Great Beer Bars Around the World

ManekiNeko

I had the good fortune to be sent to San Francisco on business during Toronado's barleywine festival (Toronado's is a beer bar in SF that outdoes BP, IMHO). While I'm still on the fence as to whether or not a barleywine festival is the best idea in the world, I've have enjoyed some pretty fantastic beers from breweries I've never heard of. Sometimes the names were better than the beers, but they were all pretty solid nonetheless.

Highlights:

Magnolia's Old Thunderpussy 2006

Snake River's Devil's Teat

Kona's Old Blowhole 2006

Glacier Brewhouse's Big Woody 2007

Alesmith's Old Numbskull

(above 5 chosen for entirely salacious reasons)

Russian River's Old Gubbillygotch 2006

Lost Abbey's Angel's Share (not a barleywine, but a very thick and delicious Belgian Quadrupel)

Cucupa's Barley Wine (best dang Mexican beer I ever had)

Uinta's Anniversary 2004 (I thought barleywine was illegal in Utah)

If in Toronado, make sure you go next door to enjoy the delicious sausages. Do strike up conversations with the locals sitting next to you, too.

(Toronado's is a beer bar in SF that outdoes BP, IMHO)

The Toronado outdoes most beer bars in this country, imho, especially in the ambience/character area. Possible exceptions for O'Briens in San Diego, Horse Brass in Portland OR, and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting. When we were there, a lady came around with a Tamale cart at like 1am. Perfect drunk food. I'm quite jealous that you were there for that festival, although I'll agree I have some reservations about a festival where the beers average over 10%. I've been meaning to get to the Alaskan barleywine festival for a few years now, but add that reservation about drinking barleywines all day and then trying to find your hotel in the bitter cold. One of these days...

The Toronado outdoes most beer bars in this country, imho, especially in the ambience/character area. Possible exceptions for O'Briens in San Diego, Horse Brass in Portland OR, and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting.

I've spent many a night at the Horse Brass, but I've got to say that Monk's in Philly is hands down the best bar I've ever had the privilege to set foot in.