Slow Food University

chaofun

We have a few of these events a year so I started a topic for it. This one is actually a week from today. The speaker Geoff Andrews, wrote the book The Slow Food Story: Politics and Pleasure among others. Here is the info for this event:

Time: August 31 · 6:30pm - 8:00pm

Location: Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, 8230 Georgia Ave, 2nd Floor, Silver Spring, MD

Slow Food DC's Slow Food University presents Geoff Andrews, author of the Slow Food Story, for a potluck and discussion about the food movement in the US. This is a great opportunity to bring someone who has never heard of Slow Food!

Please bring a dish or beverages to share with two or more people.

RSVP to sally.summerson_at_gmail.com with number in your party and the item you're bringing.

I won't be there since I'll be at the $20 Tuesday at Pizzaria Orso, but I wanted to let folks know and start this thread for the future.

We have a few of these events a year so I started a topic for it. This one is actually a week from today. The speaker Geoff Andrews, wrote the book The Slow Food Story: Politics and Pleasure among others. Here is the info for this event:

Time: August 31 · 6:30pm - 8:00pm

Location: Pyramid Atlantic Art Center, 8230 Georgia Ave, 2nd Floor, Silver Spring, MD

Slow Food DC's Slow Food University presents Geoff Andrews, author of the Slow Food Story, for a potluck and discussion about the food movement in the US. This is a great opportunity to bring someone who has never heard of Slow Food!

Please bring a dish or beverages to share with two or more people.

RSVP to sally.summerson_at_gmail.com with number in your party and the item you're bringing.

I won't be there since I'll be at the $20 Tuesday at Pizzaria Orso, but I wanted to let folks know and start this thread for the future.

Folks the speaker has a family crisis and will not be able to make it to the states, so unfortunately this event is canceled. I'll post again when there is another Slow Food U.

-Theo

Next month there will be a new Slow U:

Slow U: The Amazing Norton Grape with Todd Kliman

Thursday, November 4 · 6:30pm - 9:00pm

Pyramid Atlantic

8230 Georgia Avenue

Silver Spring, MD

Join Slow Food University as we welcome Todd Kliman, noted author, and food and wine editor of The Washingtonian magazine. Todd will read from his recent book, The Wild Vine, the riveting story of the Norton grape, considered by many to be the only indigenous American grape capable of producing great wines. This is your chance to learn about this truly native and local grape, and help restore the robust, distinctive wines it creates to their rightful place on the country’s tables. In addition to a book-signing, Todd will also lead us through a tasting of Norton wines from Missouri, Virginia and Maryland. These red wines go especially well with the following kinds of dishes, so for the potluck, bring something inspired by the list so that we can have a food pairing.

This event is free, but space is limited and an RSVP is required: send an e-mail with names of attendees to rsvpsuri@slowfooddc.org. Attendees must be 21 years of age or older.

POTLUCK FOOD PAIRING

We welcome dishes inspired in particular from the following list of dishes and flavors (which incorporates suggestions by Todd Kliman). “Finger food” appetizers would be the most appropriate. Please bring something that can be served at room temperature. We will be serving wine in “tasting” quantities – feel free to bring along a bottle of Norton wine to share if you have a favorite.

In general, Norton wines go with food that has “big” flavors. Some examples:

Sausage

Meatballs

Sliders (Sloppy Joe sauce optional)

Barbecue

Spanish flavors like romesco sauce, ham

Venison, duck, game

Grilled wild mushrooms

Balsamic sauce

Mexican Mole’

Moroccan food

Flatbreads incorporating some of these flavors would be particularly easy to serve as finger food.

We wish to thank our sponsors, Stone Hill Winery, MO and Chrysalis Vineyards, VA for their generous contributions to help make this event a success.