Notti Bianche, near The Kennedy Center, in the Former Nectar Space - Closed

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any further comments on the new menu? We're heading there for our 1-Year (Before the Wedding) Anniversary on Friday and my mouth has been watering since we put in the reservation :P

Ok, my request just got...weirder...I'm having some sort of jaw problem that means that I can't close my jaw all the way. This would be funny, but it means no serious chewing! Soft, smallish things I think should be fine, as would be things that don't need to be chewed thoroughly...just nothing you have to be able to really get a grip on! For example, my guess would be gnocchi, yes; spaghetti, no. :lol: Any recommendations?

We had a wonderful night at N.B. :P Danny (echoed by the waiter) suggested some lovely courses (three-cheese risotto and butternut squash soup, followed by a trio of gelati) that didn't require chewing, and we vowed to return when my jaw was back to normal!

The risotto was PERFECT -- creamy, but not overly thick or heavy, with a great mix of flavors and perfect texture. The soup was also lovely -- I think my dining companion got exactly one partial spoonful to taste :lol: The gelati surprised me with how much I enjoyed them -- I'm not usually partial to pistachio, but it was my favorite at this meal!

The service was lovely -- very friendly but also professional. We saw people from all walks of life, from obvious tourists to a birthday celebration, to peoplel like us celebrating a special night out.

The one fly in the ointment was the confusing, expensive, and slooooooow valet parking experience, but that was a very small part to a lovely evening.

We had a wonderful night at N.B.

What she said. I look forward to trying some of the other menu selections soon, it was hard for me to decide where to begin (ended up going with the proscuitto/risotto/hanger steak/gelati and a beautiful sparkling wine).
My entree was the hangar steak, cooked to medium and served with black olive gnocchi.  I LOVED this dish, but was so full from the starters and wine that I brought home the last two slices of beef home for later.
Ditto here too, 'cept mine was medium rare and I had some gnocchi for the next day as well.

Grazie a Notti Bianche!

Edited by tripewriter

I am finally going tomorrow!  I can't wait!  Any new recommendations?

So how was it?

My faster half and I went Saturday, too. He had goat cheese fritatta, mixed green salad, and garganelli; I had butternut squash soup, fennel salad, and mushroom risotto. The soup was particularly delicious - I really liked the contrast of pumpkin seed and amaretto cookie in it. Also, the free-form rustic apple pie concoction (I forget what they called it) was wonderful. And our waitress made some excellent suggestions for wine pairings (which Mr. Boylen later approved). Props for having so many wines available by the glass and half glass.

So how was it? 

My faster half and I went Saturday, too.  He had goat cheese fritatta, mixed green salad, and garganelli; I had butternut squash soup, fennel salad, and mushroom risotto.  The soup was particularly delicious - I really liked the contrast of pumpkin seed and amaretto cookie in it.  Also, the free-form rustic apple pie concoction (I forget what they called it) was wonderful.  And our waitress made some excellent suggestions for wine pairings (which Mr. Boylen later approved).  Props for having so many wines available by the glass and half glass.

Had a wonderful dinner at Notti Bianche this past friday night. I brought my sister, who has a severe nut allergy. Danny and his staff could not have done a better job explaining the menu and working with her allergy (the even have menus for those who have nut allergies).

Everyone really enjoyed their meal, but specifically the short rib pasta with sage and glazed chickpeas, mushroom risotto, and the hanger steak stood out. The service was very attentive and well-paced.

Many thanks to Danny and co. for an excellent meal, and fantastic service!

Edited by Keithstg

So how was it? 

My faster half and I went Saturday, too.  He had goat cheese fritatta, mixed green salad, and garganelli; I had butternut squash soup, fennel salad, and mushroom risotto.  The soup was particularly delicious - I really liked the contrast of pumpkin seed and amaretto cookie in it.  Also, the free-form rustic apple pie concoction (I forget what they called it) was wonderful.  And our waitress made some excellent suggestions for wine pairings (which Mr. Boylen later approved).  Props for having so many wines available by the glass and half glass.

Lackadaisi and I went for a nice, quiet dinner with friends on Saturday. I started with the butternut squash soup, which was excellent - the pumpkin seeds were a great "nutty" touch to the overall soup's sweetness and the cookies added a nice crunch. My wife had the bruschetta - all three excellent. We followed with a pasta course - me with the mezzaluna and she with the tagliatele special (head-on shrimp in a vodka cream sauce). The mezzaluna were amazing and perhaps my favorite overall dish of the evening. For the entree I had the hangar steak - cooked to perfection - with a very nice pesto. The accompanying gnocchi were a bit dry, but otherwise a great dish. My wife had the diver scallops - another impressive dish with an interesting combination of the chestnut puree and the scallop. Our friends ordered many of the same items and were equally happy (the big hits being the soup and the scallops). (The risotto looked great too!)

We were also extremely happy with the service. There was an error with my mezzaluna order (I was brought a salad first) and it was fixed quickly and efficiently (and certainly worth the wait).

A lovely bottle of "The Grappler" accompanied our meal - a reasonable, but elegant red. Overall, a great evening out!

CrescentFresh took me here for my birthday dinner last Wednesday. What an excellent choice! We were presented with personalized menus, welcoming us both and wishing me a happy birthday--a very classy touch! I started with the smooth-as-silk butternut squash soup (just what I needed on such a cold, rainy night!). Next came the hearts of romaine--a generous amount of whole leaves covered with just the right amount of a flavorful garlic-anchovy dressing, with a Sicilian olive puree wrapped in white anchovies served on the side. Delicious! For my main course, the garganelli with brussel sprout petals and mild Italian sausage in roasted garlic cream. Excellent combination of flavors and the ultimate comfort food!

The service was excellent; our server pleasant, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. She gave us a recommendation on wine, describing the flavors and how they would evolve as the wine sat. She was right on the money, and could not have given us a better description. The wine was delicious, and the perfect accompaniment to our meal.

For dessert, I opted for the house-made gelato trio--a perfectly-sized serving of pistachio, nutella and white chocolate, each served in a little cookie cup. The perfect ending to a wonderful meal and a very special evening, made even more so when I was presented with a birthday card signed by the entire staff. Thanks Danny!

My only disappointment is that we won't be able to return for dinner on Saturday with my parents, who are in town for the holiday, as planned since the floors are being refinished and the job won't be completed in time. :lol: Oh well, it will give them something to look forward to on their next visit! :P

My only disappointment is that we won't be able to return for dinner on Saturday with my parents, who are in town for the holiday, as planned since the floors are being refinished and the job won't be completed in time...

the resurfacing project which was supposed to be completed today - allowing us to open on saturday - is taking considerably longer than our contractor told us :lol: . we are hoping to open again on wednesday, 30 november.

the resurfacing project which was supposed to be completed today - allowing us to open on saturday - is taking considerably longer than our contractor told us :lol: .  we are hoping to open again on wednesday, 30 november.

The good news, of course, is that Notti Bianche received a large wine shipment today, so Danny has something to do while watching the paint dry for the next five days.

The good news, of course, is that Notti Bianche received a large wine shipment today, so Danny has something to do while watching the paint dry for the next five days.

Well, I'm free and I'm not going back to work until Tuesday myself. So, should I just sit by the phone and wait for Danny to call with an invite? :lol: Is that what you're doing Rocks?

The service was excellent; our server pleasant, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. She gave us a recommendation on wine, describing the flavors and how they would evolve as the wine sat. She was right on the money, and could not have given us a better description. The wine was delicious, and the perfect accompaniment to our meal.

I wish to second these sentiments. The service at Notti Bianche was superb and it was particularly exemplified in the manner in which our server steered us to the perfect bottle of wine for our meal. When you go, consider putting the choice in their hands. They know all the right questions to determine what you're in the mood for and what complements your meal.

Finally made it to Notte Bianchi for dinner last night and had a wonderful dinner.

To start we shared a salumi plate and the charred baby octopus salad. The octopus was tender and I particularly enjoyed the smokiness from the charring. The accompanying cannellini salad was good, but the beans were a bit undercooked for my liking (minor quibble as my SO liked the texture).

After that we each had a 1/2 portion of pasta, the garganelli and the braised short rib mezzaluna. The garganelli are served with sweet Italian sausage in a roasted garlic cream sauce. The creamy garlic sauce, not overpowering, was devine. I could have devoured a huge plate, I loved this dish! The bite I had of the short rib ravioli was very good as well and I am always happy to see well done pasta dishes.

For my main course I chose the hanger steak and she the atlantic cod. The steak is served what initially appear as little sausages, but are actually black olive ricotta gnocchi. The firm gnocchi, rich with black olive flavor, are sauted and a good match with the steak. The cod was melt in your mouth good and I enjoyed the bite of the crispy baccala cannelloni that I tried.

Full from dinner, and it being a nice night for the end of December, we decided to take a walk after dinner and headed to Georgetown. On the way we decided to stop in at Citronelle for dessert and a drink.

I will be returning to NB soon! It was a fine way to spend our last night dining out in 2005.

So, just two days after pronouncing Sonoma's pasta tastier than Notti Bianche's, Danny Boylen posts a new menu for NB. So, the Mrs. and I blew off a hockey game to check them out. Walking in with no reservation was a snap as we timed it for when the dining room cleared out for the Kennedy Center showtime.

We split 3 half portions of pasta (well, 2 and a risotto). All 3 were fantastic. Definitely tough to pick a favorite.

The chestnut pappardelle with pork ragu was rich and meaty but not heavy. The only problem was that I thought the pasta itself was rolled out too thin. It gets completely lost in the sauce. As much as I liked that sauce, I wanted to taste and feel the pasta, too. I mentioned this to the server and hopefully the chef will try something to make the pasta an equal partner in the dish. I look forward to trying it again.

If you have a list of places to bring your vegetarian friends, make sure Notti Bianche is on it. I'm told the ricotta gnocchi with trumpet mushrooms, mascarpone cream & herbed bread crumbs is completely vegetarian. It's great. The potato-less gnocchi was a perfect texture and weight. Not too light and not too heavy/doughy. Soft inside and crisped up nicely on the outside. The cream sauce was not overly rich and the mushrooms had enough bite to them to offer a different point of texture.

Lastly we had the risotto of the day. Squid ink with saffron calamari. This was a great treat for the senses. The bright orange and white rings of fish (all body, no tentacles) looked like they were under a spotlight sitting on top of the black rice. A rich smell of the sea surrounded the plate and each forkful. Both the squid and the rice were cooked to a perfect tenderness. The starchiness of the rice was a great way to carry the flavor of the squid ink. Just the right amount of bite and chewiness to the squid that was really enhanced by the color and flavor of the saffron.

Our server, Dominique, is a treasure. Clearly very excited about the dishes and the ingredients, her enthusiasm was catching and it made our meal that much better. We asked her to select a bottle of wine for us and she picked 2005 unwooded Stellenbosch chardonnay. It was perfect.

I really thought I was going to miss the garganelli and the shortrib mezzaluna, but I think we'll do just fine with the new pasta selections. I think that between NB and Sonoma we've got two great choices for inexpensive and well prepared pasta in two completely different neighborhoods and settings. At Sonoma, you'll get great pasta (and other dishes, too!) but it's a busy, urban dining-style restaurant. That's contrasted to what you get at Notti Bianche which is definitely fine dining. The key difference is service. It's excellent at both places, but at Notti Bianche there's a feeling of pride expressed by the staff that's refreshing and absent from Sonoma.

Anyway, congratulations to the folks at Notti Bianche. So far we love the new menu and we're excited to try it again soon.

Craig and I went to Notti Bianche for the first time last night. The whole menu is available (with a couple of upcharges) and deciding what to get proves to be rather problematical. I mean that in a GOOD way. To complicate matters, you can order a half-portion of the pastas as one of your courses.

Craig ordered the sweetbreads--the first time he has ventured them since those awful ones at Cashion's a few years ago. I got a little taste and thought they were just great--crispy on the outside and creamy in the center. I didn't get a taste of the accompanying pine nuts and squash B) . For a main, he got the rack of pork. I also got a taste of that and it was delicious. Meat lovers take note of that one.

I ordered the mixed green salad with grilled pears. (We've got two more meals out this week and I'm trying to be sensible here.) It was perfectly fine; the dressed mesclan mix with the pear slices and accompanying slice of baguet with a dollop of brie (?) all worked together just beautifully. I got the hangar steak for a main. Having learned the hard way that restaurants at this level tend to undercook steaks, I asked for "Medium" and got what I consider Medium Rare. Which worked out perfectly. Call me a Philistine, if you must, but I really don't care for meat that is too rare. Hey! I used to order it well-done back in the day :o ! Give me a break here! The "salsa verde" sauce with it complimented the very beefy taste of the meat to a tee.

For dessert, Craig ordered the trio of gelati, which were small scoops nested in molded tuilles. I got a little, and I do mean little, taste of the butternut squash gelato. I was reminiscent of pumpkin ice cream. Lovely. I ordered the zuccotto cake. Now, I have made one of those before. This version contains all the usual elements except that it is served in a chocolate shell. OMG, this was good.

During RW Notti Bianche is offering a wine pairing for $10. No kidding. TEN DOLLARS!!! What a deal this turned out to be. The menu lists the wines with each dish. Really, this could not be any simpler. They were all good, particularly the prosecco with the sweetbreads and whatever the wine was with the pork. The real kicker is the dessert choice. You can have a port or the "scintillare limon." This is prosecco with limoncello and it is truly delightful.

Service was very smooth. It took a little while to get our food, but we were in no way being rushed. In fact, we were there for almost 2 1/2 hours (take THAT Michael Landrum :) ).

I complimented Danny on the way out and suggested that EVERY restaurant ought to offer wine pairings like this. He thought that would be too difficult. Ah, well. A girl can dream, can't she?

This cozy, romantic restaurant is a short walk from the Foggy Bottom Metro station, for those who rely on public transportation. We actually took the bus and had a bit longer walk, but nothing we couldn't handle, particularly with the weather being as warm as it was yesterday.

So you can order a half-portion of pasta as your appetizer instead of a salad or soup?  Might make the meal quite heavy, but would prevent me from having to choose between pasta or meat for my entree!

I have done this for dinner and had room for an app and dessert! Take any opportunity to try the pasta and you will be very happy.

Some friends and I were there last night and given how long we lingered, I'm sure we overlapped with you, Barbara. :) I'll post a longer recap later, but wanted to recommend (highly!) the half-portions of pasta.

We didn't order pasta as a part of the three course RW meal, but instead got a half portion of the chesnut noodles with pork ragu ($8) to share as an intermezzo of sorts. This so-called half portion is rather large. Four of us sampled a few bites each and unanimously loved it.

As I mentioned upthread, two friends (plus one friend's friend) and I dined at Notti Bianche as a part of the RW promotion last night. I'd had a very favorable experience at NB back in October and was eager to return. None of my three friends had been to the restaurant before.

Personally I really enjoyed the menu and the experience for the most part, but in retrospect NB might not have been the best venue for two of the four of us. I used to be a pickier eater so I can understand somewhat, but really I don't feel all that patient with them. *sigh*

The first sign of trouble? The one guest I had not met previously gave the host a hard time about our table not being ready. See, I booked our table for four at 7 pm via Open Table. We received our confirmation e-mail saying 7 pm, but when I went to OT to book another res, I noticed the NB res had been moved or shifted or what have you to 7:30. Really, it was no issue for anyone - none of us had anywhere to be so hanging at the bar was fine, but hunger overtook one member of the group. She got grumpy. :)

Making matters even more uncomfortable for me was the fact that the host in question was the lovely and pleasant Mollie (who no longer works at NB full-time, but is helping out for RW). Mollie, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for Miss Snippy.

Perusing the menu, Miss Snippy made "icky - ew!" faces when she got to the sweetbreads. Now, I haven't yet braved the sweetbreads, but I understand that many people find them delectible. Oy... The three of us had all appetizers beyond the sweetbreads. I swear to you, I almost ordered them to make a point... I had the goat cheese frittata with genoa salami, torn basil & roasted cherry tomato marmalade. Awesome! Where did Chef Chittum find these delicious juicy red tomatoes in January??

The bruschetta trio came with an enormous shrimp, legs, eyes and all other parts still attached. There were some looks askance, but ultimately everything tasted fine...except Miss Snippy scraped off the fig compote. Really. Today she even sent an e-mail to the other three of us saying how she liked everything but the figs. Whatever. I tasted the butternut squash soup and it was wonderful. Not as good as Corduroy's kabocha squash soup, but really good.

Then came the aforementioned chesnut noodles. Delicious. Still, I can't help but wonder if Notti Bianche is shooting themselves in the foot, taking away the wonderful garganelli ("our #1 dish," Amber, our server, noted). I realize menus need freshening and NB's is small, but...

The four bores that we were, we all had the hangar steak ($2 upcharge is listed online, but I don't recall it being on the paper menu). I contemplated the pork (a reasonable $5 upcharge), but was seduced by the steak's glazed chick peas and side of shortrib angaloti. The steak's "salsa" struck me as being a kissing cousin to a proper chimichurri in a very good way. All of our steaks came out just south of medium in spite of two asking for medium well, but THANK GOD, no one complained; they just chowed down and were happy.

The chickpeas turned another gal picky. I don't know if it was because they were firm, unlike your run-of-the-mill mushy garbanzo, or what. She just wouldn't eat 'em and I didn't want to embarass her by reaching my fork over to steal them. I thought they were great. But in the end, I thought the steak + shortrib pasta combo didn't work. For me to say that, carnivore that I am, it's saying something. I just feel like some other pasta would work better...like the creamy garganelli! :o

I was less than thrilled by the dessert offerings on paper. Complainer #1 was annoyed because of the pervasiveness of nuts, but she was assuaged by a trio of nutless caramel gelato. Note to the nut allergic: the other flavors (butternut squash, tiramisu and chocolate amaretti) all have some form of nut product present. My own dessert was the terrific pannetone, but I also had plenty of my friend's pear (fantastic, sweet, wonderful). I was less swayed by the zuccotto, but my by now too-full easy going eater friend had it wrapped to go; she was a fan.

One friend had the wine pairings and was thrilled by them. Two of us ordered by the glass and half glass. The poor fourth is running a marathon this weekend and thus not drinking.

A closing note for this rambling, largely disorganized post: Our pal starfish continues to be a delightful host.

From time to time, I also find that I am allergic to nuts.  A lot of it depends on the setting.

Um, what? You referring to your dining companions?

The charred octopus is a pretty good app, but I want to try the sweetbreads on my next visit.

In restrospect, the prices at Notti Bianche are very similar to those at Corduroy. The big secret here: One can easily compose a meal at either place where you spend $30 or LESS, minus dessert (not including drinks, tax and tip, of course). At least in these two places, RW amounts to whatever you want plus a free dessert. However, the cooking in both places is so . . . what? Careful? Inventive? Precise? How 'bout INVITING? DELICIOUS?

One of these days, I'm actually going to get up the nerve to order nothing but appetizers (and, possibly, pasta at Notti Bianche) at several of my favorites and get away CHEAP. (Not McDonald's cheap, of course, but get three courses of very good food for what Citronelle charges for the lobster roll at the bar.) I thought about this at a meal at Firefly. What I REALLY wanted to eat was the soup, the mussels--as a main--and a salad for dessert. You think Wabeck would forgive me if I did that? Not because I'm cheap, but because that's what I think would make an ideal meal.

I believe that if more people understood this, the lines at the Cheesecake Factory wouldn't be so long. Or, maybe not.

I'm truly interested in what you all think about this.

In restrospect, the prices at Notti Bianche are very similar to those at Corduroy.  The big secret here:  One can easily compose a meal at either place where you spend $30 or LESS, minus dessert (not including drinks, tax and tip, of course).  At least in these two places, RW amounts to whatever you want plus a free dessert.  However, the cooking in both places is so . . . what?  Careful? Inventive?  Precise?  How 'bout INVITING?  DELICIOUS?

One of these days, I'm actually going to get up the nerve to order nothing but appetizers (and, possibly, pasta at Notti Bianche) at several of my favorites and get away CHEAP.  (Not McDonald's cheap, of course, but get three courses of very good food for what Citronelle charges for the lobster roll at the bar.) I thought about this at a meal at Firefly.  What I REALLY wanted to eat was the soup, the mussels--as a main--and a salad for dessert.  You think Wabeck would forgive me if I did that? Not because I'm cheap, but because that's what I think would make an ideal meal.

I believe that if more people understood this, the lines at the Cheesecake Factory wouldn't be so long.  Or, maybe not.

I'm truly interested in what you all think about this.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all. I have done this at several places, but usually when sitting at the bar. Not sure how restaurants feel about giving up a table for this, but if another diner orders a 'regular' meal it should not be a problem. I can see both sides so I look forward to reading the opinions of those in the industry.

BTW, those lobster burgers are worth every $0.01. :)

Fabulous experience at NB this evening.

We had intended to start at the bar, but traffic and backups at the valet stand meant that we got there just on time for our reservation, so we just went right to our table. I've been to this place before, but never in it's current incarnation as NB. I went to Nectar once, and Zuki Moon several times. The biggest change is that the tables aren't as crammed together as they once were. It's a tiny dining room, so you can't avoid having tables near each other and a certain noise level. I just remember having to move tables in order to sit down when it was Zuki Moon, and either through good design or setting up less tables, that's no longer a problem. And they lost those ridculously uncomfortable chairs from ZM, hooray!

On to the food! As previously mentioned here, the entire menu is available for RW, with just a few items with $2-$5 upcharges.

I started with the Crispy Veal Sweetbreads (squash capponata, toasted pinenuts & aged balsamic, $2 surcharge), which I shared with my wife who had a half order of the Ricotta Gnocchi (trumpet mushrooms, mascarpone cream & herbed bread crumbs). The sweetbreads had just the right balance in texture between the crispness of the exterior, and the soft inside. They were rich, but not overwhelmingly so. The wine pairing with the sweetbreads was a prosecco - a nice start, as I was planning on a glass of bubbly had we made it to the bar before dinner. The gnocchi were also great - I hesitate to order gnocchi, because it's so hard to get the texture right without being gummy. These were perfect, and the mushroom accompaniment was inspired. The other couple at our table also had the gnocchi, as well as the goat cheese frittata. I can't comment on the frittata because it got inhaled before I could ask for a bite.

For my entree, I chose the Hanger Steak (shortrib angaloti, glazed chickpeas & salsa verde). It was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and nicely charred on the outside. This also ensured that I wasn't sharing with Ms. DanielK, as char on meat drives her batty. The salsa verde, as JLK mentioned, was very reminiscent of a chimichurri, but was a great foil for the beefy steak. I thought the glazed chickpeas were a touch undercooked, and while the angaloti were very good, the richness competed with, rather than complemented, the steak. But I would still order it again! The wine pairing was a 2003 20 Rows Grappler, which I loved. Ms. DanielK ordered the Diver Scallops (porcini crust, chestnut puree & braised local cabbage), of which there was not a drop left on the plate when she was finished. Four large scallops, perfectly seared. I managed to steal a bite, and it was definitely a treat. I thought the sides complemented the sweetness of the scallops just right - my wife said she could have eaten an entire bowl full of the chestnut puree. Our dining companions chose the Chestnut Pappardelle (home made wide pasta ribbons, braised pork ragu & roasted garlic) and the Stuffed Rack of Pork (white bean puree, braised kale & prosciutto di parma). I had a taste of the pappardelle, and it definitely rivaled the gnocchi for supremacy in the pasta category. My friend who ordered the pork comes from latin american heritage, and while he commented that "well, it's different than the way I'm used to eating pork", he also didn't leave a molecule on the plate, so I guess it couldn't have been all that bad.

For dessert, I had the Zuccotto (chocolate almond cake, whipped cream & amarena cherries). Very well done - kind of like a refined Black Forest Cake. Lovely cherries. The only minor issue arose here, when the coffee came ice cold, but it was quickly reconciled with an apology and a freshly ground cup. My wife had the Trio of House Made Gelato

(butternut squash, chocolate armeretti & tiramisu), which she liked, but didn't love. The other couple had the Zuccotto, as well as the Port Wine Poached Pear

(polenta cake, honeyed mascarpone & hazelnuts), which got eaten down to the pear stem, so I guess it was ok.

Rather than having the drink pairing with the dessert, we elected to have coffee with the dessert, and then have the drink afterwards. Earlier in the evening, one of my dining companions, when speaking about a recent meal at Morton's, remarked that "Morton's is like Denny's for rich people". Well, Scintillare Limon (NB’s house made limoncello liqueur and prosecco) is like Mike's Hard Lemonade for rich people. A perfect ending to the meal.

They were full - every one of the tables was taken, but the staff was more than up to the challenge. Everything went very smoothly - no unreasonable waits between courses, or anything of the sort. Water glasses stayed full, plates were cleared at the proper time, etc. The parking valet was so backed up on our arrival, that rather than make us stand outside waiting, the hostess took our keys on the way in the door, and said that she would take care of it. She spent about half the evening helping run food to the table, to keep the room running smoothly. Mr. Boylen also stopped by the table to say hello, in between spending most of his evening also running plates to the tables.

Grand total was under $60pp, after tax and a 25% tip. What a deal for a wonderful 2 hours. Go.

We also had a fab experience at Notti tonight! Hie thee away to a table at Notti, peoples.

After scoring some free street parking nearby, my date and I came in a bit early and were promptly seated. We both opted for the wine pairings which was quite the deal. How can one say no? I decided on the butternut squash soup and my date had the goat cheese frittata. I've decided I've got a new place to haunt for good soup because it was just delicious. The little cubes of apple really complemented the squash, and the cookie pieces were a pleasant, sweet surprise. I can't recall what the nuts were, but who cares. All you need to know is nuts on soup? Yum. I had a nibble of the frittata but got mostly a chunk of tomato, so I can't really comment on it unfortunately.

After our plates were cleared, we had enough time to finish our wines before the mains came out. I chose the gnocci and he chose the pork. We both agreed the sauce with the gnocchi was AMAZINGLY good. I really couldn't contain my love and used some bread to mop it up- it was that good. The gnocchi were also quite good, and the breadcrumbs were a nice crunchy touch. My date loved the stuffed pork and I had to agree it was quite tasty.

For dessert we were both lame and got the same exact thing- the Zuccotto cake with the limoncello. The outside cake was a little difficult to manage (spongy and difficult to cut through with the fork) but it didn't really matter. The cherries weren't too sweet and the combo did indeed remind us of Black Forest Cake.

Now, the limoncello/prosecco, I really tried to like. Really. I've had limoncello once before and didn't like it. I thought it was a fluke. It's lemon! I love lemon! I'll try anything with lemon in it, pretty much. So I was sure I had somehow drank not-so-good limoncello before and this time I would like it. But it still tasted like Pledge to me. :)

Our waiter came by and noted the near full glasses. I explained my situation and he offered the port wine instead, which I initially refused, but then reconsidered. He swapped the wines out and hooray for that, because I liked that much better. And? No charge. Nicely done Notti :o

All in all, a great night. The service was impeccable and were all smiling (it's only Tuesday of RW afterall!) and everything was timed well. Hour and a half, and around $57/pp after tax and somewhere around a 28% tip. I also appreciated the non-RW prices printed on the menu so I could figure out what I might have spent otherwise. I look forward to visiting Notti again B)

DanielK covered the evening quite well, but as half of the other couple here are a few notes:

The gnocchi were perfect. I don't care for mushrooms as a stand-alone food, but love the flavor they impart, and in this dish they were magnificent. The wine pairing was a 2002 Talbott Vineyards Chardonnay - I'm not a big wine drinker, and rarely drink Chardonnay, but this was quite good.

The stuffed rack of pork was also excellent. As DanielK mentioned, my personal preference is for a more heavily seasoned dish and more intense flavor, but that's my Puerto Rican background showing - adjusting for that, this was a flawlessly prepared piece of piggy, and if I had been at home I would have sucked the bone clean. Kale has always been something I would eat but never seek out, but I'm now at risk of falling in love with the stuff. The prosciutto certainly helped. And as for the white bean puree, it was one small element of this dish, but as I sit here looking out the window at the gray skies and drizzle, I can't help thinking that a bowl of the stuff with a hunk of crusty bread would make a wonderful lunch.

The port wine poached pear was as it should be, with the port gently flavoring the pair, not dominating it, and the pear itself firm but melting in the mouth. Very nice.

We'll be back.

I feel like I don't have much to add after people wrote about RW meals here so far. I'd be mostly echoing the positive responses.

For my appetizer I had a half-portion of the Chestnut Pappardelle. It was delicious. I don't know how else to describe it. I also had the Hanger Steak (which did not have a surcharge), and thought the shortrib angaloti on the side could be made into a meal itself for one of the pasta choices. For dessert I ordered the gelato trio, but switched out the butternut squash for caramel. I couldn't have been happier. All three (the caramel plus chocolate amaretti and tiramisu) were rich and creamy and perfectly portioned to end the meal on a high note. Thanks also for the wine pairings! They gave me a chance to try a couple of things I wouldn't normally order.

My dinner companions all seemed to enjoy their meals and raves were given especially to the shaved fennel (orange & grapefruit segments, black olives & caper berries), ricotta gnocchi (trumpet mushrooms, mascarpone cream & herbed bread crumbs) and diver scallops (porcini crust, chestnut puree & braised local cabbage).

One thing I would like to add though that made our experience even better was the above and beyond service provided by Danny ("starfish") and his staff. One member of our party arrived first and had just parked at a meter on the street. She was inquiring about the strictness of the meter maids in the area since she'd only had a dime to deposit (this was around 6pm and the meters were supposed to be fed through 6:30). Without batting an eye, Danny asked what type and color of car she drove and where she parked and promised to send someone out to put more money in for her. It cost the restaurant no more than a quarter or two, and just made the evening that much more pleasant for her and us!

One thing I would like to add though that made our experience even better was the above and beyond service provided by Danny ("starfish") and his staff.  One member of our party arrived first and had just parked at a meter on the street.  She was inquiring about the strictness of the meter maids in the area since she'd only had a dime to deposit (this was around 6pm and the meters were supposed to be fed through 6:30).  Without batting an eye, Danny asked what type and color of car she drove and where she parked and promised to send someone out to put more money in for her.  It cost the restaurant no more than a quarter or two, and just made the evening that much more pleasant for her and us!

THe papparadelle Rule and the Gnocchi were a dream come true, We asked the right person when we asked Danny for help choosing a 2000 Damilano Barolo, his knowledge of the wines on their list was impressive. Three cheers for Tony for his passion, enthusiasm and mentors. Their Top 100 was well deserved. Thank you all for another memorable dining experience.

We had a wonderful experience at Notti Bianche last night, our first time there. As someone had noted, it does seem as though there is a bit more room between tables than when Nectar was in that space. On the basis of the comments here, I went with the chestnut pappardelle for an appetizer. It sounded great, and it was even better than I expected. I can't wait to get back there and order it as a main. My husband started with the mixed greens, and we both got the hangar steak. That salsa verde on the steak was exquisite.

I did the wine pairing for the meal, which is, indeed, a great value. For dessert, my husband had the zuccoto and I had the port wine poached pear, which I loved. The wine pairing of port with it took it one step further. We will definitely be getting back there soon, definitely before the pastas on the menu change :)

Well, restaurant week accomplished its purpose—it introduced us to the wonderful Notti Bianchi for the first time, and definitely instilled a desire to return. A brisk tailwind on Saturday evening propelled us down from the Dupont Circle Metro a bit early. My heart skipped a beat when the host couldn’t find our Open Table reservation on her list, but it eventually popped up. Whew.

A glass of prosecco and a perfectly constructed Negroni warmed us up. Danny Boylen came over to the table, introduced himself, and asked if we would mind moving from an interior table to one of the banquettes so they could accommodate a large group, which was fine with us. I was surprised how small and cozy the room is; a perfect neighborhood restaurant.

We couldn’t resist sharing the chestnut papparadelle as an appetizer. I see now what all the raves are about; it is a terrific dish. Perfect flavors and textures. The ragu rivals our Babbo benchmark. Overall, a dish that one would never tire of eating. Mrs. dcdavidm had the scallops, which were exquisite with their contrast between the heavily caramelized porcini crusted tops and the succulent interior. I had the stuffed rack of pork, which had incredibly intense flavors for what can sometimes be a bland "other white meat." Each ingredient on the plates was both distinctly satisfying itself and complementary to the main theme. The wine pairings were intelligently matched and made the meal even more interesting. The panettone pudding and house-made gelato were a fine finish; who would have thought butternut squash gelato would be so tasty!

Two tables down we overheard a glum-looking couple whining to Danny about the minuscule upcharges on the meat and fish course. They didn’t realize what a bargain they were getting.

For us, it was the highlight of RW. We will be back.

Just got back from a wonderful meal at Notti Bianche; how I wish this restaurant had been around when I used to work at the Watergate. All I can say is what a great experience. Incredible food, great wine pairings (wow!) and such good service. I will absolutely be back. I had the chestnut paperdelle, the cod and sorbets. My friends both had the butternut squash soup (yum, I was lucky enough to get a taste), one had the scallops, the other had the pasta with tomato sauce, and both had zucotto for dessert. What great wine pairings we had through the restaurant week menu. I'm so impressed. Even though the space is small (and I had been to Zuki Moon and Nectar), it didn't feel cramped. One complaint: the bread was cold (cold, not room temp). Otherwise, an excellent meal and such a pleasant experience. I will be back and am so happy to have had the benefit of restaurant week pricing, I feel like I got an extra gift. Thank you!

I just have to chime in with more positive feedback on Notti Bianche. I felt like we had uncovered buried treasure last night. The meal was fantastic and I'm only sorry I haven't been sooner.

Most of the dishes have been covered in other posts, so I'll keep it brief. I had the sweetbreads starter, hanger steak entree, and zuccotto for dessert. +1 had the half-order of linguine with shrimp, followed by the cod main and finished up with the poached pear. We both enjoyed the incredibly reasonably priced wine pairings. The cod melted under gentle pressure from a fork and the accompanying braised cabbage achieved flavor that I wouldn't have thought possible from a dumpy cruciferous vegetable :o And let's not even get started on the crispy baccala cannelloni - is it possible that paper thin wrapper was really pasta??

I thought the sweetbreads were quite good and a different preparation from the (one) other time I've had them with the sweet/tart of the balsamic and squash complementing the crispiness of the featured item. [reading DanielK's post, I wonder if they weren't slightly overcooked as I didn't experience the soft inside he describes - they were tasty nonetheless :lol: ]. The steak was great and very generously sized. Desserts were both excellent - he loved the scintillare limon paired with his poached pear [alliteration, anyone?] and the port was a nice accompaniment to the cherries and chocolate of my dessert.

All I can say is WOW! The food coming out of this little kitchen is amazing and I can't wait to try more of it. I heard superlatives coming from the +1's mouth left and right - "the best cod I've ever had" "one of the best meals I've had in a long time" and so on. Simple, clean flavors, expertly prepared - and the service was great too. I think the best part (aside from the great food) was how the space, which, let's face it, can be a bit offputting when you first walk in, was transformed into a cozy, glowing, comfortable cocoon once we were seated. The colors, the music, the lighting - all of it comes together to create a lovely setting for great food.

I'm ready to go back and try the gnocchi and the fritatta and the.... B)

so much for keeping it short :)

I'd been to Notti Bianche once before so I knew it was a great place but at restaurant week it's also an amazing value. All of the dishes we had have been covered in other posts and I will echo the heaps of praise already received.

The baccala cannelloni was like nothing I've ever tasted. The wrapper was tender yet crisp. And the baccala's texture was somehow smooth and hearty at the same time. It almost tasted like a Vietnamese spring roll but with delicate fish instead of pork.

Thanks to Danny ("starfish") for the same warm and gracious atmosphere I remembered from my last visit. I hope Notti Bianche will be participating in August RW cause I'll be back :)

RW weekend was a flurry of activity for me. Tosca, followed by Corduroy, and finally Notti Bianche to round the weekend out. Not much to add from what was posted above, but I really enjoyed the zuccotto cake (Danny can I get the recipe?) that I had and the taste of the pannetone pudding.

Last night found me holding up the bar at NB.

Worked my way through three courses: fritatta, the pseudo-Caeser salad and the pappardelle. These have all been covered fairly extensively on this thread so I won't go into too much depth in describing them. All the dishes were excellent, my only quibble would be that the pappardelle could benefit from allowing the zing from the tomatoes to come through a little more in the ragu, thus lightening the dish a slight bit. But it could also be that it was my third course and I was the heavy one.

Is this the best food in DC? It doesn't matter.

It's very good food that represents a superb quality-price ratio. It has very good and welcoming service and a warm atmosphere.

I'm not knowledgeable about Italian wines, and thus can't say too much about the list. But when Danny corrected the wine I should have to go with the pappardelle (which made a definite improvement), he revealed the passion for the food and wine that help change a good restaurant into a very good restaurant. For the record, he recommended the Andeluna, an Argentinian cabernet.

Why am I looking forward to returning? A major reason is three very good courses, 2 and a half glasses of wine for under $50 (with tax, but not tip).

Six of us will be going to Notti Bianche to celebrate my stepfather's birthday next Sunday night. None of us are picky eaters (and we love octopus and sweetbreads!), so what would you fine people recommend we try?

My fiance is a darling but largely unadventurous. He really tries, but he will most likely order some variety of roast chicken or hangar steak. So what else is there for the rest of us?

My fiance is a darling but largely unadventurous. He really tries, but he will most likely order some variety of roast chicken or hangar steak. So what else is there for the rest of us?

Tell the fiance to try the chesnut pappardelle. It's slightly adventurous, but if you usually like spaghetti with meat sauce, this is just a much more superior version (I shouldn't compare the papparedelle to a ho-hum dish like that, but just suggesting a way to start stepping out of a comfort zone)

I agree, NewFoodie. Sounds nouveau and different, but there's nothing "weird" about this dish, not even for picky eaters.

Anyone else want to start a petition to Chef Chittum asking him to put the garganelli back on the menu?

The chestnut pappardelle with pork ragu was rich and meaty but not heavy.  The only problem was that I thought the pasta itself was rolled out too thin.  It gets completely lost in the sauce.  As much as I liked that sauce, I wanted to taste and feel the pasta, too.  I mentioned this to the server and hopefully the chef will try something to make the pasta an equal partner in the dish.  I look forward to trying it again.

I had the pappardelle again on Friday. It's definitely a more solid noodle than had been served to me when I first tried it. Much much better. Bravo.