dr.com Dinner at Dino

Walrus

Come join your fellow Rockweilers at Dino on Tuesday, September 16, at 6:30 pm for a 5-course meal by Chef Dean Gold!

The cost is $55/each (prepaid), which includes small tastes, an antipasto course, pasta, entree, dolce, tax, and tip!

There are several wine options that Dino is offering:

33% off all bottles of wine -and/or-

free corkage -and/or-

$25 (prepaid) for a wine flight, including tax and tip

There are only 30 places available for this event, so sign up now! PM me with your name and the number of people in your party. I'll put you on the list and give you the PayPal payment information.

The menu will be posted closer to the event.

For more information about Dino, see http://www.dino-dc.com.

See you there!

Hi all!

So far, the official list of attendees stands at

xcanuck +1

squidsDC

dcdavidm +1

Banco

Walrus +2

If you have PMd me and don't see your name here (which remains several of you), it means you haven't paid yet! So please follow the instructions I sent you and PayPal away -- I will not be able to reserve your space if you do not pay.

There is still room left, though it is going quickly -- sign up today!

Hi all!

So far, the official list of attendees stands at

dcdavidm +1

Banco

If you have PMd me and don't see your name here (which is a bunch of you!), it means you haven't paid yet! So please follow the instructions I sent you and PayPal away -- I will not be able to reserve your space if you do not pay.

There is still room left, though it is going quickly -- sign up today!

If I'm in the country, I'd like to go but as I have no way of knowing where I'll be that far away, I'd like to be a tentative (I'm not sure how you can handle that so let me know).

Very Tentative Menu {subject to availability of produce, fish and what kind of mood I am in}

A tasting of summer tomatoes & salt

Heirloom tomato soup shooter

Caprese skewer, Panzanella, Fantasia Dell'Estate {tomato & melon salad with salami}, Crostini Toscano {chicken liver pate}

Pasta Course:

Aglione {Garlic & Heirloom tomatoes}

Salsiccia, Pomodoro & Bitter Greens

Potatoes, grilled veggies, greens

Mains

Rotisserie Pig

Fiorentina

Scallops wrapped in Pancetta

Desserts

Frutta al Forno

Sorbetto

Cookies

Vegetarians & other dietary needs folk can PM me and we can discuss your limitations and how we can work with you.

Very Tentative Menu for vegetarians {subject to availability of produce, fish and what kind of mood I am in}

Caprese skewer, Panzanella, Crostini di Verdure {probably minted squash, roasted local organic sweet peppers with tomino}

Pasta Course:

Risotto with chanterelles (if still in season)

Mains

Timballo di Verdure {portobello stack, pureed fave & pureed garlicky greens, Sicilian flavored couscous}

Desserts

Frutta al Forno

Sorbetto

Cookies

New dishes for the vegetarians

Very Tentative Menu for vegetarians {subject to availability of produce, fish and what kind of mood I am in}

Caprese skewer, Panzanella, Crostini di Verdure {probably minted squash, roasted local organic sweet peppers with tomino} Bruschetta {grilled garlic bread with chopped garlicky tomatoes}

Pasta Course:

Risotto with chanterelles (if still in season)

Mains

Melanzane alla Parmigiana - Taurino's fried eggplant, heirloom tomato, mozzarella di bufala, balsamico

Timballo di Verdure {portobello stack, pureed fave & pureed garlicky greens, Sicilian flavored couscous}

Desserts

Frutta al Forno

Sorbetto

Cookies

Hi all!

Here is the list of attendees to date:

Walrus +2

xcanuck +1

squidsDC

Merry Mary +1

dcdavidm +1

Banco

DanielK +1

DanCole +1

heather +1

MBK

As you can see, we do still have some space available for this dinner, but this is the last week to sign up, so PM me ASAP!

Ahhh...tomatoes and protein (and a few carbs). What a way to spend the evening. Dean--your ingredients were superbly fresh; the presentations were filled with powerful flavors; and your hospitality was superb. Thanks for a great evening, and thanks to Walrus for setting it up.

That was an insane amount of food for what amounted to $40 plus tax and tip. Kudos to Dean and staff for a wonderful meal, made only better by great company.

Daniel, you took the words right out of my mouth! Truly an insane amount of food for what we paid. Thanks to Dean for a great evening, and to Walrus for organizing and cheerleading to get us all excited about the event. It was a nice way to transition in to this lovely fall weather, with a farewell to summer and it's wonderful tomatoes.

Great company, as always.

Just a side note -- someone asked me at the DCCK last night if we'd taken pictures of Dino/Dean's fabulous feast, so today I went looking through my pictures to see if we had -- and all I found was a photo of an empty plate! :lol: Dean, you and your staff truly surpassed yourselves! The dishes I'm still reminiscing about are the fried eggplant (which fundamentally changed the way I think about eggplant...SO GOOD), the pork, those peaches! and plums!, the incredibly rich and flavorful risotto, and -- surprising for me, perhaps -- the potatoes that accompanied both the lovely (perfectly cooked) steak and in the veggie side plate -- you successfully walked that delicate line between crispy/dry and undercooked/flavorful to provide crispy, flavorful potatoes. Yes, I think about potatoes a lot -- your point? ;) This is, of course, not to in any way diminish how good all your tomatoes were -- the different salts were highly entertaining to try (the black one turned out to be the favorite at our table), and that chilled tomato soup with the two types of tomatoes...yum. A MOST successful dinner on all accounts!