Indian Grocery Stores

porcupine

Does anyone know of a decent Indian Grocery Store in Northern Virginia? The one in Balston I once frequented was torn down to make room some very ugly condos.

So Indian Spice and Appliances never reopened :P I use to love shopping there, esp. the homemade samosas, snacks, and breads that they kept up front. Anyone know if they relocated?

So Indian Spice and Appliances never reopened :P I use to love shopping there, esp. the homemade samosas, snacks, and breads that they kept up front. Anyone know if they relocated?

I could not remember the name to save my life, I found an address for them at 1065 W Broad St in Falls Church. I may have to check to see if it is really there.

Does anyone know of a decent Indian Grocery Store in Northern Virginia? The one in Balston I once frequented was torn down to make room some very ugly condos.

And if anyone knows of one that might have fresh Fenugreek leaves I would be quite thankful.

There is an Indian grocery store right next to my shop (we even share a door). Not sure about the fenugreek seeds. It is at 4815 Lee Highway (between Glebe and George Mason).

There is an Indian grocery store right next to my shop (we even share a door). Not sure about the fenugreek seeds. It is at 4815 Lee Highway (between Glebe and George Mason).
Fenugreek seeds are so basic that even the Indian section at our local Giant has them. I'm sure your Indian store will carry them. Sometimes they're labelled as "methi".

Can anyone recommend any Indian grocery stores within the Rockville/Gaithersburg area? I'm looking for some specific things: white poppy seeds, ajwain seeds, mango powder, powdered tamarind, black cumin seeds... Thanks.

It's easier, I think, to find India groceries in Virginia. But here's some I like in Maryland:

Dana Bazaar, 1701 Rockville Pike, 301 231 7546, and 12829 Wisteria Drive, Germantown, sells fresh fruit and vegetables, and staple groceries from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Spice Lanka in Derwood is Sri Lankan and run by a really helpful owner. He's got unusual spices at reasonable prices. http://www.eatwashington.com/article/spice...vorite_markets/

Just checked. The store next to me does carry fenugreek leaves, though the current supply looks a little past its prime (kind of wilted). They do carry the dried as well.

Thank you for checking, I will put this on my list of places to visit this weekend. I appreciate your help.

And if anyone knows of one that might have fresh Fenugreek leaves I would be quite thankful.

There's a place like that in Vienna, on the left-hand side of 123 as you are coming into downtown Vienna from Tyson's. Can't recall the name off-hand.

Fresh Leaves, not seeds

Grand Mart at LRT and 395 has these fairly often. Fresh curry leaves too. Depending on where you want to drive, there is an Indian food store on Backlick Road near Old Keene Mill, and another by the Harris Teeter in Annandale on Columbia Pike. I haven't been to either in a while.

Whatcha making? Aloo methi?

Edited to add this link to Indian Groceries in Virginia: Click.

I hit the Patel Brothers in Hyattsville, MD (University Ave Near Riggs). Bare bones operation, but they have just about everything you could want for cooking Indian. Had a small produce section and several trays of samosa for sale at the cash register.

A small Indian/Pakistani grocery (not clear from the sign) opened across from the Brookville Shopping Center on Backlick Rd in Springfield. A quick glance showed a pretty decent stock of products (I didn't get a chance to do more than get a hurried peek,).

A small Indian/Pakistani grocery (not clear from the sign) opened across from the Brookville Shopping Center on Backlick Rd in Springfield. A quick glance showed a pretty decent stock of products (I didn't get a chance to do more than get a hurried peek,).

Where is Brookville Shopping Center? Not familiar with it, can't find it on Google . . . .

Could you mean Brookfield? Lots of interesting places in there . . . .

Surprisingly, for a hideous suburban strip mall infested area, Springfield has a wealth of ethnic markets and restaurants. As does Annandale, which I am convinced is just Springfield with a snootier name.

for the poster looking for places in NoVa, i like the one on little river turnpike, opposite grand mart. the name is Ginger ____ something, and as a bonus it's right next to IndAroma, so you can pick up a yummy snack after you shop. the address is 6548 little river turnpike. They have a good selection of prepared and frozen food and spices, and they don't have that many fresh vegetables, but grand mart is right across the street.

Where is Brookville Shopping Center? Not familiar with it, can't find it on Google . . . .

Could you mean Brookfield? Lots of interesting places in there . . . .

Surprisingly, for a hideous suburban strip mall infested area, Springfield has a wealth of ethnic markets and restaurants. As does Annandale, which I am convinced is just Springfield with a snootier name.

Yes, it is Brookfield Plaza. There is a small grocery store called Eastern World Market.

Just went for the second time yesterday to Guru Groceries and Chaat House in Bethesda on 7817 Old Georgetown Road. It is a small, but very well stocked Indian grocery that has every type of spice, spice mix, rice, lentil, grain, etc. that you could need for Indian cooking. The couple who run it are very friendly and happy to help you find anything you need. They also sell great vegetarian samosas and will make you chaats from a short list. Make sure to head to the back where you can find produce, fresh curry leaves, homemade tamarind and coconut chutney among other goodies. This type i checked out the freezer cases in the back and have really been enjoying some of the frozen Indian kulcha breads (they have a variety of roti, kulchas, parathas, etc.) I also saw they had frozen some common prepared Indian dishes if you don't feel like cooking. I highly recommend checking it out if only for good samosas and mango lassi but also for good prices on spices and other harder to find Indian ingredients (see curry leaves above and asafetida/hing).  Once I got home, I used some of my super fresh okra to make bhindi masala.

While the store is somewhat new to me, my Indian friends have been going since the location opened several years ago, and apparently they were in Rockville for almost a decade before that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1