Catoctin Mountain Orchard

Stopped into the Catoctin Mountain Orchard fruit market -- just north of Thurmont on US-15 (southbound side) -- on Sunday afternoon on way back into town. A woman who said she'd been visiting for 40 years said it was the busiest she'd ever seen it.

They offer pick your own fruit, pick your own flowers, and a decent size indoor offering of fresh fruit & jarred items. We brought back some blackberries (ate lots in the car on the ride), peaches (free stone, should be ripe enough tomorrow), sweet corn (grilled it last night and was sweet and tasty, but kernels could have been crisper), and a couple peppers.

If you're traveling to DC from Harrisburg, PA, check it out. You can't miss it and there's a sign about a mile before.

Stopped into the Catoctin Mountain Orchard fruit market -- just north of Thurmont on US-15 (southbound side)
I guess it's time to stop being surprised by who has a website, but I was surprised to find that this market has one: Click! I'll be driving up that way late Saturday afternoon anyway, so maybe I'll go a little earlier than planned and stop in before 5 pm, which is when they close.

I've been meaning to post about Catoctin Mountain Orchard for some time. We've been stopping in there for a number of years, usually after we've been hiking in the area. My husband is a pie addict and they've got a large variety of very good pies. They seem to almost always be fresh out of the oven. The nine-inch pies range in price from $9.50 to $13.50 (add in the price of a couple of gallons of gas to get there and back and it is still cheaper than Pie Sisters, especially if you buy two, as we often do). The other baked goods are very good, too. They have pick-your-own fruits and veggies, though if you want stone fruit (peaches, etc.) you might want to call ahead as they've been having problems with stink bugs for the past couple of years. We've always found the produce to be of very good quality and extremely fresh, as one would expect from an orchard/farm store.

Their website is here: http://www.catoctinmountainorchard.com/

Fruit availability chart: http://www.catoctinmountainorchard.com/produce.asp

I stopped in to Catoctin Mountain Orchard on my way home from Gettysburg on Saturday. Got some fairly good but far from brilliant strawberries, beets with gorgeous tops (which I love), cucumber, romaine. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that Gettysburg would be a total zoo on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Sheesh.

I used to travel to Harrisburg regularly for my old job and always stopped here on the way back.  Love the pies - I get the frozen ones.  Very reasonably priced.  Their apple dumplings are good too.  And, of course, the fruit.  I don't miss that job but I do miss this place.

We just drove back from my husband's graduation from the Army War College in Carlisle, PA, & we passed the Catoctin Mt. Orchard on the way back, we didn't stop, but it was a beautiful drive, & I loved seeing the fruit trees spread over the hills. I wish that I lived on a farm or an orchard.