Notti Bianche, near The Kennedy Center, in the Former Nectar Space - Closed

Based on my visit last night: The raviolini continues to please. The service continues to charm. Many thanks to Danny for providing some personalized menus for a special occasion.

There are some menu changes coming today, I believe. A starter of softshell crab is being added to the menu, as well as a tagliatelle with lump crab.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Based on my visit last night: The raviolini continues to please. The service continues to charm. Many thanks to Danny for providing some personalized menus for a special occasion.

There are some menu changes coming today, I believe. A starter of softshell crab is being added to the menu, as well as a tagliatelle with lump crab.

Which reminds me: I was there Tuesday evening for a quick dinner before a performance at the KC; met Danny for the first time, who fixed me up at the bar with the prosciutto-wrapped asparagus and the hanger steak. I even managed a glass of tawny before getting out with time to spare. Everything was delightful. The steak was a perfect medium rare and very tender and flavorful--went beautifully with the dolcetto by the glass. Thanks to Danny and his staff for a lovely (if all too brief) dinner.

If it's the tagliatelle that was part of our tasting menu a couple of weeks that is great news. It was delicious.

I've having lunch here on Friday and can't wait! There seem to be some slight differences on the restaurant's website between the PDF menu and the linked menus. Anyone know which is more up to date?

(at least the raviolini is on both!)

I've having lunch here on Friday and can't wait! There seem to be some slight differences on the restaurant's website between the PDF menu and the linked menus. Anyone know which is more up to date?

(at least the raviolini is on both!)

ah yes, spring when a chef's desires get restless and menus change with the frequency of rabbits in heat and overworked gm's struggle to keep everything current. :unsure:

the website will be current in a couple of days. sorry for the inconveinence.

Dinner O'Tentacles

If you enjoyed the charred baby octopus that used to be on the menu, you'll love the new octopus dish. Adult octopus this time. Perfectly cooked, nice and tender. And the grilling was spot on, too. Not too much charring that the smokiness overwhelmed the meat. When I had eaten the baby octopus I had found it too often got crackly and crunchy from over-charring and that wasn't what I was looking for. This new one is great.

And they had my favorite risotto last night. Squid ink topped with calamari. I think I wrote about it earlier in the thread. The inky rice just takes on this wonderful oceany, salty, sweetness. And the calamari on top were perhaps the most mouthwateringly tender I'd ever eaten. They had just enough chew to keep them together but almost seemed as soft as pasta. My only complaint, less rice, more squid. I couldn't finish all the rice on that plate but I really would have loved some more of the fish.

The risotto paired nicely with a pinot bianco and a pinot noir.

Lots of other new stuff on the menu which I was ready to try....until I heard that the squid ink risotto was on.

Dinner O'Tentacles

If you enjoyed the charred baby octopus that used to be on the menu, you'll love the new octopus dish.

I'm not an octopus guy, but I know the table enxt to ours last night was raving about this dish too.

What was I raving about? The crab tagliatelle, the chicken diavola with panzanella (all jenrus had to say about this was "fresh"), the nutella donuts (is there anything bad in that phrase?).

And the birthday card signed by the staff was an especially nice touch.

Definitely get the raviolini...it is wonderful and lives up to all the hype. We recently dined there and I got the raviolini as my starter and the hangar steak as my main. I wish I had gotten the full portion of the raviolini (my hangar steak was a bit on the rare side, but since I did it to myself-- when we ordered, I emphasized that I wanted it more rare than medium since I had been having a lot of overcooked meat lately-- I didn't send it back). Service was a bit spacey (water glasses not filled, different people coming back to ask us the same questions), but nonetheless, we had a nice evening.

the website will be current in a couple of days. sorry for the inconveinence.

No inconvenience at all. I was already fairly sure what I would be ordering.

Speaking of which, I don't know what else to say about the raviolini that hasn't been said already. Ordering pasta is generally not my thing but this dish has completely changed my mind. I started with the goat cheese frittata, which was a tad bit underseasoned but the accompanying tomatoes burst with sweet tanginess.

Service was seamless and friendly. Definitely looking forward to my next visit.

I figured I better weigh in as we had a fabulous meal at Notti Bianche on Thurs June 8th for my 30th birthday. I couldn't think of a better way to end what started as a horrible day...I was rear-ended on my way to work...on my birthday! Danny and the rest of the staff made the rest of the day fade from my memory. Oh and of course my loving husband (Pete) helped make the day better by taking the day off work since my boss sent me home and taking care of me. :unsure:

Danny had special menus printed for us with a birthday message at the top, a nice touch. We decided to start with the Charred octopus for me and the mustard crusted beef carpaccio for Pete. Danny convinced us we also needed to share the crispy soft shell crab…which I’m glad he did. The crab came first as it went well with the glasses of prosecco we had already ordered to start. Danny paired the octopus with 2002 talbott sleepy hollow chardonnay and the beef with 2004 pecchinino dolcetto. The chardonnay was excellent…coming from someone who normally dislikes CA chardonnay.

We then opted for a pasta course of the garganelli for me and the tagliatelle for Pete paired with 2004 la spinetta sangiovese and 2003 conte zandotti frascatti respectively. The tagliatelle was topped with lump blue crab which was fantastic. My garganelli had little meatballs, broccoli rabe and a roasted red pepper puree…fantastic. The flavors melded together so well; the meatballs were so flavorful.

For main entrees I decided to try the roasted branzino, a fish I’ve never eaten before. I have to admit, I avoided the hanger as I knew we were heading to Ray’s on Sat night. Pete opted for the crispy skin sablefish. Both were paired with 2004 acorn rosato.

We both finished with the “coffee and doughnuts” which were fantastic. Pete had wanted to try the almond torte but unfortunately they were out of it. I think he was fine once he tasted those nuttella doughnuts. The best and Danny made it better by bringing us the baci notte cocktail, strong but good.

Forgive me for not being more descriptive…I waited too long to write this all down.

Overall the service was excellent, the food fantastic, the wine pairings perfect, and we were even given a personalized menu with all our choices and wines that was signed with birthday wishes by the staff.

Oh, also, Danny was nice enough to move us when the person they sat next to us started taking calls on his cell phone. You can’t ask for better service than that. Thanks Danny and crew for making the evening perfect for my birthday.

I dunno. Watching Danny club this boor like a baby seal might have made it a little better. :unsure:

Well, sure; however, Danny may have gotten his snazzy suit dirty. ;)

Danny was very tactful about moving our table. He did it without us even asking. It is clear that Danny genuinely enjoys assisting diners, which rubs off on the wait staff as well who were equally as friendly to us. Thanks for a wonderful evening.

Dining at Notti Bianche always feels like a treat to me. I enjoy the food, of course, but I always find the service very pleasant. My meal there last Sunday was no exception (however I was aware of a noise issue that had never bothered me before).

After enjoying a drink at the back bar with my boyfriend and my visiting mother, we moved to our table and ordered. I started with a half-portion of the garganelli; Mom had the oh-so-delicious asparagus with prosciutto and a poached egg. I liked my pasta, but in retrospect, I wish I had gone with the raviolini instead as I tend to prefer the kitchen's richer pastas (like that much-missed garganelli with a cremy sauce and crunchy brussel sprout petals). Didn't taste my boyfriend's octapus, but he seemed to like it.

I can't quite get myself to NOT order the hanger steak. It's always so good, a fact that was confirmed by my boyfriend who didn't adore his veal spiedini. I tasted it and although the flavor was nice, it struck me as dry and not something I'd want to eat a whole plate of. Mom raved about her chicken "diavola." She's not a big chicken person so I was surprised and nervous when she ordered it, but no need.

Desserts were coffee and doughnuts (delicious little sugared doughnut holes), and gelato.

Just got back from dinner at Notti Bianche. My wife and I took a friend to dinner for her birthday (a big one, ending in a zero), and one more friend joined us. I had asked Danny to pay a little extra attention to the birthday girl, who has been a bit down recently. We were, of course, treated extremely well - Danny and his team were attentive, thoughtful, generous and warm, without the slightest hint of intrusiveness that sometimes comes with special attention. Truly an outstanding evening, and BG was delighted. (I should mention that my wife and I had only been to NB once before - although it instantly became a favorite, we do at least attempt to follow a low-carb diet most of the time, so a restaurant with irresistable pasta unfortunately can't be a regular part of our dining schedule).

The food? Well, celebrating the occasion and the company precluded taking good mental notes, so this won't be much of a report. Three of us had the chilled pea soup - divine, and so light; BG had the carpaccio and was thrilled (didn't taste it). I couldn't decide between the raviolini and the garganelli, so I had half-orders of each. Given the choice again, I still would be stuck for a decision. Both were excellent; the morels in the raviolini especially good considering that I generally avoid any sort of fungus. My wife's risotto with braised lamb trumped them both, the lamb being exquisitely tender and flavorful (I think Danny mentioned something about it being braised for eight hours). BG had the garganelli and loved it, and our fourth pronounced herself extremely happy with the crispy skin sablefish. Two orders of coffee and doughnuts followed - I got a small taste only - and I settled for a delicious wildflower honey semifreddo. Three of us also shared a tasting of five Grahams ports (the 20 year old tawny was the majority favorite).

Wine - Not sure what BG started with, as she got there before we did. At the bar we started with - let me find that wine list online, ah, here it is:

2003 the grappler (zin, syrah, cab blend), 20 rows - napa valley, california

My wife picked it, Danny seemed pleased when he came back to the bar as it was being opened, and we all loved it. After killing off that bottle during dinner, at Danny's suggestion we went with

2004 shiraz dead letter office, henry’s drive – padthaway district, australia

Wonderful stuff also. I'm not much of a wine drinker - single malts are my preference - so I won't attempt to describe the wines. I'd only amuse (or confuse) you without providing any useful information. Danny also brought us something bubbly and delicious to wrap up the evening, but I don't recall the name, and BG took home the list Danny so thoughtfully prepared for her.

So, other than killing a couple of hours wandering around the city until BG was OK to drive home, that was our evening - great food, excellent service, wonderful hospitality. Thank you Danny and all at NB.

Tomorrow Citronelle. Yeah, it's a tough week.

the potomac restaurant group and i have parted ways. i wish i could be more gracious at the moment and wish them luck, but i am not there yet.

thanks to everyone here that helped make my run at notti successful.

don, please change the name of this thread.

The kitchen at Notti Bianche was only part of the equation that made it such a nice restaurant. The front of the house, under Danny's leadership, played as much, or perhaps even more of a role in making it a pleasureable destination.

Danny Boylen's departure from Notti Bianche is a MAJOR blow to that restaurant. Believe me, not having the 2006 DC Restaurant Manager of the Year managing your floor means Notti Bianche is no longer Notti Bianche. Danny, we wish you luck and success in a new location. Your new employers will be very lucky indeed to have you and I know I'll be following you to your next gig.

the potomac restaurant group and i have parted ways. i wish i could be more gracious at the moment and wish them luck, but i am not there yet.

Danny, I can't believe you've left. You were the public face of Notti Bianche. I don't think they will ever be able to find someone who can make service there so smooth and make every guest feel like a guest indeed. I will certainly miss your presence.

Ken

Danny Boylen's departure from Notti Bianche is a MAJOR blow to that restaurant. Believe me, not having the 2006 DC Restaurant Manager of the Year managing your floor means Notti Bianche is no longer Notti Bianche. Danny, we wish you luck and success in a new location. Your new employers will be very lucky indeed to have you and I know I'll be following you to your next gig.

Absolutely. This is sad. Danny we look forward to your return and to seeing what you do for another lucky restaurant to be.

GAH! And just when I had finally made a reservation (birthday no less!) to try this highly recommended restaurant.

Danny, I don't know you (nor am I frequent contributor here) but ... color me bummed. :unsure:

Looking forward to following you to your next restaurant (hopefully a bit sooner next time!)

The kitchen at Notti Bianche was only part of the equation that made it such a nice restaurant. The front of the house, under Danny's leadership, played as much, or perhaps even more of a role in making it a pleasureable destination.

I know that Tony and Heather will be able to keep Notti Bianche at the forefront of Italian dining in DC.

I know that Tony and Heather will be able to keep Notti Bianche at the forefront of Italian dining in DC.

I have no doubt that the kitchen will continue to excel as it always has. But I maintain that NB's appeal was so much more than the kitchen. It's the restaurant's overall appeal that will diminish, not the quality of the food and its preparation. I also believe Danny made a huge mark in the wine offerings at NB. His nose for wine will also be missed.

But I maintain that NB's appeal was so much more than the kitchen. It's the restaurant's overall appeal that will diminish,

Two things: Perhaps Danny's assistant manager, who is a member here, btw, will do him proud. I like what I've seen of her so far.

I will miss his taste in music, though. Hope it doesn't change. John Coltrane suits that space nicely.

Just wanted to add an update to my earlier post (since, for the life of me, I've no idea how to edit my original post).

We had a wonderful experience (1st time) at Notti Bianche this week. Celebrated a big birthday, enjoyed some awe inspiring food and were just blown away by the warmth, friendliness and professionalism of the staff. Special kudos to Julia who really went above and beyond for us.

We'll be back (batten down the hatches and hide the wine list!)!

Legacy Libations Lives On!!!

Notti Bianche warmly invites the community of Don Rockwell to continuein our own legacy in honoring a monthly tradition, celebrated the last Friday of every month. After all, the more we celebrate in the spirit of great food and fine wine, the more we will get better acquainted :unsure:

We proudly strive in our commitment to providing exquisite cuisine equally paired by our everlasting service to our guests.

Please join us in our celebration of a continuing tradition. Friday July 28th. Same time, same place as always.

Thank you to all of our guests for your support and understanding while we are in transition.

Yours truly,

The Notti Bianche Family

Danny please let us know where you go next, and I'll be there with a cigar and a smile as always

We finally got there for dinner last night, for the first time. I'm just sorry we weren't able to do it while Danny was still there! We don't venture into DC often enough for dinner, although there are clearly some very good reasons to do so.

My husband disliked the space intensely, because it was "dark" (his description). He was cranky about that even before we sat down. In spite of his dislike of the physical space, the menu excited him, and the wine list did, too. Before we ever tasted a single bite, he was talking about what he'd like to try on future visits.

We started with those lovely bruschetta as we examined the menu and planned our order. He had the octopus, the special risotto (oven-roasted cherry tomatoes, a lovely slice of Buffalo mozzarela, and arugula pesto), and the branzino. I overheard another server describing the braised short-ribs raviolini with chanterelles, and requested that after the hearts of romaine salad, and before the hanger steak.

Not only did we have no complaints about the food, we both felt that the risotto and the raviolini were "home runs," and loved every bite. I revisted my leftover steak and potatoes for lunch today, bringing back happy memories.

While the food was spectacular, the service was tentative at times and slow at others. The staff were friendly and gracious, but it was several minutes before our server made his first approach to ask about drinks. The air-conditioning seemed to be malfunctioning, and it was very warm in the room, but a large glass of ice we requested for our water mitigated that issue. Possibly also because of the heat outside, we had to hunt around for the parking valet when we were ready to leave--we finally found him in the hotel lobby.

Seeing the corkage policy upthread, we took a nice Chablis with us to have with our appetizers (we bought glasses of wine for our later courses). Unfortunately, this policy seems to no longer be in effect, as neither our server nor the hostess was at all familiar with it (or Rockwell, for that matter). No problem, we paid the $20 corkage fee. I was a little surprised that our server didn't discuss the corkage fee at the beginning of the meal (nor did the hostess, when we showed up with the bottle), as the few other restaurants where we have taken wine usually do so, and we try to be familiar with corkage policies ahead of time. I thought the information on this thread would suffice, and I did write in the comments section in my Open Table reservation (initiated from the restaurant's website) fulfilled the request for advance notice.

I'm already dreaming of our next dinner there! In spite of my complaints above, the food was good enough to overcome all of it. I also like the flexibility of the menu, with half-portions of pastas and risotto, allowing for lots of creative combinations. I can't wait!

Nah, that's a recurring issue. I have had trouble with the valet every time I have driven to NB and not parked on the street.

Possibly also because of the heat outside, we had to hunt around for the parking valet when we were ready to leave--we finally found him in the hotel lobby.

Possibly also because of the heat outside, we had to hunt around for the parking valet when we were ready to leave--we finally found him in the hotel lobby.

I am sure that the valet works for the hotel also and therefore they are usually in the hotel lobby.

We finally got there for dinner last night, for the first time. I'm just sorry we weren't able to do it while Danny was still there! We don't venture into DC often enough for dinner, although there are clearly some very good reasons to do so.

My husband disliked the space intensely, because it was "dark" (his description). He was cranky about that even before we sat down. In spite of his dislike of the physical space, the menu excited him, and the wine list did, too. Before we ever tasted a single bite, he was talking about what he'd like to try on future visits.

We started with those lovely bruschetta as we examined the menu and planned our order. He had the octopus, the special risotto (oven-roasted cherry tomatoes, a lovely slice of Buffalo mozzarela, and arugula pesto), and the branzino. I overheard another server describing the braised short-ribs raviolini with chanterelles, and requested that after the hearts of romaine salad, and before the hanger steak.

Not only did we have no complaints about the food, we both felt that the risotto and the raviolini were "home runs," and loved every bite. I revisted my leftover steak and potatoes for lunch today, bringing back happy memories.

While the food was spectacular, the service was tentative at times and slow at others. The staff were friendly and gracious, but it was several minutes before our server made his first approach to ask about drinks. The air-conditioning seemed to be malfunctioning, and it was very warm in the room, but a large glass of ice we requested for our water mitigated that issue. Possibly also because of the heat outside, we had to hunt around for the parking valet when we were ready to leave--we finally found him in the hotel lobby.

Seeing the corkage policy upthread, we took a nice Chablis with us to have with our appetizers (we bought glasses of wine for our later courses). Unfortunately, this policy seems to no longer be in effect, as neither our server nor the hostess was at all familiar with it (or Rockwell, for that matter). No problem, we paid the $20 corkage fee. I was a little surprised that our server didn't discuss the corkage fee at the beginning of the meal (nor did the hostess, when we showed up with the bottle), as the few other restaurants where we have taken wine usually do so, and we try to be familiar with corkage policies ahead of time. I thought the information on this thread would suffice, and I did write in the comments section in my Open Table reservation (initiated from the restaurant's website) fulfilled the request for advance notice.

I'm already dreaming of our next dinner there! In spite of my complaints above, the food was good enough to overcome all of it. I also like the flexibility of the menu, with half-portions of pastas and risotto, allowing for lots of creative combinations. I can't wait!

Greetings. Allow me to introduce myself. Being that this is a public forum, I will treat it as such.

My name is Julia, and I am the assistant general manager of Notti Bianche. I worked with Danny Boylen, and have since continued my position as of his departure. I am happy to say that I personally continue his legacy at the restaurant to the best of my ability.

Our goal as a restaurant has always been, and will continue to be, to constantly strive for providing innovative cuisine in conjunction with our commitment to superlative service. To that end, we value your comments and are always working to improve as a staff. After all, what is dr.com but an avenue to which consumers and restauranteurs can gather and make everyone's experience enjoyable and rewarding?

Please also understand that with new management, there may be a few changes, and that this is to expected with any restaurant. As I understand it, the waiving of the corkage fee (normally $20 per bottle) was a personal decision made by the general manager at the time for his friends (IE anyone who reads DR.com) I would go so far as to ask whether this courtesy will follow Danny Boylen to his future endeavors, or if this is strictly a Notti Bianche tradition.

Thank you for your comments concerning the valet wait-time. We are already implementing a plan to streamline the wait guests have for the valet and wish this were brought to our attention earlier. Yes, we do share the valet with the George Washington University Inn, hence where some of the confusion may lie.

Unfortunately, I was not present during the dinner Saturday evening due to a personal medical emergency. (Normally, I make it a point to be present most evenings during dinner service, and I would have made it a point to be present during dinner Saturday evenings as I do every weekend.)

The current general manager was not aware of any promises made in the past by former management concerning the waiving of corkage fees as implied on dr.com in previous posts.

The rules may have changed, however, the game remains the same. We do not encourage any practices that are unfair to any of our guests. IE how would one feel if they knew they were not being waived corkage simply because no one informed them of the dr.com forum. I, for one, promote a just cause, and the ideation that one is priveleged simply because of a website forum seems absurd, especially since that privelege carries certain courtesies, be them exceptions to the rule or whatever. This is simply unfair, and to hold the current management team to an exception that was implied by the previous management is unreasonable.

I sincerely apologize for not ensuring a memorable and delightful experience for member ScotteeM, and we welcome her return for a visit in the near future where we will go above and beyond the call for superb service.

For any further questions or comments you may contact me directly at manager@nottibianche.com. In fact, I encourage you to do so, and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

Julia Rose Wolfe

The current general manager was not aware of any promises made in the past by former management concerning the waiving of corkage fees as implied on dr.com in previous posts.

... I, for one, promote a just cause, and the ideation that one is priveleged simply because of a website forum seems absurd, especially since that privelege carries certain courtesies, be them exceptions to the rule or whatever. This is simply unfair, and to hold the current management team to an exception that was implied by the previous management is unreasonable.

I went into a women's clothing store the other day. The kind that sends courtesy coupons to some of its select preferred customers for future purchases. I stood in line behind a woman who used one of these coupons, while I had none. Did I think that was unfair or absurd? Not at all - that's a marketing decision made by management, to encourage their loyal clientelle to return.

When a restaurant manager establishes (not "implies" but explicitly announces) a corkage waiver policy for certain preferred patrons, and the restaurant has been consistently honoring that waiver, shouldn't any new managers and servers have been made aware of that policy so that any subsequent change in policy can be brought to the attention of the patrons, before the bill arrives? A simple announcement on this board (which is essentially what we are now getting, albeit too late for ScotteeM) would have avoided this: no more waived corkage. I have no problem with that.

The rules may have changed, however, the game remains the same. We do not encourage any practices that are unfair to any of our guests. IE how would one feel if they knew they were not being waived corkage simply because no one informed them of the dr.com forum. I, for one, promote a just cause, and the ideation that one is priveleged simply because of a website forum seems absurd, especially since that privelege carries certain courtesies, be them exceptions to the rule or whatever. This is simply unfair, and to hold the current management team to an exception that was implied by the previous management is unreasonable.

How does that square with this?

Legacy Libations Lives On!!!

Notti Bianche warmly invites the community of Don Rockwell to continuein our own legacy in honoring a monthly tradition, celebrated the last Friday of every month. After all, the more we celebrate in the spirit of great food and fine wine, the more we will get better acquainted :)

We proudly strive in our commitment to providing exquisite cuisine equally paired by our everlasting service to our guests.

You seem to be placing the blame on ScotteeM, going so far as to call her "unreasonable," but it seems that before her visit you had posted that one DR "privelege" was still intact (Legacy Libations), but failed to mention that another had been changed (waiving the corkage fee). Her issue isn't with the fact that this corkage policy had changed (which I hope we would all understand), but rather that management didn't communicate that fact, or even tell her what their current corkage policy was, despite her notifying you a month ahead of time that she was bringing in a bottle of wine. She wasn't "holding" you to anything, she was just disappointed that your policies (and changes in policy) weren't communicated in an adequate way. Telling someone who is "already dreaming" of going back to Notti Bianche in spite of all this that they are being unfair seems like bad business to me.

Julia, I try to avoid controversial posts, but I have to tell you that I was a bit taken aback by your post. I think all you had to say was that the policy had changed. Who could argue with that? But, to criticize Danny publically and, in turn, the people at this site who benefitted from his hospitality, seems so unnecessary. What surprises me about your post is that, after Danny departed, YOU invited everyone at dr.com to continue the legacy libations tradition. To be sure, this was special treatment for the dr.com community, and your post implied continuity in the management style, which may have led people to believe the corkage policy would continue. After all, how would the general dr.com public know that it was "Danny's" policy, and that the restaurant thought it was ridiculous and unreasonable.

I'm not some crazed Danny loyalist who wants to stomp any and all criticism of him. Danny was a gracious general manager at notti, and I am looking forward to seeing what he does at PS7. I don't know what happened btw notti and Danny, and so i'm in no position to judge either party, at least I wasn't until I read your post. Last Friday, I went to legacy libations. I was the only person from dr.com who attended. I decided to go because I didn't know the backstory on Danny's departure, I had been treated well in the past (by everyone at the restaurant), and I enjoy the food, especially the addictive tagliatelle (sp?). Your post gives me pause about returning, though. I don't expect special treatment because I belong to this community. I try to be a generous, low maintenance guest at the places I frequent (well, except for the occassional drunken obnoxiousness). But I sense resentment and frustration in your post. Resentment of "Danny's policies", resentment of the people who benefitted from them, and frustration with the entire situation. Those are valid emotions, I suppose, but i'm not sure why you would express them in your official capacity and on this site, especially given the warm and welcoming message you posted a few weeks ago. With so many dining options, why would I rush to return? It might help for you to post the new management policies so people know what to expect when they dine with you.

Greetings. Allow me to introduce myself. Being that this is a public forum, I will treat it as such.

My name is Julia, and I am the assistant general manager of Notti Bianche. I worked with Danny Boylen, and have since continued my position as of his departure. I am happy to say that I personally continue his legacy at the restaurant to the best of my ability.

Our goal as a restaurant has always been, and will continue to be, to constantly strive for providing innovative cuisine in conjunction with our commitment to superlative service. To that end, we value your comments and are always working to improve as a staff. After all, what is dr.com but an avenue to which consumers and restauranteurs can gather and make everyone's experience enjoyable and rewarding?

Please also understand that with new management, there may be a few changes, and that this is to expected with any restaurant. As I understand it, the waiving of the corkage fee (normally $20 per bottle) was a personal decision made by the general manager at the time for his friends (IE anyone who reads DR.com) I would go so far as to ask whether this courtesy will follow Danny Boylen to his future endeavors, or if this is strictly a Notti Bianche tradition.

Thank you for your comments concerning the valet wait-time. We are already implementing a plan to streamline the wait guests have for the valet and wish this were brought to our attention earlier. Yes, we do share the valet with the George Washington University Inn, hence where some of the confusion may lie.

Unfortunately, I was not present during the dinner Saturday evening due to a personal medical emergency. (Normally, I make it a point to be present most evenings during dinner service, and I would have made it a point to be present during dinner Saturday evenings as I do every weekend.)

I sincerely apologize for not ensuring a memorable and delightful experience for member ScotteeM, and we welcome her return for a visit in the near future where we will go above and beyond the call for superb service.

For any further questions or comments you may contact me directly at manager@nottibianche.com. In fact, I encourage you to do so, and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours truly,

Julia Rose Wolfe

In Julia's defense, she had written me last night asking me for advice on how to best announce this policy change. I'm not at liberty to simply cut-and-paste her PM to me, but I can say that I'm certain her posting isn't "reading" like she meant it to read.

I'm kind of left feeling like a heel!

I did what was posted on this thread: I mentioned in the comments section of my Open Table reservation that I would be bringing a bottle and toasting "To Rocks," (and although my husband probably felt silly, we didt that).

Our server said nothing about corkage (or anything else) when he opened our bottle, which led us both to assume that our reservation message was satisfactory. Of course, in hindsight, I realize that this constituted using my participation in the website as a means to gain favors, which was not my real intention.

And, for the record, our reservation was made the day before--not a month before as mentioned upthread. Sorry for any misunderstanding!

We will go back, because the food was that good. Please, people, know that the back of the house is amazing and you will enjoy a phenomenal dinner if you go there!

I don't think Julia's post was out of line. When I took over my current management position, I made several changes. Some benefitted our clients, but most benefitted our business model - successfully so. I was constantly bombarded by requests which were, by my estimination, ridiculous and presumptious. "Well, JOHNNY did THIS for me! Johnny did THAT for me!"

I'm not *#&$ing Johnny, all right?

It can be VERY frustrating to take over a new management position and have to make changes which you feel will benefit your business while at the same time having to deal with the expectations of long-time clients. I now have my OWN long-time clients, whom I will go out of my way for to make happy. It's hard not to take that kind of treatment by someone else's long-time clients personally.

The fact that Julia was willing to write such a long and expository post shows her commitment to customer service. While the DR community is certainly a devoted client base of Notti Bianche, I doubt the majority of even their long-time clients are DR members. They certainly could succeed without us. Julia is taking time out of her busy schedule to share with us an intimate portrait of the thoughts and feelings behind this decision. We should be grateful for that!

Sometimes people, even in the customer service industry (god forbid!), get upset. We should forgive Julia a little frustration during this stressful transition since she's so willing to share some of it with us.

EDIT: CrescentFresh - cheerfully withdrawn :)

Julia is taking time out of her busy schedule to share with us an intimate portrait of the thoughts and feelings behind what was undoubtedly a heavily considered decision.

You make reasonable arguments. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but your points are reasonable. Except for one where, in my opinion, you're way off base. I don't think there is any evidence for us to believe at all, let alone undoubtedly, that there was heavy consideration to this decision. I have no clue how you've reached that conclusion.

The only other point I'd make is...wouldn't you like to have your own long-term clients AND your predecessor's long-term clients, too? Julia's rambling apology/announcement/whathaveyou combined with the befuddlement suffered by ScotteeM doesn't sit too well with me.

As Julia noted, "the rules have changed but the game remains the same." I'd like to know specifically what rules and what game?

The only other point I'd make is...wouldn't you like to have your own long-term clients AND your predecessor's long-term clients, too? Julia's rambling apology/announcement/whathaveyou combined with the befuddlement suffered by ScotteeM doesn't sit too well with me.

As Julia noted, "the rules have changed but the game remains the same." I'd like to know specifically what rules and what game?

The rules may have changed, however the game remains the same.

The "game" I refer to is the business of the restaurant, and the enjoyment of all parties (guests and restauranteurs.) The "rules" I refer to are those specifically pertaining to the restaurant. I have others I must ask and get their opinion regarding special considerations, comps, or discounts that are not accounted for.

Personally, I have no qualms about doing special discounts for those who have earned my respect and trust. However, being that there are many others involved in the decision process, I have no authority to "OK" any exceptions to the rule. You may PM me, email me, call me, or if it pleases you, post to the NB thread with your comments.

I'm looking forward to my stint at Notti Bianche, and I will prolong my stay as long as possible. Sometimes, that means adhering to the rules.

And I wasn't trying to down anything ScotteeM had experienced or posted. In fact, I appreciate constructive criticism because it helps to improve our restaurant and the experiences of our guests. However, I would appreciate the opportunity to rectify any situation that may come up in the future as it pertains in the restaurant to me personally, and I will gladly resolve it in a kind manner.

We returned to Notti last night for the first time in months and it remains a gem. But for the Restaurant Week menus, you wouldn't know that it was "amateur week."

Others have debated the merits of the space in the past. I tend to find it attractive and quaint. I'm not sure what if anything changed since we were there last, but it seemed brighter and more comfortable still.

The food and service both remain top notch. The Restaurant Week menu was the full summer offering with an occasional $2 upcharge. Notti continued its past tradition of offering wine pairings for $15, of which we gladly took advantage. Their list remains among my favorites and the half glass option is a real plus when trying to pair with a variety of dishes.

We had the started with the octopus and the prosciutto with melon. Both were scrumptious. The octupus was a sizeable portion and an intense smoky charred flavor. The prosciutto was thinly cut and it saltiness wonderfully matched against the very sweet ripe melon balls.

For entrees, the Garganelli and Linguini were outstanding. Notti continues to offer my favorite pasta dishes around. Does anyone still think Galileo or another longstanding DC restaurant serves better pasta than Chef Chittum's? Both dishes featured ripe cherry tomatoes. The Gaganelli came with a potent olive, anchovy, guanciale sauce. The linguine was spinach based and came with several large gulf shrimp. The sauce, described simply as a "shellfish-butter" sauce was quite spicy and a lot of fun.

Desserts were Semifreddo and Semolina. The wildflower-honey semifreddo was good, but the accompanying raspberries & pistachio biscotti were great. The Semolina was less exciting, though it too was had the good fortune of being served with tasty accompaniments: poached peaches and marscapone.

Service was impeccable. Our table was waiting for us when we arrived a few minutes early, we were never rushed, never overly nor insufficiently attended to, and never waiting for a water refill. Our table was primarily attended to by Millian, who we've had previously, and who made excellent suggestions throughout the evening.

For entrees, the Garganelli and Linguini were outstanding. Notti continues to offer my favorite pasta dishes around. Does anyone still think Galileo or another longstanding DC restaurant serves better pasta than Chef Chittum's?

Nothing at all against Tony and his great cooking, but you do realize that every pasta except the tagliatelle is boxed, right? The same can be said for everything served at Osteria del Galileo, but not Galileo proper which features fresh pasta (and charges accordingly).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Nothing at all against Tony and his great cooking, but you do realize that every pasta except the tagliatelle is boxed, right? The same can be said for everything served at Osteria del Galileo, but not Galileo proper which features fresh pasta (and charges accordingly).

Cheers,

Rocks.

No one ever thought less of Raphael's* work because he didn't make his own canvas. :)

*The painter, not the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

I'm looking forward to my first NB experience tomorrow night!

Nothing at all against Tony and his great cooking, but you do realize that every pasta except the tagliatelle is boxed, right?
If I'm off base surely someone here will correct me...but doesn't dried pasta have a legitimate place in Italian cooking? Depending on the application (shape, sauce)?

If I'm off base surely someone here will correct me...but doesn't dried pasta have a legitimate place in Italian cooking? Depending on the application (shape, sauce)?

yes.

Today hand made is taking over at igh end restuarnts in Italy but not to a necessary improvement.

There are certain pasta that are best or only made by hand.

If I'm off base ...

A dangerous lead-in... :)

Cheers,

Rocks.

I really hadn't thought about it. I'm only saying that the pasta dishes he prepares are my favorite, and that I like them better than what I've had at Galileo (Osteria or not).

yes.

Today hand made is taking over at igh end restuarnts in Italy but not to a necessary improvement.

There are certain pasta that are best or only made by hand.

A dangerous lead-in... :)

Dean: how valid is the dictum that hard pastas must always be dressed with olive oil-based sauces and fresh pastas with butter or cream-based sauces? Is this always the case in Italy?

Dean: how valid is the dictum that hard pastas must always be dressed with olive oil-based sauces and fresh pastas with butter or cream-based sauces? Is this always the case in Italy?

Where did you hear that? Butter sauces are used by the folks in Northern Italy where cows and therefore butter was available. Olive oil (better :lol: to you mktye :) ) based sauces are used in the rest of the country. It has more to do with the shape of the pasta as to what type of sauce you want to use more than fresh versus dried pasta.

Butter sauces are usually used on fresh pasta. Toscana has a tradition of ravioli in sage and brown butter as does much of the north. I can think of no traditional butter sauce and pasta combination, but I am sure that there are exceptions.

However there is no dictum on olive oil sauces and and dry pasta. Pesto is used on fresh pasta traditionally. Meat sauces can be used on either.

The south being poorer actually uses more dried pasta (probably the cost/availabiulity of the eggs) and uses less butter and almost no cream. So there is a tendency to associate olive oil and dried pasta but I think this is a regiopnal preference.

What I find more problematic, is that there are places now substituting hand made trenette (very thin sliced fettucini) for linguini in saefood pasta thinking it more sophisticated. The problem is that trenette are very delicate adn a big plate of garlicky clams, calamari, shrimp etc seems to shout out for something chewy as a foil: dried pasta.