Greenbelt Farmers Market

The Greenbelt Farmers Market will begin its second season on Sunday, May 17th, and run from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm every Sunday through November 22nd (except Labor Day weekend, when it will be closed.) This producers-only market places its emphasis on supporting local farmers and food producers, and this year will have around 17 vendors.

This season, the market will be offering produce, pasture-raised meats, sustainable seafood, soaps, herbal vinegars, ice cream, breads and baked goods, flowers, bedding plants, vegetable and herb plant starts, honey, coffee and goat cheeses.

The market will also have a Second Sunday Chef at the Market series, and many children's activities throughout the season.

This is a fun place to spend a Sunday morning. You can get your farmers market shopping done, then stop in for lunch at the New Deal Cafe (which shifts some of its produce purchasing to farmers market vendors during our season), and then pick up anything else you might need from the great little Co-op Supermarket in Roosevelt Center--another committed farmers market supporter.

For more information, check out the web site at greenbeltfarmersmarket.org

Hope to see you there!

-Kim Kash

President, Greenbelt Farmers Market (and new Don Rockwell community member)

As many of the markets close as we head into the fall season, I just thought I'd give the Greenbelt market, which is open until the weekend before Thanksgiving, a little plug. It's really a lovely community market. They currently do not have a dairy vendor and are working on finding more pasture-raised meat sources, but there is 1 meat vendor, 2 goat cheese vendors (Caprikorn and Firefly), a goat meat vendor who also makes goat milk soap, Stone Hearth bakery, Gunpowder Trading Co (bison), Gaylord Clark from Carriage House Farm/Two Oceans is there to sell his pasture-raised eggs and his fish products (local Chesapeake bay fish, fresh caught salmon, MSC cert halibut, and the most wonderful dry scallops), an ice cream vendor, Zeke's coffee, and plenty of great produce including fruit. Some of my favorite items are the cranberry beans from Thanksgiving Farms, the shitake mushrooms from Calvert Farms, the honeycrisp apples from Three Springs, and the jalapeno goat cheese from Caprikorn.

The market is open from 10-2 every Sunday.

http://www.greenbeltfarmersmarket.org/

The Greenbelt Farmers Market opens this Sunday, same hours as last year, 10-2. This year brings several new vendors including Bees and Blossoms honey (they won't be vending until next week though) and Ferguson Family Farm, where they raise grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, and heritage pork using Joel Salatin's methods (including movable chicken coops). I can't wait for "my" market to reopen, I've felt sort of lost all winter without my usual Sunday morning routine. Hope to see some of you there.

Just a little plug for the Greenbelt Farmers market. It's such a great little market for those who live in the area. I would say there are nearly as many options as nearby Takoma, with some things that Takoma doesn't have (like a fabulous ice cream vendor) and without some that Takoma does (like a dairy vendor - milk, etc.). It seems like there have been less customers so far this year, which has been hard on the vendors so I hope some folks will come out and/or spread the word about this market. They're in their 3rd year now adn what they have to offer is quite impressive considering IMHO.

Here's a general rundown of what the market does offer (I'm not going to give names of all individual places b/c I can't remember them all):

Gunpowder (bison)

Ferguson Family farms (free range beef, pork, chicken, and eggs)

One orchard

Caprikorn & Firefly (both goat cheese vendors, although different styles)

Ice cream

Sustainable (often locally sourced) seafood, including fresh and smoked salmon, wet scallops, mahi mahi, rockfish, and wonderful ahi tuna

Stone Hearth bakery

Zeke's coffee

Once a month - a soap vendor

One certified organic produce vendor and many others who farm as organically as possible

Bees & Blossoms honey

3 of the vendors also sell fresh, free-range eggs

The Greenbelt Farmers Market opens this weekend on Mother's Day, for it's usual hours from 10 am - 2 pm. Almost all of the vendors are the same, with the addition of another entirely ORGANIC vegetable vendor, Patty's Garden from Mardela Springs, MD. A full list of this year's vendors can be found here.

If you haven't yet visited Greenbelt's market, I hope that you will this season. It's small enough to be manageable and friendly, but has a little bit of everything from your fresh organic veg to sustainable seafood to homemade ice cream made with local ingredients to crepes prepared at the market to flowers/plants for your garden to free range meat, chicken, & eggs. I could go on. Come by and see for yourself. B)