Is Federal Cannabis Legalization On The Horizon?

Count Bobulescu

Now that "Our Fearless Leader" (via the 2018 farm bill) has legalized the commercial production of Hemp, previously only allowed for research purposes, I'd like to get ahead of the curve and start a thread on all matters Cannabis. 

First, and most  importantly is, if/when will the feds follow the states and Canada and legalize? I've seen speculation that Donny T might propose it as part of a reelection campaign. I don't buy that. 
In recent years only three states have failed to act on some loosening of their restrictions. 
Elements of Big Pharma and Big Alcohol are chomping at the bit to get going by investing substantial amounts in the Canadian players both private and public. They are apparently also heavily lobbying the feds for legalization.
Some wine producers are also fearful of legalization.
I'd welcome thoughts big and small, broad and narrow.

I started this thread because for reasons unclear to me, my inbox has had a lot of other cannabis related news items this week. Then 12 hours after I started the thread, this shows up in my inbox. Is someone sending me a message.........

Scoop: Workgroup to ponder pot legalization

Maryland’s legislative leaders are looking to convene a work group to study the legalization of recreational marijuana use in the state.

House Majority Leader Kathleen M. Dumais (D-Montgomery) will be the House chair for the joint committee, which is expected to be comprised of more than a dozen members.

Sen. Robert A. Zirkin (D-Baltimore County) said he was also asked to co-chair the panel.

The topic has been long-simmering in Annapolis since medical cannabis was authorized in 2012. Two years later, the state decriminalized possession of small amounts of marijuana.

But while lawmakers consider bills to legalize marijuana each year, more needs to be done to drill down to the issues about how the state would roll out a legalization program if passed, Dumais and Zirkin said.

In a related development, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby (D) announced Tuesday her office would no longer prosecute marijuana possession, regardless of defendants’ criminal records, and that she would seek to expunge thousands of past cases.

Click here to read more about the legislative workgroup and its mandate -- and the impact Mosby's announcement may have on the Annapolis debate over legalizing cannabis.

• Thanks 1

Now I better understand why I received so much email recently on cannabis legalization.
Tennessee, Illinois, Minnesota, West Virginia, New Mexico, Wyoming, Nebraska, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Connecticut, all have legislation of varying reach introduced. 

A little research revealed that in the western states where recreational (or as they call it "adult Age") is legal, there is an astonishing range of product available in multiple formats. Food, drink, smoke, pill, spray, candy, oil etc. Even petfood. It's being marketed every which way. I had no idea.