Passion for Pickles

Waitman

What a great story, Heather! Congratulations.

Monavano, I purchase boxes of just-lids at my local supermarket every year. I do keep a couple of old lids for times when I do non-canned things with Ball jars--I like to make vinaigrettes in them--but I always, always use new ones for any form of food preservation. The lids come in a small box of 10 or 12 and are right near the other canning supplies. You can also buy boxes of lids-and-rings if you need new rings for some reason.

I thought about posting a smart ass question, but it appears a board member beat me to the punch. :lol:

I tried finding the book you mentioned (Ball Blue Book of Preserving) but it appears to be out of print. I'll give The Joy of Pickling a shot. And maybe I should also keep your number on speed dial.

Thanks xcanuck. :lol: My favorite unpublished question:

Brokedown Palace, DC: For Ms. Shorter

As a frustrated housewife, do you make your pickles while both barefoot AND pregnant?

Heather Shorter: I think I know who this is...yes to barefoot. When I was pregnant I merely consumed them, preferably with ice cream.

Thanks xcanuck. ;) My favorite unpublished question:

Brokedown Palace, DC: For Ms. Shorter

As a frustrated housewife, do you make your pickles while both barefoot AND pregnant?

Heather Shorter: I think I know who this is...yes to barefoot. When I was pregnant I merely consumed them, preferably with ice cream.

Don't let those wankers with their jealous comments get to you. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE'S BAREFOOT..............IN A KITCHEN.......SOMEONE CALL THE CLOG POLICE!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Sometimes when folks don't have anything nice to say, they type. The article was well written, and an interesting local piece.

This was a friend, although I am sure he will deny deny deny. :lol:

Dr. Rockwell's erudite question was entertaining too, if you enjoy the Diet of Worms.

You were seeing things. "Dr. Don Rockville, MD" might be my chiropractor.

Then again, he might not.

Don't let those wankers with their jealous comments get to you. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE'S BAREFOOT..............IN A KITCHEN.......SOMEONE CALL THE CLOG POLICE!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
I assumed that was a joking reference to the comments on the Post site. Someone who created the name hausfrau something had made a post calling Heather a frustrated housewife.

Has anyone ever in the history of humankind died because they ate pickles that were canned by someone without shoes on? Just curious, I would love to see some statistics on that.

I make jam and because we are a no outside shoes inside kind of household, I jam barefoot. I have been known to jam while barefoot and pregnant. I have a bushel of peaches waiting to be canned and guess what? I'll probably do that barefoot too. Fortunately for my friends and family, I have the whole opposable thumb thing going and don't actually involve my feet in the canning process.

Congrats on the great article, Heather.

Heather,

Congratulations on the great press! Now that I know what you look like, I will say hi next time I see you. (I saw you at Vidalia last week, but didn't know who you were.)

I so very much want to try your recipes, and I, too, cook barefoot, but I will exercise caution with glass and boiling water.

You go, Girl!