Christmas Market in Munich: Live Webcam of Marien Platz

Joe H

Here is the Ludwig Beck webcam overlooking Munich's Christmas Market in Marien Platz.  This refreshes every five seconds.  This, one of the finest Christmas markets in Europe, just opened for the season.

As an aside several years ago I convinced my wife to travel with me to Munich for this.  I had been the previous year on business and fell in love with Munich at Christmas time.  We went two weeks before Christmas.  It was the coldest December in the history of Munich with at least 18" of snow on the ground.  Slushy, icy snow in the Marien Platz almost knee high in places.  There was also a bitterly cold wind for every day of our stay.

Before going I looked at this webcam every day for several weeks.  When we returned home I looked almost every day for the rest of the winter.  I don't think it snowed once-except when we were there.

• Like 1

Here is the live web cam for the Christmas Market in Nuremburg which is the largest Christmas market in Europe.

This is a post that I can't make any other time of the year but this.  Christmas Market in Germany is special.  These two webcams overlook the best.

I've been fortunate to be in Vienna with snow falling and walking outside of Julius Meinl eating heavily seeded bread.  A wonderful, wonderful memory.  Vienna is one of the most beautiful, most special cities on earth.

Now, gluwein!  Ah, gluwein...

PS  Mark Slater?  Are you reading this?  Mark lived in Vienna for a while.  (Sincere jealousy...)

I've been fortunate to be in Vienna with snow falling and walking outside of Julius Meinl eating heavily seeded bread.  A wonderful, wonderful memory.  Vienna is one of the most beautiful, most special cities on earth.

Now, gluwein!  Ah, gluwein...

PS  Mark Slater?  Are you reading this?  Mark lived in Vienna for a while.  (Sincere jealousy...)

Yup. Same here. The three cities (Munich, Wien and Prague) are three especially beautiful places at Xmas time.

I've been in Bavaria at Christmastime quite a lot. If you love Christmas and all its trappings, you will love Christmas in Bavaria. Not just in Munich or Nuremberg, but especially in Alpine towns such as Berchtesgaden. Personally, I detest Christmas down to the bottom of my shoes.