Cava - The Spanish Sparkler

lperry

I enjoy sparkling wines, and have been trying a number of cavas recently. I find they are a ridiculous value, with some of the most drinkable ones coming in below $10. I went into a wine store recently and pulled a bottle of every brut cava they had off the shelf, and checked out with eight bottles for less than $100. Thus far, I have found copious, fine-textured bubbles and delicate fruit and minerality. These are lovely wines.

So far, Cristalino NV Brut and Dibon NV Brut Reserve have been the most shockingly good for the price, with the Dibon a bit fruitier. It's not vintage champagne, and it's not something to sip, ponder, and record notes regarding the seventeen different aromas and flavors one can discern, but it is a fun and very enjoyable wine that has been working very well with all sorts of food. I can see cava becoming my new summer favorite over vinho verde.

Is anyone else trying these wines? Can someone recommend a higher quality vintage cava (or two) that I can try and where I might find it in the area? Cheers!