LongbOard wine dinner at the Press Club

Skipper10

Now with pictures

I guess I am following in the footsteps of someone called Anita of Greglist, posting about Washington's "best kept secret": Wine dinner at the Press Club's Fourth Estate restaurant, now open to public. These monthly dinners are usually built around a chef or a book, Jacques Pepin, Anthony Bourdain, among others, cooked there, Eric Rippert cancelled in the last minute, possibly because at just that time he had a sudden change of chefs in his Washington DC restaurant, James Oseland was there in May.

http://www.gregslistdc.com/spotlight/2009/...9s-wine-dinners

Her description is quite accurate, I've been to three of the five wine dinners this year, club's consummate sommelier is generous with wine, food has always been very very good, but there is a new chef in the kitchen now... The price is rather low for the quantity and quality." ($70 for members and their guests, and $93 for non-members. Price includes tax, tips and parking if you park at the designated garage. )

June 22 dinner was built "the other way around," wine, made by LongbOard vineyards, was chosen first, menu had to go with the wines.

(I took pictures of all of the dishes, but being a computer incompetent I am unable to post them. For some reason the UPLOAD function refuses to do its thing. Sorrrrry. )

Hors D’Oeuvres:

2007 Sauvignon Blanc, ($19.99/$16.99)very light and refreshing, and keeps saying:"have another sip, have another sip.

Salmon Tartar on Belgian Endive

Watermelon Cubes with Aged Balsamic Vinegar Amazing little morsels, I kept wondering how long it took them to carve each cube and how did they fill those tiny little holes with Balsamic without spilling dark vinegar all over the cube.

post-5402-1245867394_thumb.jpg

Crab Croquette with Smoked Paprika aioli Amuse I asked the waiter if this was Velveeta cheese sauce, a few minutes later the chef came out of the kitchen, he was not amused...

post-5402-1245867425_thumb.jpg

Warm Pea Soup with Lingonberry. The soup was a bit too rich with cream for my taste, but the freshness of the peas that tasted as if they have just been harvested was delightful.

post-5402-1245867451_thumb.jpg

First course:

2007 Pinot Noir Russian River ($32.99/$27.99) I am not a big Pinot drinker, but this wine was so smooth I had my glass refilled. I liked scallops too, although I never choose them unless I am somewhere by the sea. Would have never thought that practically raw, rather spicy scallops would go so well with red wine.

Marinated Scallop and Asparagus Salad [Very young asparagus was sliced paper thin, but tasted good even though it was completely raw.[/i]

post-5402-1245867486_thumb.jpg

Second course

2005 Syrah, Russian River($25.99 sale $21.99)

Duck Confit with Sweet Corn Timbale and Caramelized Onion I love duck confit, I make duck confit every fall, yet I have never had it so juicy. I could have eaten two legs right then there. Timbale was a bit "too wet" for me, I would have wanted a bit more body in it, if you know what I mean, but it blended well with caramelized onions that were pulverized in FP. I never had caramelized onions presented that way.

post-5402-1245867525_thumb.jpg

Third course:

2005 Cabernet Sauvignon, Redgrav Vineyard, Alexander Valley $49.00/41.50) This is my wine to die for. I love good Cabernet and this one was so much better than I normally drink.

Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Asiago Creamy Mashed Potatoes My chicken breast was a bit on the dry side, but prosciutto wrapping was out of this world.

Fourth course

Syrah, Dakine Vineyard $49.00/$41.50)

Australian Rack of Lamb with Bordelaise Sauce and Parsnip Puree The sauce makes lamb looks raw in my picture, it was not, it was perfectly rare, just the way I like it.

The parsnip puree was a bit out of season, no?

post-5402-1245867562_thumb.jpg

Dessert

2007 Late Harvest Semillon

Almond-Orange Tuille with Mascarpone, Raspberries and Caramelized Ginger

post-5402-1245867591_thumb.jpg

We were told urbi et orbi that wine is available at Bell Liquors on M Street. If you mention the NPC wine dinner you get the sale price, second listed.

post-5402-1245867635_thumb.jpg

Tom Clare, the surfer winemaker, explained each and every wine during the dinner. If you want to know what surfing has to do with wine, go to:

http://longboardvineyards.com/

post-5402-1245867659_thumb.jpg

skipper

PS:yes, there is a dress code: "elegant casual " at the Fourth Estate and "business casual" at the Reliable Source Bar and Grill.

PPS: In my next life I want a part of Rock's computer skills.

I have finally figured out how to add pictures, so now you can see what I am talking about in my previous post. Actually posting pictures on DR is much easier and faster than on other boards I've been too even for computer incompetents like myself. Skipper