SobaKoh is probably one of 4 - 6 places that make their own soba here in NYC (Corcoran, Sobaya, and a couple others I think). In any event, I'm pretty fond of Sobaya, because they have a nice menu beyond soba, the staff is very nice and their soba is good, imo. I have a problem with Corcoran Delancey due to its size (though I haven't been to their new location yet), lack of AC in the summer, lack of heat in the winter...basically, it's friggin' uncomfortable.

Last night I went back to SobaKoh for about the 5th or 6th time, because I had read about some special soba that was being made (on Mouthfuls, I'm pretty sure), and I wanted to give it a try. Sure enough, there's a soba on the menu that is made with stone-ground Canadian organic something-or-other buckwheat - and it's great. Perfectly chewy - what a treat.

Unfortunately, the tempura that I ordered with it was not so great - as a matter of fact, it's (the tempura) much better at Sobaya. I was tempted to order the uni/salmon roe topping and maybe I should've instead of the tempura.

And none of the aforementioned places know how to cook chicken or duck? It's always dry and flavorless- stay away.