Treme, HBO

Nick Freshman

Does anyone watch this show? I think the creator, David Simon, is brilliant if painfully cynical. He created The Wire, which may be the greatest show ever made. Treme is a wonderful ode to New Orleans, and such careful attention is given to the culture--language, music, geography, history--that it's amazing. Of course, being New Orleans, food plays a huge part in the series, and I have to say that it is the most accurate representation of the restaurant business I have ever seen on TV or the big screen. Anthony Bourdain has been co-writing or co-producing, and it shows. I'm curious if any other pros have seen it, and if they agree? Listen to the kitchen language, watch the movements, dissect the characters; it's all incredibly on point. When last season I saw the crew of the fictional restaurant in Manhattan on the line drinking their drinks out of quart containers, I yelled in amazement at the screen--you can't know that if you haven't been there. Even though in Season 3, the restaurant owner character is painted as a one dimensional money grubbing asshole hellbent on destroying the purity of the Chef(c'mon man, they're not all bad), I still thought to myself they just do an amazing job.

Is this already a topic? I couldn't find it.