Tere's Latin Market in Ellicott CIty

The beauty of a food blog is that it almost justifies getting a taco on the way to dinner with friends.

I had noticed recent comments about Tere's Latin Market talking about tacos and other specialities that I don't remember from a visit in 2008. So I detoured there on Rte 40 one night on the way to Korean at Shin Chon Garden.

Back in the day, Tere's was just a small market. Now, there's a taqueria in the back. It's counter service with tacos, sandwiches, and some other dishes. For $2.50, I picked up a snack -- and found a great little place for Mexican food.

Start with the flavor. The first taco was al pastor. Diced pork on two fresh corn tortillas came through moist, fresh and spicy with chopped cilantro on top. Even the takeout packet came with sliced radish and cucumber, which crunched nicely in contrast.

photo(210).JPG Tacos al pastor

Then come around the butchering. My wife -- who doesn't snack on the way to dinner -- talks about the meat at R&R Taqueria at the Shell station in Elkridge. It comes beautifully even from a tiny kitchen. No gristle. No chewy pieces. Tere's Latin Market pulls off the same trick. The pork was just better than anything I can dice out on my own.

So I had to go back. Like the next day for lunch. I ordered up two tacos -- chorizo and beef. Again, moist, flavorful meat with spices. Chorizo was rich and greasy. (In a good way.) Beef was butchered right again and went great with squeezes of lime. There is a small bar of fresh salsas and chopped peppers and other vegetables. You can doctor them in the fashion that works for you.

Seriously folks, these were delicious tacos, and Tere's pairs them up with horchata -- the creamy, refreshing Mexican soft drink that makes a special meal. R&R Taqueria makes a magical meal in a gas station. Now, there is an Ellicott City option as well.