Citadelle Reserve Gin 2009

Joe Riley

Citadelle Gins are made at Ferrand Cognac in France, and the basic gin has always been a favorite of mine, as I like lots of botanicals in gin.

Two years ago, they came out with Citadelle Reserve Gin, which sees time in oak, and it's a showstopper. The 2009 is what is currently available.

More info here: Citadelle Reserve Gin

From Drinkhacker:

Citadelle isn't just releasing this specially-flavored (with 19 spices) and cognac-barrel aged (5 months) gin -- it's actually going the vintage route, with this 2009 edition recently hitting shelves.

Versus the 2008 version, the only difference in recipe I can tell is one month less in oak: 5 months vs. the 2008 bottling's 6 months. It's still a hazy golden hue, with spice and citrus, and a little vanilla finish imparted by the time in cask. Just as good as the 2008 -- perhaps a little smoother, even. I like it a lot and recommend it just as highly as last year's model.

Even better: It can now be found for cheaper than the 2008, about $5 less per bottle. Win.

A / $35 / citadellegin.com

citadelleginreservevint.th.jpg

I prefer the 2008 to the 2009, but only barely (and the 2009 is the only one available).

NB they made the 2010 with a different gin (not basic Citadelle) that for my palate is way out of balance. So stock in the 2009, then sub it in for jenever in a Holland House, or mix half-and-half with rouge vermouth and the bitters of your choice.