Recognition

darkstar965

I post only rarely on the "To Whom Are You Drinking Right Now?" thread. Like a bunch of other perennial topics, I think it was a great idea that strengthens community beyond this being just a website. There's so much interesting stuff in there but I think many visitors and members may not look at it much. There's also a sort of understood norm that you post very briefly there and then move on. Personal things are fine; maybe even encouraged. You won't be questioned too much; at least not publicly.

I 'grew up' in a unique professional context where recognition was really emphasized. Whether a big-deal accomplishment or just a tenure milestone, we'd always celebrate it. Usually an "award" of some kind (funny/serious, cheap/expensive depending on the particulars) and at least a round or a lunch if not a full blown party or ceremony. No birthday was missed. Noone departing the organization ever got away without a serious round of applause and the requisite trappings.

Since seeing and steeping in that kind of an organizational culture, I've since seen nothing else like it across many organizations and years. Whether corporate/for-profit or non-profit and whether small or large, the huge majority of places where people work simply suck at recognition. And that feeds into eroding employer/employee trust, fading loyalty and weaker community. In my humble opinion, that's a small part of the increasingly transactional nature of workplaces. Someone takes a job, goes to work each day, quits or gets laid off and, unlike the last generation, will do that several--if not many--times in a typical career.

On recognition, this website is actually better than many workplaces and organizations. It's certainly better than other websites. And, beyond recognition, the website's focus on broader community. A lot of that has to do with the general culture that has evolved here since 2005 when launched, with quirky and engaging topics that persist across years. With the deft hand of moderation that has always kept content quality very high and encouraged a ton of knowledge sharing; heck, learning. With the unique group of members including so many with seriously deep knowledge, prominence in the restaurant biz, food service or food writing, or just real passion for the various topics discussed here whether beer, a specific journalist/blogger or great ethnic or fine-dining restaurants. With the generosity that pervades this site; too many examples of that every week to try and cite any specifically.

Recognition is a thing different from but related to community. People don't always welcome recognition preferring to stay below the radar or have the light shined in a different direction. But still here, members get PMs or posts with kudos when they do something appreciated like organize an event or share a detailed report on a great new restaurant find. The site tracks birthdays and even has a thread for well wishers. Significant life events (retirements, births, deaths, unions), when known, often find their way into posts. That's all great, great stuff that I'd imagine most members (and maybe even many future members?) value. It's enriching stuff. It's a lot of the reason why I'd guess many of us stick around. Recognition is a large log in the cabin of 'community;' a sometimes amorphous, but always critical, concept.

That "To Whom Are You Drinking Now?" thread sits in the least-trafficked of the main five forums ("Beer, Wine and Cocktails"). It was created in 2007 and has just more than 1100 replies or posts. It's somewhat unique in that it's a place where members can post a brief and personal thought, usually without a big discussion or exchange. I personally haven't posted on it very much. But I do look at it from time to time. It reminds me of graffiti that makes you stop and think. Or the guest book at a nice inn or, even better, the guest book at a moving museum or exhibit where visitors are encouraged to share whatever they want. I think it's one of several truly seminal topics on this website.

And, closing this down, I want to highlight a rare post I made to that thread last night. I did it to shine a light on a milestone. I may be the only one who thinks it's cool but that's okay. It's not just about a number. It's about everything--here online and offline--that number represents.

Can see it here. And, thanks, Don.

• Like 3