Capital Beer & Wine Bethesda

JMac

Capital Beer & Wine 7903 Norfolk Ave., Bethesda is now open. It's across from Rock Bottom Brewery and a short walk to the Bethesda Metro station.

I am managing the store and I chose the inventory. We opened a week ago so things have been a little hectic with huge deliveries, getting things into the computer etc. I think I have most of the kinks worked out so I am starting to do some marketing.

In a nutshell, the focus is on craft beer and boutique wines. I also have the national brands sprinkled in as well. Just about every wine region is represented. The products will be regularly rotated and the prices range from $8.99 to $200.00+ per bottle. Most things retail between $12.00 and $22.00 but I have a display in front of twelve bottles under $12.00.

I am working with trusted importers such as Simon N Cellars, Siema, Bacchus, Dionysus, Winebow, Kacher and others. I have about 180 wines in stock with room for perhaps 30 more. I have about 80 beers in stock with room for another 40 or so.

Please stop by.

Just a note to let everyone know we are doing weekly tastings. We have been doing them on Fridays but will switch to Thursdays and/or Saturdays in the Fall. I don't want to post too many commercials here at DR so if you could look at our Twitter feed @capitalbeerwine, or the tasting schedule on our web page that would be great.

Tasting today 8/19/11 -

5:00PM to 8:00PM

The theme is unusual America Whites

Shindig Finger Lakes, NY a blend of 90% Vidal Blanc and 10% Riesling

Sawtooth Winery - Idaho Gewurztraminer

Arizona Stronghold "Tazi", Cochise County, Arizona 38% Malvasia, 21% Sauvignon Blanc, 19% Riesling,15% Pinot Gris, 7% Chardonnay

We continue to do Thursday wine tastings at the store 5:30PM to 7:30PM.

I am really looking forward to showcasing some wines from the Republic of Georgia brought to us by Georgian Wine House on 1/26/12. Georgia is perhaps the home of commercial wine production - they have been cultivating vitis vinefera vines and making wine there for over 7,000 years. Most of their production used to be sold to Russia. However, the Russians embargoed Georgian wines in 2006 claiming that they were contaminated. It is more likely that the embargo was politically motivated. Fortunately for American wine consumers, Georgian wine producers are now working hard to sell their wonderful products in the U.S.

Please stop by this Thursday and every Thursday.