Mangalitsa Pig Dinner at Dino, Tuesday April 9th, 6:30 PM

deangold

If you are a person of fine taste and decorum, please stop reading this post now. If you are a vegetarian, hit back! If you grew up worshiping

, or if you respect intellectual property rights and copyright issues, don't bother. But if you wanted to roast & eat Porky, or if you are a porkatarian with a high tolerance for bad puns, read on. We do warn you that any hunger pangs you feel can be easily fixed at Dino's "It's The Big Pig Dinner, Charlie Brown! Parte Due ~ Only the Squeal Survive" Tuesday, April 9 at 6:30 at Dino. Or Starting April 10 when we serve up more Mangalitsa piggie specials.

New Flash from UPPI {United Pig Press International}

Sad news from the pig world today. Porky Pig died peacefully at a Mt. Airy abattoir yesterday. His last words were said to be “I always wanted to be in the restaurant business." In lieu of a funeral, he will be eaten at Dino April 9th starting at 6:30 pm.

While Porky Pig is perhaps the most famous pig ever, little of his real life story is known. In fact, Porky, just like Lassie, was actually a female pig. Porky was played by Sue, a Mangalitsa
pig raised on a Carroll County Farm by famed Pig Grower, Brian Weaver. Weaver too has a dual identity. His real name is Bryan Kerney and he's owner of Truck Patch Farms in New Windsor, Maryland. Kearny’s alias was given to him by Restauranteur Dean Gold. When Gold was asked by
Farmer Kerney “Who is Bryan Weaver?” Gold replied “I always thought that was you. Look, it would be easier for me if you just change your name than if I have to remember your real name. OK?”

Not much is known about Porky’s {as we will continue to call him} early life. But there is a dark side that few know about. Porky ran with a bad crowd as a teenager and wound up in jail for a brief time, say 3 or 4 hours in the pot. The result of his miscreant behavior is a dish known as Jailer’s Stew, a delicious Tuscan dish of pork shoulder braised with herbs, spices and a splash of vinegar.

But the time in jail did wonders for getting our pig back on the right road. He went on to complete college, getting a 4-year degree with Summa cum Lard honors! Some say this gave porky a big head. But others say it was a tasty head, a theory we will test with Testa, or pig head terrine.

As one of the only pigs on campus, and the only one of Hungarian Lard Pig Mangalitsa extraction, Porky had balls…meatballs that is! In fact, Porky even named them Purpette a Ra Passula. Calabrian meatballs with raisins to be specific. Feel free to nibble on these delicious, and
dare I say it, juicy pork balls! And as big pig on campus, Porky always went out with chicks…chickpeas to be specific. So we will enjoy a stew of chickpeas and Porky, I mean pork.

And then fame hit as he was cast in a cartoon for the Warner Brother studio. As Porky gained
his stardom at Warner Brothers, he became known as "The pig with a big belly,” throwing his weight around to get the plumpest roles on the studio lot. He made enemies, so it was often true that his “Fat was in the fire!” We will put his fatty belly in the fire for our Pancetta alla Porchetta {our spin on Tuscan style fennel flavored pork roast made from braised pork belly roasted in a hot oven.} It’s a rich dish; but then again, after all his film career, Porky was a rich pig!

Later in life, Porky became concerned about his figure and took up running. He never lost weight, in fact, gaining fat weight right up to his going to work for Dino. But the running did give his feet and hocks a fine flavor we will enjoy in Pasta con I Piedi {Pasta with the feet.}

Porky was famous for his sense of humor and the knowledge that he loved to roll around in…well whatever it is that pigs love to roll around in that makes them happy. In fact, Porky always took a good ribbing about it. While we won’t have any of this substance at the dinner, but his ribs will taste great grilled “Rosticciana” style!

{It goes without saying that I am deeply indebted to HillValley forinspiring the following paragraph, but I take the full blams for it!} It is little known that Porky was of the Jewish faith. He figured that being a member of the tribe would lessen the chance of those around him eating him. Oh well! As Michael Chabon wrote: “the craving of a Jew for pork, in particular when it has been deep-fried, is a force greater than night or distance or a cold blast off the Gulf of Alaska.” So to honor his religious views, and his long time co-star Daffy Duck, we will enjoy “This is Just Plain Wrong” ~ Duck Schmaltz Matzo Balls in Pork Broth. And to honor Michael Chabon, we will have some deep fried pork
skins “Chicharrones.”

Porky was a wine lover and he will be toasted with his favorite: a flight of Sicilian Reds or three pork
friendly cocktails by Fabian Malone, our bar manager and mad cocktail maker. The flights are $30, or for $20, enjoy a trio of Italian craft beers.

If you can’t come Tuesday April 9th, or if you just want a smaller bit of the pig, come in starting the 10th for, as Porky fan Paul Harvey would have said, “The rest of the pig!” Well, he might have except Paul Harvey was a man of taste. Porky was a pig of taste, which can be explored with a smaller $49 pig tasting menu and piggie specials “’til she’s gone!”

So please do reserve. We are getting close to our limit for this event. The cost of the dinner is
$69 plus tax & gratuity. The bad humor is complementary. Please call the restaurant for reservations, as you cannot reserve for this over Open Table. Have your credit card handy, because as Porky said, "good intentions are one thing, but reservations need to be guaranteed!”

In closing, what else can I say, but “That’s All Folks!"

• Like 2

It’s The Big Pig Charlie Brown! Parte Due

Only the Squeal Survive $49 per person

Parts is parts

Charcuterie

mushroom & pig terrine w/sriracha aioli

duck fat hock rillettes corstini

Good necking & good head go hand in hand.

Or something!

Ceci con Tempio

head & neck stewed chickpeas

You have to take the bitter with the sweet

Pork fat is sweet!

Pancetta w/Radicchio

'til she's gone!

crispy braised belly “Tuscan Bacon” style, sliced & wrapped around radicchio leaves ~ Saba drizzle

A pig needs to stand on its own four feet!

Canestri w/Trotters

Tuscan tomato sauce w/trotters & spices on shell pasta

Pigs Take a Good Ribbing

Costelette di Maiale

very fatty pork chop w/old balsamico & pork stock

olive oil & lard fried potatoes

You’re convinced I’m nuts by now!

Lard, Nutella & Pretzel Chocolate Cookie ~ Pistaccio Gelato

Whenever I get really ambitious, the big pig rises up out of the pig patch and looks at all the good boys and girls who love eating the porcine goodness that is heritage pork. This time the big pig is a Mangalitsa pig from Bryan Kerny. Weather you call it Mangalitsa (US spelling), Mangalitza (UK spelling) or Mangalica (original Hungarian spelling), this is one delicious pig.

After our pig dinner last Tuesday, we still have plenty of pig left. We are featuring a tasting menu from our Mangalitsa pig. Or you can order these dishes ala carte. Who knows, there might even be a few other items on the menu as well. And don't forget brunch! There will defintely be Mangalitsa items at brunch as well! That was one big pig!

Normally $49, mention Don Rockwell and it's $39. You can reserve on Open Table and just put Don Rockwell and your handle in the special notes field, or just call us and reserve that way. You can also get wine madness {wines $50* at 33% off} with the pig menu.

Mangalitsa Pate ~ wild mushroom & Mangalitsa pate plus rillettes on a crostini made from Mangalitsa leg meat. The rilletes will run out first and then we will have a Mangalitsa Bolognese crostini instead.

Mangalitsa Tuscan Bacon Wrapped Radicchio ~ we got some early spring radicchio from The Farm at Sunnyside. Grilled and wrapped in our braised Mangalitza belly then crisped on the griddle, it is a blend of the spicy/bitter flavors of incredible radicchio with piggy goodness.

Ceci e Tempio ~ garbanzo beans {Italian organic} stewed with piggie parts {neck, jowls etc} makes a great starter. Given the rain and cooler weather we are expecting today, this is a winner!

Canestri w/Mangalista ~ a rich tomato sauce with lots of Mangalitsa in it on our house made "shell" shaped pasta is another great starter.

Mangalitsa stew ~ slow simmered, shredded sirloin and shoulder meat on mashed root veggies & potatoes

And don't think we have left out dessert.... inspired by our Passover Nutella cookie dessert

Chocolate, Nutella, Hazelnut & Pistachio Cookie with Mangalitsa fat topped by pistaccio gelato as our dessert

We've made a pig of ourselves, so why don't you come in this weekend and do so too! But remember that when she's gone, she's gone! I would assume we will be in the Mangalitsa business thru the weekend.

• Like 1