Chevy Chase Farmer's Market

I haven't seen a thread on this producer-only market. It's Saturdays from 9-1 on the grounds of Lafayette Elementary School in Chevy Chase DC (near Chevy Chase Circle) and has some wonderful providers who can only be found here, as well as familiar names like Smith Meadows (organic grass-fed meats, pastas and sauces) and Bonaparte Breads (all manner of delicious pastries and breads for instant gratification). Nob Hill Orchards has a huge variety of fruits with many heirloom varieties you don't see often. I bought some incredible (and expensive) apricots from them last week that were the most juicy and flavorful I think I have ever had. They didn't survive the trip home, as I ate them all. They also sell their own jams and preserves. You can find currants and gooseberries there, as well as at least twenty different types of apples in season. Even' Star Farms, run by a former chef, has delightful and hard-to find items such as the four kinds of cucumber at last week's market. I particularly liked the Armenian, which can be eaten with the skin on (no bitterness), but also liked the Persian and Poona Kheera. They offer numerous varieties of most crops including eggplants, peppers and heirloom tomatoes (coming in soon.) Brett Grohsgal , the owner, also sells a cookbook he coauthored with recipes for his crops and a more general farmer's market cookbook. Useful for those of us who are entranced by a new vegetable and then wonder what on earth to do with it. Haroun Hallack and Clarissa Mathews of Redbud Organic Farm in WV run the market and are passionate about making sure the vendors fit the local/sustainable model. There are also other vendors such as a caterer, whose name escapes me at the moment, with very good ready-to-eat items such as crepes, soups and other entree/appetizer dishes.

For those who are near Chevy Chase, including NW DC, Silver Spring, and so on, this market is a great resource, particularly since it's on Saturday and has plenty of easy parking. It's not too crowded and is family and pet friendly. No Metro stop nearby, though there is bus service.

I haven't seen a thread on this producer-only market. It's Saturdays from 9-1 on the grounds of Lafayette Elementary School in Chevy Chase DC (near Chevy Chase Circle) and has some wonderful providers who can only be found here, as well as familiar names like Smith Meadows (organic grass-fed meats, pastas and sauces) and Bonaparte Breads (all manner of delicious pastries and breads for instant gratification). Nob Hill Orchards has a huge variety of fruits with many heirloom varieties you don't see often. I bought some incredible (and expensive) apricots from them last week that were the most juicy and flavorful I think I have ever had. They didn't survive the trip home, as I ate them all. They also sell their own jams and preserves. You can find currants and gooseberries there, as well as at least twenty different types of apples in season. Even' Star Farms, run by a former chef, has delightful and hard-to find items such as the four kinds of cucumber at last week's market. I particularly liked the Armenian, which can be eaten with the skin on (no bitterness), but also liked the Persian and Poona Kheera. They offer numerous varieties of most crops including eggplants, peppers and heirloom tomatoes (coming in soon.) Brett Grohsgal , the owner, also sells a cookbook he coauthored with recipes for his crops and a more general farmer's market cookbook. Useful for those of us who are entranced by a new vegetable and then wonder what on earth to do with it. Haroun Hallack and Clarissa Mathews of Redbud Organic Farm in WV run the market and are passionate about making sure the vendors fit the local/sustainable model. There are also other vendors such as a caterer, whose name escapes me at the moment, with very good ready-to-eat items such as crepes, soups and other entree/appetizer dishes.

For those who are near Chevy Chase, including NW DC, Silver Spring, and so on, this market is a great resource, particularly since it's on Saturday and has plenty of easy parking. It's not too crowded and is family and pet friendly. No Metro stop nearby, though there is bus service.

Some off the producers are also at Palisades on Sunday