Monica Bhide at the National Press Club Book Fair + trip to VA wine country

Skipper10

The following announcement arrived in my mail box this morning:

Cookbook Authors Added to Nov. 17 Book Fair

Bestselling cookbook authors, including Top Chef’s Carla Hall and Spike Mendelsohn, will join 75 nationally known writers autographing and selling their books at the Book Fair & Authors' Night from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 17.

Admission to the 32nd annual fair is free for NPC members, $5 for non-members. Proceeds benefit the programs and operations of the NPC's Eric Friedheim National Journalism Library.

No outside books permitted. Check back later for a full list of participants.

Nancy Baggett – "K neadlessly Simply: Fabulous, Fuss-free, No-knead Breads" - $24.95

For years, home cooks have shied away from baking their own bread, intimidated by the mess and all the required kneading. With Baggett's new “ Kneadlessly Simple” method, complete novices can bake bread quickly and easily. Baggett is a baking expert, food journalist and bestselling cookbook author whose 13 titles include the IACP Award–winning “International Chocolate Cookbook.” She contributes to Eating Well, the Washington Post and is an occasional commentator for NPR's “Weekend All Things Considered.”

Monica Bhide – "Modern Spice: Inspired Indian Flavors for the Contemporary Kitchen" $25.00

Born in New Delhi, raised in the Middle East and living in Washington, D.C., Bhide is the perfect representative of the new generation of Indian American cooks who have updated traditional dishes, painstakingly prepared by their Indian mothers and grandmothers, for modern American lifestyles and tastes. Bhide is an engineer-turned-writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, Food & Wine, Bon Appétit, and Town & Country. She has published two previous Indian cookbooks.

Carla Hall & Spike Mendelsohn – "Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook" $29.95

Drawing from all five seasons of the popular show, “ Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook” features 75 of the best recipes culled from the Top Chef Quickfire Challenges, including Pizza alla Greek and Bittersweet Chocolate Cake. This book spills over with sidebar material, including tips for home chefs, interviews with contestants and ingredients.

Barbara Smith – “B. Smith Cooks Southern-Style” $35.00

From Cajun to Creole to Soul Food and beyond, Smith offers 200 recipes and tales from her career as a fashion model. The first African American featured on the cover of Mademoiselle magazine, Smith is the host of a syndicated television show, owns three restaurants and created her own furniture line and lifestyle products

PS: I will post a full list of participants when it is available and if there is any interest .

Also there is a trip to VA vine country this SATURDAY, October 3. There are seven seats still available. The "one member one guest" rule has been dropped for this trip so I can bring several guests. Please PM me if you are interested. Here are the details you need to know:

--Meet the chartered bus (a white 24-passenger bus) outside the National Press Club building at the F Street entrance at 10:00 a.m. (not the main entrance on 14th Street.) *

--You are going to Tarara, Willowcroft, and Casanel wineries (in that order), all of which in Loudoun County. Tarara is providing us with a free tasting. Both Willowcroft and Casanel charge $10/person for tastings.

--Bring a bag lunch. The best place to eat lunch is Willowcroft, the second winery of the day, which has a picnic area with spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

--A tip for the driver is optional.

--Cost of the trip is $28/person cost of the trip.

--Lastly, if any of you bring a camera would like to send me your best photo with a caption, please do! Sylvia likes to put little event summaries in the Wire.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Skipper