Who has the best sweetbreads in DC (or just really, really good sweetbreads, let's not get all list-y)?

And not as course 8 on a 23-course culinary voyage. Some good honest heart-choking lobes from a reasonably-priced (for the kind of place that has sweetbreads) joint -- your La Chaumieres and Bibianas.

Thanks.

Who has the best sweetbreads in DC (or just really, really good sweetbreads, let's not get all list-y)?

And not as course 8 on a 23-course culinary voyage. Some good honest heart-choking lobes from a reasonably-priced (for the kind of place that has sweetbreads) joint -- your La Chaumieres and Bibianas.

Thanks.

You already know about Marcel's, and the previous post about Bar Pilar is probably correct (Justin, are you there?)

Cedric Maupillier retweeted this last month about Mintwood Place.

I checked Bistro La Bonne (which you need to try for their Navarin d'Agneau), and didn't see anything on the online menu.

Also, I remember these at Maple Avenue Restaurant.

I love the hay-smoked sweetbreads at Bibiana. I order them almost every time I eat there. They're always hay-smoked, but the accompaniments on the plate change with the seasons.

I've also had good sweetbreads at Restaurant Eve as part of the Lickety-Split menu in the bar, but I don't think they offer them regularly--maybe someone else knows.

Had them at Volt recently, perhaps my favorite preparation of them. The crispiness was next level. Of course they cheated and presumably cooked them in bacon fat.

I like to make them as well, not as hard as you might think. Braised, then grilled, with chimichurri.

I'll second the recommendation of Restaurant Eve, I poached some off of my lunch companion's plate (I think I got the bouillabaisse, because I wasn't brave enough to just get the sweetbreads), & they were delicious.

My MIL had sweetbreads at the Eve Bistro when in town on a visit. It wasn't very recently but she was impressed with them.

Can you even buy sweetbreads in a grocery store? I know butcher shops basically don't exist anymore. I'm pretty sure a non industry person could attempt to buy them from maybe an Amish farm, does Bev sell them Sundays? Sorry to rant but this thread made me wonder if they are available retail. We get them from marcho farms through fells point. And even for us they can have spotty availability

Can you even buy sweetbreads in a grocery store? I know butcher shops basically don't exist anymore. I'm pretty sure a non industry person could attempt to buy them from maybe an Amish farm, does Bev sell them Sundays? Sorry to rant but this thread made me wonder if they are available retail. We get them from marcho farms through fells point. And even for us they can have spotty availability

I've found them occasionally (maybe seasonally) at Wegmans in Fairfax.