.  There are other choices that work, but really, why would you order a steak or pasta at a place like this?  A place that tries to do a bit of everything inevitable will have a fair number of misfires.  That doesn't make it a bad restaurant.  It just places it in the middle of the road.  There are plenty of other restaurants I frequent where I have to pick carefully through the menu.  You just have to play the percentages.  You can't eat at Kinship every night.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Do people really think this?

It is a bit of hyperbole that I liked it because of the cadence it lent to the sentence.  That said, he certainly has an obligation to sample a far greater cross-section of the menu than I ever would consider in most places.  It never would have occurred to me to order some of the items he mentioned in his review.  Surf & Turf (called "Land and Sea" at FF) is almost never very good anywhere, and unless I am writing a review, I am not going to order it.

I took my assistant and a paralegal to FF for lunch today.  The chicken fried steak was dreadful - flavorless hunk of meat topped with equally bland gravy.  The green beans and mac 'n cheese were okay.  I also tried some fried green tomatoes - they were $8 for 4 slices (they're pretty good - but what do I know....when I grew up in the south, we didn't eat fried green tomatoes, which became popular only after the movie came out).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcs said:

How Founding Farmers Became The Most Booked Restaurant In The U.S. For 5 Years Running, by Brian Rashid, Mar 12, 2017 @ 09:00 AM on forbes.com.

That is an impressive article.  From the business side.  But--from the business side its extremely impressive....at the high end of impressiveness.

I've only dined at FF one time.  Didn't knock me out.  Haven't been back.  Meanwhile it crushes off of OT.  That is amazing.  I seem to recall that when OT (and yelp for that matter) started they targeted the DC region as one of their major intended markets.  DC (region wise) might have the highest concentration of restaurants that use OT in the nation; if not the highest one of the highest. The more its available the more that users will apply it.   

I suppose that the story is partially PR--a journalist gets his/her facts from the owners and the owners paint the best picture they can...but if they do the things the article suggests...they are way ahead of the game.  I'm aware of some other restaurants doing some of those things and they similarly do well.

In today's environment....so many restaurants...so many good restaurants...and many are hurting in the midst of endless competition and changing tastes.  Others of course are doing phenomenally.  More power to the one's doing well.  If they don't respond to your tastes or mine they are obviously responding to an enormous multitude and doing it well. 

And then ... this story.  

I don't know anything beyond the article...but if they are doing so great they can pay their people.

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

DC (region wise) might have the highest concentration of restaurants that use OT in the nation; if not the highest one of the highest. The more its available the more that users will apply it.   

There was a tipping point of saturation that DC hit a while ago. If a certain percentage of restaurants (that take reservations) use OT, then it becomes a business disadvantage to NOT use the service. You have too many people that will use the service to see what's available. If 3 of the 5 places you are considering use OT, and two don't, you're not going to call the 2 to see what they have; you're going to change your selection window to the 3.

I had a conversation some time ago with a restaurant owner that had been using OT, left to try other services, and came back. There was a noticeable drop in reservations after leaving the service, and a tick back up when they returned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DanielK said:

There was a tipping point of saturation that DC hit a while ago. If a certain percentage of restaurants (that take reservations) use OT, then it becomes a business disadvantage to NOT use the service. You have too many people that will use the service to see what's available. If 3 of the 5 places you are considering use OT, and two don't, you're not going to call the 2 to see what they have; you're going to change your selection window to the 3.

I had a conversation some time ago with a restaurant owner that had been using OT, left to try other services, and came back. There was a noticeable drop in reservations after leaving the service, and a tick back up when they returned.

I absolutely agree on that.  On the user side, especially if meeting others and trying to choose a restaurant OT is a terrific app.  Choose a date and a neighborhood or several and one can easily and quickly discern where and what is available and at what time.  Best app out there for that and similar situations. As you describe above when user saturation hits a point when its relied upon so much...not being a part of OT is a big disadvantage   (but then there is Great American Restaurants).  They are the exception to that rule, still not using OT and evidently doing quite well without it.

Your second paragraph is quite telling.  OTOH I've recently seen at least one restaurant using OT and a second reservation system.  OT more expensive the other less expensive.  An interesting decision.  The other reservation system more prominently visible, OT less visible. 

3 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

After Delays, Founding Farmers at Reston Station to Open Next Month - supposedly April 11.

It's very close --- I take the Silver Line from Wiehle and have been watching the progress. The covers are off the windows and they are holding interviews for staff.

I'm more interested in the opening of Sweet Leaf, which the signage says was supposed to happen during "Winter 2017."

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Did you take the silver line today?  Is there substantial delay?  I'm supposed to have dinner at the Wharf tonight :rolleyes:

I hunkered down at home today! Between flying trees and Metro delays, thought better of venturing out! Hopefully your evening will go well. :)

3 hours ago, jandres374 said:

The Philadelphia food critic is not a fan.

"Founding Farmers May Have a Good Story and a Good Mission. But the Food ..." by Craig LaBan on philly.com

We still haven't eaten at a FF. I'm just mind-boggled at how this place can apparently be so bad. Having said that, they were handing out free donuts in Reston pre-opening. It was Passover so I didn't partake, but the donuts looked good and the donut prices -- $1, 2, or 3 -- are certainly fair. The rest of the grab n go breakfast prices seem reasonable too. Of course, if the wares suck......

I agree with Erichandblueboy.  I went a couple of years ago to the Tysons one for lunch.  Food was mediocre but pricey.  Soda came only in a can.  Ironically, place was mobbed on a weekday.  Don't know why.  Business lunches?  I'm never going back.

I ate at the Foggy Bottom location two or three times, but it's been several years since I've been. The only distinct memory I have is being excited about the "bacon lollis," which I'm pretty sure I rather enjoyed.

However, a friend recently had some friends in town, a family of four with two preteen kids, and they were looking for restaurant recommendations. Because my friend is clueless about the DC restaurant scene, he asked me for advice. The only information I got was the demographic make-up of the family, the fact they were staying near the White House, and the fact they like "meat and potatoes." I felt a little bit bad recommending Founding Farmers to them, but I did. They loved it. Hopefully they won't Google the Sietsema review. :-)

(I also recommended the Old Ebbitt Grill, but they'd already been there.)

The "cauliflower steak with risotto and broccoli rabe" I had last night was the worst dish I have ever had in a restaurant. Half a barely blanched head of cauliflower, dusted with smoked papika and thrown under a salamander. Farro risotto that tasted of nothing. Bitter, greasy broccoli rabe piled up on a plate with I swear to god random other green veg that seemed to be eust left in saute pan.For a restaurant "founded" by "farmers", they dont seem to give a fuck about vegetables.

The beef tartare  was a debacle. Served more like a gigantic bruschetta with a hint of meat, smattering of capers, and lots of "deviled egg". Not good.

Cocktails were very good! I had both versions of the pisco sour (preferred the one with star anise) and the "millionaire" with absinthe and gin. The bread pudding was very good as well.

Glad to see the farmer's are raking in the cash. Go for a cocktail. Leave to eat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, B.A.R. said:

The "cauliflower steak with risotto and broccoli rabe" I had last night was the worst dish I have ever had in a restaurant.

The sad truth is that most people can't tell, and don't care - they're not living; they're existing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

The sad truth is that most people can't tell, and don't care - they're not living; they're existing.

Someone needs to figure out the formula. This operation has turned a piece of property in Tysons that couldn't support Inox-type quality into a gold mine. Wherever they open and dump mediocrity and indifference on your plate, they make bank. What's the key to their playbook?

I am actually really glad people have recently weighed in on this....we have eaten at the one in DC (the original location here?) twice - it was good, but not awesome by any standard; cocktails were great, and perhaps made the average meal better 😄.  The Tyson's location, I waited until they worked out the new location kinks and went for lunch.  Place was packed, food was barely ok, undercooked, service was average at best.  Went back once more and confirmed it was nothing to write home about.

Reston location has been open for a few months.  Many friends have been and swear it is great.  I have not been and it will take a fair amount of prodding for me to cave.  Concept is great, but food is overpriced and under-whelming.  Location sux, and I really do not want to eat overlooking the Metro tracks and Toll Rd.

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

The American public. I'm so tired of mass mediocrity, and nothing I've ever done has changed a thing.

Not so sure that you haven't changed a thing. I know this community has many other mediocrity haters, myself included, and you are our spiritual leader.

46 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Not so sure that you haven't changed a thing. I know this community has many other mediocrity haters, myself included, and you are our spiritual leader.

The thing is, it isn't about money - people can be discerning without spending a penny: In literature, or art, or anything, really - all people need to do is turn on their brains and use them; so many people just go with "what's hot," or "what's easy." I know people on government assistance who, when it comes to certain things, have a palate better than mine - all because they've cared enough to work at it.

The baker one in Georgetown Inter harbor isn't that bad and we've enjoyed brunch there a couple of times with other families. Tried the Tysons location once with a friend on a weeknight and surprisingly it was fairly packed. 

We haven't made any attempt to try out the Wiehle Avenue location even though outside of South Lakes shopping center is the closest restaurant to us. It just seems like a place we'll go to with out of town visitors who need very basic cuisine and don't want to eat in a fast casual style restaurant.

Had a little extra time for lunch today and decided to have RW Lunch at FF Reston location.  Parking was easy and validated, valet is available for $3.

Menu for RW was pretty extensive and we opted for Deviled eggs, their Guac, pimento spread and salsa combo to start.  Everything was good, and service prompt.

Their French Dip was excellent as was the burger - rounded out by scoop of ice cream and donut of your choice.   Place has decent natural light with booths lining row of windows facing courtyard area.  Place is not huge, bar was consistently busy and overall a pretty good lunch for $50.  Having found FF is hit-or-miss (the Tysons location was underwhelming on several visits), we were pleasantly surprised with this location.  

Had lunch at Founding Farmers in Tysons (1800 Tysons Blvd) last week with a friend from Kelly's Bootcamp. We both got simple, protein-heavy dishes -- I got a poke bowl and he got shrimp Louie. The server heard us talking about needing lots of protein so he asked if we wanted extra protein and we both went for it (it's about $6 extra).

My poke bowl was very good and companion loved his shrimp louie. In fact, I plan to go back to try the crab louie (with the extra protein).

It's not what you'd call a cheap lunch -- with the add-on our meals were each about $26 but what the heck, I don't need to eat leftovers every single day.

Not sure how far I'd venture into the massive menu but was more than pleased with the poke bowl (seems to be a popular choice as I noticed several others coming out too)

• Like 2