Crème Brulee Tip??

kmm

I made crème brulee for mother’s day and it turned out really good for a first attempt, but the layer of sugar did not crisp up to a hard shell. What is the trick for finishing? I used Domino dark brown sugar and a torch. I am guessing that I need a finer sugar but I am not certain.

I have one ramekin of custard left and would like to try again tonight.

Thanks in advance!

I made crème brulee for mother’s day and it turned out really good for a first attempt, but the layer of sugar did not crisp up to a hard shell. What is the trick for finishing? I used Domino dark brown sugar and a torch. I am guessing that I need a finer sugar but I am not certain.

I have one ramekin of custard left and would like to try again tonight.

Thanks in advance!

I've only used regular sugar for caramelization. Perhaps the brown sugar has too much moisture.

I think brown sugar should still work - maybe because of the color it is difficult to see if it really melts into a sheet?

I have used both in the past and they do work. The brown gives a better flavor than the white, but as you mention it is hard to tell when it is done.

I think the moisture in the brown sugar might have been part of the issue. The sugar clumped together a little bit more than what I would have liked making that layer too thick. Also maybe I did not torch it long enough to get the caramelized shell.

I am going to try half of the remaining ramekin with white sugar and the other with brown again paying more attention to the layering and torching.

Thanks for the the input!

i always use white granulated sugar...one trick to this is to use enough sugar to get a subsantial crust...if you don't use enough, it won't harden because there isn't enough of a shell over the custard...but you can't use too much either or the top will burn before it all carmelizes, then you have granular which isn't good either...it's a fine line...you just have to trial and error it a couple times...good luck