Surry Farms' Surryano Ham

lion

I have had it (at Momofuku Ssam} and it is very layered and complex with a lot of funk. Nothing at all like a Serrano {its smoked for one, very bold and agressively flavored for another, no melt in the mouthness of a non smoked cured ham} or even a Pata Negra Bellota. What it is a freaking good Virginia Ham.

I wish they had the donuts to call it that and not try to play on the name of something it isn't. But I would also recommend trying it. Its not for everyone.

Last summer I picked some up at Feast! in Charlottesville along with a couple hunks of cheese and a baguette for a picnic at Barboursville Vineyards and really enjoyed it. I remember it being nutty and melty, but some of the fat might have actually melted due to the heat.

I have had it (at Momofuku Ssam} and it is very layered and complex with a lot of funk. Nothing at all like a Serrano {its smoked for one, very bold and agressively flavored for another, no melt in the mouthness of a non smoked cured ham} or even a Pata Negra Bellota. What it is a freaking good Virginia Ham.

I wish they had the donuts to call it that and not try to play on the name of something it isn't. But I would also recommend trying it. Its not for everyone.

Dean, your description is very accurate. I think calling it Surryano was what threw me for a loop as I was expecting it to be something like a smoked Serrano ham, which it is not. I'll have to give it another go with some biscuits.

I eat it with my fingers! Its great with a good spatlese from the Saar {ziliken gelts comes to mind} or a nicely rich sake like Suishen. Use your fingers and not a forlk and knife. The fat licked of fhe fingers is the best part!