2007 Quinta Do Vallado

Joe H

Below are the comments from the Wine Spectator about the 93 point 2007 Quinta Do Vallado from Portugal. I just bought a bottle of this from the Costco in Marina Del Rey, CA for $14.99. It is, simply, an unbelievably powerful, full bodied, mouth coating, jammy almost port of a wine! From time to time on here I've posted about values that I've found, some with seemingly unbounded hyperbole! I really don't think I can find hyperbole to describe this value (although I will try!). On top of this the Wine Spectator gives their '97 Reserve 96 points-I bought two cases of this from the Chicago Wine Company as a future back in January for $37. Now it's $65-70 or so for a best price-if you can find it. I note this because I opened a bottle of the Reserve when I took delivery a month ago. The "non reserve," the $14.99 Costco wine, I swear is as good.

WineZap shows this as a $20+ wine everywhere, even up to $30 or so. Anyone who wanders into a Costco and sees this should buy every bottle they have at $14.99.

I am now going to pour another glass... And am jealous of anyone in the Marina Del Rey area where there are five or six cases of this available!

QUINTA DO VALLADO

Douro 2007

Score: 93

Release Price: $19

Region: Portugal

Issue: Feb 28, 2010

This powerful and refined red delivers concentrated flavors of plum, dried cherry and spice. Offers a fine texture, with plenty of savory herbal notes, followed by a long, olive- and smoke-filled finish. Drink now through 2015. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 15,833 cases made. KM

I second Joe's recommendation. Quinta do Vallado is terrific. I wrote it up last year, when the 06 was in the market, having tasted the 07 at Vinexpo. It is distributed here, but somewhat more expensive and probably hard to find. And definitely worth the hunt!

Dave, now I wish I had waited a few days before my post above. I just opened one of the bottles that I carried back and it is every bit as good as what I had several nights ago in California. Tomorrow morning I'll be in Costco trying to find if there's one within several hundred miles of here that carries this. Some Costcos will ship in wine from other stores if you commit to buying enough and it is worth their while to do it. This is such a value that I can commit to quite a lot!

A point here: there are some wines that Costco sell which are3 10 or 15% below retail. There are others that are real values. This is one.

Updated on Tuesday evening, 6/28: there is not a Costco east of the Mississippi that has this in stock. I checked today. Not a single one. HOWEVER, the Wegman's near Dulles had a half dozen bottles left @4:30 for $23.99. I really like this wine, even @ $23.99. Still, there is a price point that makes the value and taste relevant. @$14.99 it is worth the incredible hassle of trying to find it. @$23.99 it is worth trying it to find out what this is all about. But the first is buying every bottle you can find @ $14.99; the second is buying a lot just not everything on the shelf.

Costco...if you can find it.

Dave, now I wish I had waited a few days before my post above. I just opened one of the bottles that I carried back and it is every bit as good as what I had several nights ago in California. Tomorrow morning I'll be in Costco trying to find if there's one within several hundred miles of here that carries this. Some Costcos will ship in wine from other stores if you commit to buying enough and it is worth their while to do it. This is such a value that I can commit to quite a lot!

A point here: there are some wines that Costco sell which are3 10 or 15% below retail. There are others that are real values. This is one.

The local distributor informs me they are almost out of the 07, ready to transition to the 08. I haven't tasted the new one.