Partida Agave Nectar

Joe Riley

This is some of the coolest stuff ever, and here's a nice mention of it in the New York Post (.pdf format, might need to right-click, save link as)

Some more info about it here: Partida Agave Nectar

Sweeter than sugar but with fewer calories? Sounds good to me.

I understand that, for use in cocktails, you cut this nectar with equal amounts of water, as it's very thick.

You can get the same stuff (different brands) at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I use it for all sorts of sweetening, when I want something that will dissolve easily but not change the flavor like honey can. It has similar viscosity to honey.

You mean this stuff does not have its own distinct flavor? I've tried Stevia, and am not a fan. Have you found any food(s) in particular that it works best as a sweetener in, and is there a preference for any brand (or do they all taste the same?) I'm very interested by the low glycemic factor, with a MIL and SIL both diagnosed Type 2.

I've used various brands of agave nectar in cocktails and it's very interesting. It lends a deeper flavor - think demerara sugar syrup or cane syrup - than sugar. Joe's correct in that it is some thick stuff. I've never thinned it out with water, tending to use less volume instead.

I've used various brands of agave nectar in cocktails and it's very interesting. It lends a deeper flavor - think demerara sugar syrup or cane syrup - than sugar. Joe's correct in that it is some thick stuff. I've never thinned it out with water, tending to use less volume instead.

I saw Agave Syrup in the Harris Teeter by me (on US 1 and S Glebe Rd), I'm assuming that's the same thing?

I saw Agave Syrup in the Harris Teeter by me (on US 1 and S Glebe Rd), I'm assuming that's the same thing?

Agave Syrup and Agave Nectar are the same thing. It's also sold in a number of health food stores as it's minimally processed. I think my bottles saw they are processed at less than 114 degrees so I think the people following the raw food diets can use it.

Looks pretty interesting. Have you tried it personally? (I just ordered a bottle regardless--my curiousity got the best of me.)

Yes, I had it in an amazing cocktail called a White Ruby, which was prepared for me by the outrageously-talented mixologist, Elba Giron:

Partida Reposado Tequila

Partida Agave Nectar

St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur

Lillet Blanc

Martini & Rossi Bianco Vermouth

Fresh Ruby Red Grapefruit juice

Egg whites

Orange bitters*

This was an outstanding cocktail, I enjoyed it immensely.

Yes, I'm now stocking this Agave Nectar for sale in 11.6 oz. bottles :lol:

(*not certain which one, either The Bitter Truth or Fee Brothers, I'm almost certain)

I was at the Foggy Bottom Trader Joe's on Monday, and there was no agave nectar on the shelf. I was told that it was coming in that night. I happened to be in the nabe this morning, and stopped in to find a product with a lighter color and a different label on the shelf than the product I had been buying from TJ's for a while. Each of the bottles had bubbles at the top of the liquid. I discussed this with the manager, who agreed that it was a different product, but seemed clueless at my suggestion that the bubbles should not be there and were an implication that there was fermentation going on in the bottle. Several clerks joined in the discussion. Finally one of the bottles was opened and sniffed, and there was indeed the unmistakable aroma of fermentation. This new product has a pale blue label and says "light" agave sweetener. The previous product has an olive green and black pattern around the outside of the label, which says "Organic Blue Agave Sweetener" in dark letters on a light background. Caveat emptor!

I was at the Foggy Bottom Trader Joe's on Monday, and there was no agave nectar on the shelf. I was told that it was coming in that night. I happened to be in the nabe this morning, and stopped in to find a product with a lighter color and a different label on the shelf than the product I had been buying from TJ's for a while. Each of the bottles had bubbles at the top of the liquid. I discussed this with the manager, who agreed that it was a different product, but seemed clueless at my suggestion that the bubbles should not be there and were an implication that there was fermentation going on in the bottle. Several clerks joined in the discussion. Finally one of the bottles was opened and sniffed, and there was indeed the unmistakable aroma of fermentation. This new product has a pale blue label and says "light" agave sweetener. The previous product has an olive green and black pattern around the outside of the label, which says "Organic Blue Agave Sweetener" in dark letters on a light background. Caveat emptor!
HAHA.... they're just finding a way to sell a special version of tequila =D

I understand that, for use in cocktails, you cut this nectar with equal amounts of water, as it's very thick.
This was some tasty stuff! When I tried it for the first time, my mind wanted it to taste like honey because of its similarity in looks (syrupy, golden, etc..) but it tasted more like a simple syrup. No aftertaste at all and has worked well in mixed drinks, iced tea (no undissolved crystals at the bottom of the glass) and as the sweetening ingredient in a batch of applesauce. I may be swapping this for sugar in my home pretty often.

*I bought it online from the Partida Tequila store for $3.00 and they threw in a 2nd bottle for free. I still had to pay shipping, which I believe was around $9.00.