Northstar Merlot 2007 - 94 points WS, $24.99 Costco

Joe H

I bought out Sterling today. I am told that only one other Northern VA Costco has any and I'll be there first thing in the morning. 400 cases total. Still, I am also told that more is coming. We opened it tonight: drinks like every cent of a $50 wine. Absolutely remarkable bargain. There aren't a lot of 94 point $50 wines that come around at half price. Especially that live up to the rating! From the WS:

NORTHSTAR

Merlot Walla Walla Valley 2007

Score: 94

Release Price: $50

Region: Washington

Issue: Dec 15, 2010

Ripe and evocative, weaving cardamom, red chili and dark chocolate overtones into the black currant fruit, lingering on the expressive finish against refined tannins. Best from 2012 through 2017. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 400 cases made. –HS

Pentagon City has a lot of Northstar. Unfortunately it is the wrong year: 2006. Not a single bottle of the '07. Sterling is sold out. Chantilly, Leesburg, Fairfax and most others never got it. FWIW be on the lookout for '07 Northstar Merlot. A fantastic bottle of wine at Costco's price.

Pentagon City has a lot of Northstar. Unfortunately it is the wrong year: 2006. Not a single bottle of the '07. Sterling is sold out. Chantilly, Leesburg, Fairfax and most others never got it. FWIW be on the lookout for '07 Northstar Merlot. A fantastic bottle of wine at Costco's price.

Costco Springfield has it. Got 6 bottles

Thanks, Jim.

Howdy, well I didn't realize how lucky we are in the Seattle, WA area as our local Costcos have a relatively large and varied stock of Eastern Wa wines. I had no idea the 2007 Northstar merlot was so popular back East and noticed my local Costco just got in about two cases or so....guess I will have to buy a few more before they're gone....

Howdy, well I didn't realize how lucky we are in the Seattle, WA area as our local Costcos have a relatively large and varied stock of Eastern Wa wines. I had no idea the 2007 Northstar merlot was so popular back East and noticed my local Costco just got in about two cases or so....guess I will have to buy a few more before they're gone....

Robertg7, I believe you live in one of the most exciting places on earth for someone who is into wine. (And for those who are not into wine, too!) Costco helps us all with introducing very good cab/merlot/pinot at an extremely reasonable (i.e. highly discounted) price. Their local price points on some wines are excellent. Perhaps I am spoiled but $25 for Northstar seems like a steal! (Of course the Wegmans in Sterling had '07 Northstar merlot for $19.99 today.....!) As I type this I believe that a number of people in the D. C. area have some very good wine available to them at a more than reasonable price.

Robertg7, I believe you live in one of the most exciting places on earth for someone who is into wine. (And for those who are not into wine, too!) Costco helps us all with introducing very good cab/merlot/pinot at an extremely reasonable (i.e. highly discounted) price. Their local price points on some wines are excellent. Perhaps I am spoiled but $25 for Northstar seems like a steal! (Of course the Wegmans in Sterling had '07 Northstar merlot for $19.99 today.....!) As I type this I believe that a number of people in the D. C. area have some very good wine available to them at a more than reasonable price.

Joe H, yes we consider ourselves extremely lucky (despite the rain) to live where we do. Wow!...$19.99 is an amazing price. Unbelievable that Northstar is located just "over the hills" from us around Walla Walla and you can get it for less across the country. Actually, opened a 2005 Northstar merlot last weekend, let it decant for about 45 mins, and my wife and I finished it in about two hours; it was delicious. We are supposed to drive over to Lake Chelan this weekend to check out another winery we've been hearing a lot about lately called Nefarious Cellars (and a few others I'm certain) so will post how that goes....will undoubtedly hit the local Costco in Wenatchee as they usually have a good selection of Walla Walla wines.

p.s. once I retire this summer we are supposed to lead a "pilgrimage" to the mecca of Walla Walla which is about a 6-7 hour drive from Seattle.

Joe H, yes we consider ourselves extremely lucky (despite the rain) to live where we do. Wow!...$19.99 is an amazing price. Unbelievable that Northstar is located just "over the hills" from us around Walla Walla and you can get it for less across the country. Actually, opened a 2005 Northstar merlot last weekend, let it decant for about 45 mins, and my wife and I finished it in about two hours; it was delicious. We are supposed to drive over to Lake Chelan this weekend to check out another winery we've been hearing a lot about lately called Nefarious Cellars (and a few others I'm certain) so will post how that goes....will undoubtedly hit the local Costco in Wenatchee as they usually have a good selection of Walla Walla wines.

p.s. once I retire this summer we are supposed to lead a "pilgrimage" to the mecca of Walla Walla which is about a 6-7 hour drive from Seattle.

I've been on Leonetti's mailing list since the early '90's and about eleven or twelve years ago we visited them in Walla Walla on their release day. Same day we were at Woodward Canyon and L'ecole 41 (still wear a sweatshirt I bought there!). I believe at the time there were a total of seven or eight wineries in and around Walla Walla. I am guessing today there are well over 100 including K Vintners (who just opened a tasting room in the "downtown" area) and Cayuse who each have some remarkable wine (Old Bones which I have and Bionic Frog which I've never found anywhere). L'ecole 41 is widely available here but K Vintners, Cayuse and Leonetti are all difficult to find or at least most of their wines. I'm on K Vintners mailing list but for Cayuse I've been waiting for over two years.