Powdered Coconut

mktye

Yet again, I am in search of coconut. This time I'm looking for powdered coconut to use in Haresa (Jordanian semolina cake). Yes, it can be ordered from King Arthur Flour (and probably other places online), but I don't currently have enough for the cakes I need to bake by next Wednesday. Has anyone seen any for sale around Alexandria/Arlington/Falls Church?

(There is a place called Madina Market in Woodbridge that carries it, but I'd rather not drive that far if at all possible.)

I've purchased powdered coconut cream at Grand Mart in Seven Corners. Is this the same thing you're looking for? It's in the same aisle as the tamarind soup powder and char siu seasoning packets. It comes in a packet.

I have found powdered coconut at Shoppers Food Warehouse at Seven Corners, which is a stone's throw from Grand Mart. They have re-organized the store, so I am not sure exactly where the powdered coconut is now, but in the past, it was in the Latin/Asian section. It comes in 1 lb clear plastic bags with black print. They don't always have it, so it's good to know that Grand Mart has it also.

I just re-read the posts a little more closely. The powdered coconut that I described is like the texture of almond flour. not powdered coconut cream, as V.H. described. It's basically finely ground unsweetened coconut and is excellent for baking -- I use it to make coconut dacquoise and in cookies.

Just returned from the Seven Corners Grand Mart. I decided to look in the middle eastern foodstuff aisle first and what did I find? Bags of unsweetened, shredded, dried coconut with english labels plastered on the front that read: Powdered Coconut :(

Thanks again to V.H. for pointing me toward Grand Mart and to Saycheese for making me think twice about what I really wanted to buy.

I for one am immensely disappointed that you're not powdering your own coconuts! After the acorn experiment I would expect everything from scratch! :(
The last time I dealt with fresh coconut, I nearly stuck a paring knife all the way through my hand. Now I want one of those bench-mounted coconut shredder contraptions (of course, rwtye will have to make the bench part out of cherry).

But if it makes you feel any better, I do plan on throwing that shredded coconut into the ol' food processor and turning into more of a powder. :(