Le Vintage - The Old Town Wine Shop

KMango

OK, so time has a way of warping your recall.  I could have sworn this place was here years ago, but turns out it's new.

New Wine Shop Opening in Old Town - Alexandria Living Magazine

I stumbled in this past Friday, just to check it out, not really sure what I was up to.  I wound up chatting with a knowledgeable man pointing out surprisingly detailed nuances of wine, beer, cheese, meat, and accoutrements.  Sold on careful curation, I bumbled back to the hotel and created what is perhaps the best charcuterie board of my life.  The recommended Italian Vespolina delivered as promised---jaw-dropping color, non-stop magical moments when the wine does something to the food and the food does something to the wine.  

This afternoon, I returned to the shop to make sure the employee received a rave review.  Turns out he was the owner, making this a family-run small business, another win.

Why You Should Go: 

• Approachability.  Well-organized, intuitive, inviting you to explore the big world of wine rather than feel tiny among experts. 
  • Value:  Nothing here will be a dud.  Outside of the rare producer mishap, anything you procure reflects meticulous inventory control and delicate handling.
  • Responsibility:  Yes, there are a few Spare Me buzzwords via outdoor signage, but have faith.  The principles they reflect are not grape-skin deep.  This business aims for producers who pursue ethical and ecologically sound ways of operating, no small feat of deliciousness in our cost-conscious world.

• Like 1