Fall Picnic 2008 - Sunday, October 19th (?)

Heather

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would you mind posting the recipe?
Sure, although it's not mine. I use the one recipe that seems to be out there on the internet: link!. There are some things I've learned: the operative word is not "evaporated" but "absorbed". The amount of oil is a bit too much for me. And the sugar amount is really dependent on the squash and tomato sauce...which I read as "puree" not the USDA/tomato industry standard "tomato sauce" (which has """spices"""). Frankly, I wing the recipe now, and can usually get it how I like it.

I hope I can bring some to the picnic!

Sure, although it's not mine. I use the one recipe that seems to be out there on the internet: link!. There are some things I've learned: the operative word is not "evaporated" but "absorbed". The amount of oil is a bit too much for me. And the sugar amount is really dependent on the squash and tomato sauce...which I read as "puree" not the USDA/tomato industry standard "tomato sauce" (which has """spices"""). Frankly, I wing the recipe now, and can usually get it how I like it.

I hope I can bring some to the picnic!

Thanks for the tips - I kept encountering the same recipe everywhere, too. Wish I could be at the picnic to taste yours.

Greetings all! I'm a newbie and am hoping to make it Sunday afternoon!

Love to eat/drink/cook so am planning on making some cherry pepper poppers (stuffed with cheese only and/or cheese/prosciutto and then marinated) to satisfy both vegetarian/non-vegetarians) plus a bottle of something.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

D1 right?

On the matter of heat availability (and it IS mid-autumn after all) I'm planning to drag the camp stove out again, but not the Griddle of Doom unless someone really needs it.

Totally forgot about cooking implements. Would the camp stove be sufficient to fry up a couple pounds of bacon? Anybody else bringing something that would work?

We'll be bringing Cheeze Whiz, Triscuits and a Jello salad with eensy-bennsy marshmallows and carrot shavings in it. Maybe some Coors. If we show.

Where is this thing, anyway?

Same park as always, slightly different picnic area.

Please make sure the jello is lime flavored.

Just a note to all new posters - Everyone is always welcome, and meeting new people is what makes these events fun.

This Sunday at Noon.

Ft. Hunt Park site D-1.

http://gwhsaa.com/ft-hunt-dir.html

Link if anyone needs directions.

Just a reminder again of location - see the link posted by hm212 for information about how to get to Fort Hunt Park. It is about 6-7 miles south of Alexandria on the George Washington Parkway. We will be in Area D-1, which is almost all the way around the (one-way) loop drive that runs around the park.

It should be a beautiful fall day, so don't be shy about coming on out to join us, even if you haven't posted that you will be coming. It's always a lot of fun and you can't beat the food!

Well, the kadu is made, if a bit waterier than usual. I guess the butternut squashes today weren't as dry? fresh? who knows, as the last time I made it. But, maybe a good ride in the fridge will allow the squash to soak up some of the sauce. And if now, well, extra sweet tomato sauce!

jparrott, how did you prepare your ham?

I purchased a whole country ham from Calhoun Hams in Culpeper, soaked it for one day, and am currently smoking it on an side-firebox smoker. I loosened the skin before putting it on for ease of peeling later. I am using hickory, apple, and cherry woods. I will cook the ham to approximately 145F internal before taking it off and chilling overnight.

Sorry but I have to last minute cancel. Been sick since yesterday thought it was too early in season for flu but feels like it.

Dr wanted me to get shot this year just haven't had time yet. Let me live through everyone else so post well for everything I missed.

Oh my lord, the bacon. Homemade bacon. Two different kinds. Grilled and fried at the same time. Homemade bacon in made on the spot vanilla ice cream. Yes, the ice cream was made in front of our eyes. And did I mention the fried chicken and arguably the best greens ever? And the homemade beer. And a bite of amazing pumpkin bread, followed by a bite of bacon, washed down with the homemade beer? And roasting homemade marshmallows with a hint of bacon grease over an open flame? And the bacon?

This ranks as one of the best picnics. Ever.

Oh my lord, the bacon. Homemade bacon. Two different kinds. Grilled and fried at the same time. Homemade bacon in made on the spot vanilla ice cream. Yes, the ice cream was made in front of our eyes. And did I mention the fried chicken and arguably the best greens ever? And the homemade beer. And a bite of amazing pumpkin bread, followed by a bite of bacon, washed down with the homemade beer? And roasting homemade marshmallows with a hint of bacon grease over an open flame? And the bacon?

This ranks as one of the best picnics. Ever.

That definitely got my envious pangs going - Feeling better tonight.

This was an amazing picnic!!!!! Violet and I had so much fun.

So sorry that we ended up bringing (almost) nothing: MBK and I just could not open that last can of evaporated milk for our pie. Jlock has now opened it (using a swiss army knife, duh), and the pie is in the oven. Oops.

Jake, what punch recipe did you use? I only had a sip, but I want much more!

So sorry that we ended up bringing (almost) nothing: MBK and I just could not open that last can of evaporated milk for our pie. Jlock has now opened it (using a swiss army knife, duh), and the pie is in the oven. Oops.
The pumpkin seeds were yummy :)

Amazing to watch 20 pounds of fried chicken inhaled in a matter of minutes -but OMG was it good! Both batches of greens were delish. The kadu was very tasty - wish I'd had a few more bites, but was trying to pace myself :P Chicken ballotine was impressive to see AND taste, as were all the home-made/-cured pork products, scrumptious ribs (who made those - they were great!). Hot wings and ham, mmmmm...

Plenty of goodies to finish off with - Hello Cupcakes, brownies, peanut-butter-chocolatey goodies, rice krispy treats made from the homemade marshmallows (along with the standard kind), etc, etc.

And what a beautiful fall day - I had fun running around with my new BFF Peanut :lol: and gebaby and seeing old friends and new faces.

Thanks to Heather for getting this ball rolling and to everybody who showed up and made it such a great time!

Peanut asked if goldenticket could come home with us. Thanks again for providing such awesome onsite child care. xcanuck's bacon made me do the happy bacon dance. Great beer from ferment everything. Antonio's fried chicken was absolutely superb. Great stuff all around.

A final shout out to Sean for the football updates.

Loads of fun. My friends who didn't go, even though I said "hey, you can come along if you want", were jealous.

That fried chicken was AMAZING. Great beer from ferment everything, awesome bacon, serious crack in some kind of peanut/chocolate bar stuff...I'm just regretting having eaten Papa John's later while watching Rambo...I completely blame that for my "oof" feeling, not the incredible overeating I did at the picnic. :lol:

Thanks to Heather for getting this ball rolling and to everybody who showed up and made it such a great time!

Thanks Jackie, but all I had to do was reserve the site. :lol: The great people here did everything else.

It was good to see old friends, and meet some new ones.

Thanks Jackie, but all I had to do was reserve the site. :lol: The great people here did everything else.

Understated again. Or maybe she didn't look at the vast mountain of leftover supplies the rest of us jammed into her car before sneaking off!

Despite showing up waaaaaay too late, it was awesome to see all the folks who turned up. Naturally, I pigged out on Jake's country ham, and AGM's superb grilled sausage. And plenty of the baked goods...did goodeats make the crispies treats too? And a bit of that thick-cut bacon. Mmmmm.

Uh-hem. Ice cream. Really bloody good ice cream.
Brief clip now posted above. Babies loved it. Gebaby definitely enjoyed it, as evinced by the vanilla stains on his pants and jacket.
did goodeats make the crispies treats too?
goldenticket made the pretty batch with the candy corn on it and I made some too.

ETA: Gebaby also loved the zucchini fritters, *both* types of bacons, fried chicken (he devoured most of a drumstick & thigh), the orzo, a bite of Waitman's special and 2 yummy pumpkin muffins.

Here is the recipe for the fudge-ful peanut butter bars (the "crack" ones)...

FUDGE FILLED PEANUT BUTTER BARS

1 pkg. yellow cake mix

1/2 c. butter, melted

1 c. peanut butter

2 eggs

Mix together until holds together. Press 2/3 of it in 9x13 pan ungreased.

FILLING:

1 c. chocolate chips (6oz package)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 tbsp. butter

Melt over low heat.

Add:

Spread filling over dough. Crumble rest over the top. Bake 350, 20 to 25 minutes.