Catawba Wine

fjauss

I'm interested in making up a batch of Chatham Artillery Punch for assorted devious purposes this fall. The traditional recipe calls for Catawba wine, which while once prevalent in the United States, is not so much any more as people started liking drier wines. It would be great if I could find a local winery that made and sold Catawba wine. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, does anyone have any ideas as to what would be an appropriate substitute for catawba? Bear in mind that the the recipe calls for 3/4 of a gallon of wine, mixed with approximately 1.5 liters of assorted spirits and is topped with champagne, so I'm not looking for top shelf wine here.

Thanks!

I'm interested in making up a batch of Chatham Artillery Punch for assorted devious purposes this fall. The traditional recipe calls for Catawba wine, which while once prevalent in the United States, is not so much any more as people started liking drier wines. It would be great if I could find a local winery that made and sold Catawba wine. Does anyone have any ideas? If not, does anyone have any ideas as to what would be an appropriate substitute for catawba? Bear in mind that the the recipe calls for 3/4 of a gallon of wine, mixed with approximately 1.5 liters of assorted spirits and is topped with champagne, so I'm not looking for top shelf wine here.

Thanks!

I found some on Snooth.com . There was a ton of white Catawba and rosé Catawba, but only a handful of red Catawba.

Thanks for the recommendation about Snooth.com. I had never heard of it before. I'll add that to my bookmarks. However, after discussing it with the person who gave me the recipe, he is arguing against using catawba wine because while it is traditional, most of it is so godawful. And considering that there's not likely to be any place in the area that sells it, I'm left with trying to order something online which will be a complete shot in the dark - could be palatable, could be alcoholic welshs grape juice. He recommends using a drinkable sweet rose. Any recommendations for something decent?

Thanks for the recommendation about Snooth.com. I had never heard of it before. I'll add that to my bookmarks. However, after discussing it with the person who gave me the recipe, he is arguing against using catawba wine because while it is traditional, most of it is so godawful. And considering that there's not likely to be any place in the area that sells it, I'm left with trying to order something online which will be a complete shot in the dark - could be palatable, could be alcoholic welshs grape juice. He recommends using a drinkable sweet rose. Any recommendations for something decent?

Please don't think that this answer is flippant, but Gallo Hearty Burgundy will do just fine. They no longer bottle it in gallon jugs, but they do have 1.5 liter bottles. Since you are mixing so many other things in, the wine is less important.