"Do The Right Thing" (1989), Directed, Produced, Written by, and Co-Starring Spike Lee (1957-) in His Breakout Film

DonRocks

I remember seeing "Do The Right Thing" (1989) when it came out in the theaters and really liking it; this, after *detesting* Spike Lee's first major film, "She's Gotta Have It" (1986). The amount of growth demonstrated as an artist in just three years is amazing.

Today, I watched the movie for a second time, and I'm becoming more-and-more convinced (as I watch numerous films for the second time that I first saw decades ago) that I had pretty darned good (or, at least "consistent") taste back then, when compared to my taste now.

This film is cutting-edge, even today, and it's hard to believe it's over a quarter-century old - it has easily stood the test of time, and is not dated in the slightest. It converted me from being a Spike Lee detractor to being a Spike Lee fan, and if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to do so.

Note that this is also the debut film of Martin Lawrence and Rosie Perez.

"Do The Right Thing" was completely shut out in the 1990 Academy Awards. This is a better movie than "Dances With Wolves" (which was one of the first Best Picture Winners that made me realize the Academy Awards are a travesty - how could this not have been nominated for *anything*?

Why are critics afraid to go against the status quo and use their own minds? What good are they if they don't?

• Like 1

I remember seeing "Do The Right Thing" (1989) when it came out in the theaters and really liking it; this, after *detesting* Spike Lee's first major film, "She's Gotta Have It" (1986). The amount of growth demonstrated as an artist in just three years is amazing.

Today, I watched the movie for a second time, and I'm becoming more-and-more convinced (as I watch numerous films for the second time that I first saw decades ago) that I had pretty darned good (or, at least "consistent") taste back then, when compared to my taste now.

This film is cutting-edge, even today, and it's hard to believe it's over a quarter-century old - it has easily stood the test of time, and is not dated in the slightest. It converted me from being a Spike Lee detractor to being a Spike Lee fan, and if you haven't seen it, I encourage you to do so.

Note that this is also the debut film of Martin Lawrence and Rosie Perez.

"Do The Right Thing" was completely shut out in the 1990 Academy Awards. This is a better movie than "Dances With Wolves" (which was one of the first Best Picture Winners that made me realize the Academy Awards are a travesty - how could this not have been nominated for *anything*?

Why are critics afraid to go against the status quo and use their own minds? What good are they if they don't?

I saw "Do the Right Thing" when it was fairly new, and I really disliked it. My memories of it are pretty dim, but I seem to recall finding it distastefully didactic, and that the lesson being set was one I found pernicious. Perhaps I should watch it again. I suppose I might like it.

On the Academy Awards and your last sentence: Do they have something to do with each other? Critics don't get a vote in the Oscars. But yes, they've pretty much always been a travesty. I like to point out that Cary Grant never won a Best Actor Oscar.

Pauline Kael wrote of "Dances with Wolves"

Kevin Costner has feathers in his hair and feathers in his head. The Indians should have called him 'Plays with Camera.'