National and Regional Chains

TheInsider

I have not been to Elevation yet and though I have had an In' n Out, it was so long ago that I cannot accurately recall its detailed attributes.

I was however in Chicago last week and sampled a Culvers' Butterburger, served with a side of fried cheese curd, which I thought was simply delicious, though a serious blow to my cholesterol count. Any thoughts of those who have sampled all as to a comparison? I for one thought the Butterburger was much better than Five Guys; then again, I'm not a huge fan of the local chain.

I have not been to Elevation yet and though I have had an In' n Out, it was so long ago that I cannot accurately recall its detailed attributes. 

I was however in Chicago last week and sampled a Culvers' Butterburger, served with a side of fried cheese curd, which I thought was simply delicious ...

Next time you are out there make a stop by Hackney's for a much better burger, and get it with an onion tangle, rings, or whatever they call it. You will never want to go back to Culvers. I particularly like the Glenview (on Harms) location.

I was however in Chicago last week and sampled a Culvers' Butterburger, served with a side of fried cheese curd, which I thought was simply delicious, though a serious blow to my cholesterol count.  Any thoughts of those who have sampled all as to a comparison?  I for one thought the Butterburger was much better than Five Guys; then again, I'm not a huge fan of the local chain.

Culver's is a regional chain which started in Milwaukee. Their hamburgers are very good but I've found some variance having stopped in ten or more different Culver's over the years. At their best it is at least as good as Elevation but still short of both In 'n Out and the best of all the Milwaukee style hamburgers, Kopp's which I believe to be In 'n Out's equal. (Juicy!) Kopp's also has fantastic frozen custard, richer than Culver's even though frozen custard is not suppose to be rich.

Two of Kopp's four stores are franchises in the Milwaukee area. I've often wondered how they would do here. I've also wondered how the franchised Culver's would do here. My guess is that Culver's would do quite well but I think Kopp's, from the day they open, would have Washington's best hamburger and best frozen custard.

Industrial road in Vegas, based on three trips, is not as good as what I've had in three or four stops in Henderson and, recently, in Laughlin. Could be coincidence but I probably stop at In 'n Out five or six times a year and generally find the ones in Southern CA to be more consistent than either northern CA and the three stops at the one nearest the Strip. I should also point out that Industrial road in Las Vegas is their highest grossing unit in the entire chain; this may play some role. Also, In 'n Out was run by a woman in her '80's with, I believe, a grandaughter pegged to take the company over. There is actually quite a bit of tragedy associated with the family that owns this. But, honestly, I remember when In 'n Out first spread into Northern CA I'd run into disappointing experiences there too. I used to wonder if there was more consistency in Southern CA since those working there probably grew up with it and KNEW what it was suppose to taste like. Many in Northern Ca, Arizona and Nevada may not even have seen an In 'n Out before. Anyway, just speculation.

But In'n Out is not franchised-the family has long wanted control.

The double double I had in Henderson two weeks ago was as good as any I've ever had.