Twinkie Deconstructed

brr

The parmesan cheese discussion remined me of Newsweek had a feature today on a book called Twinkie Deconstructed in which a guy sources each one of the ingredients that go into making a Twinkie.

Sounds like it might be an interesting read.

Heres a blurb

"From the phosphate mines in Idaho to the corn fields in Iowa, from gypsum mines in Oklahoma to the vanilla harvest in Madagascar, Twinkie, Deconstructed is a fascinating, thoroughly researched romp of a narrative that demystifies some of the most common processed food ingredients—where they come from, how they are made, how they are used—and why. Beginning at the source (hint: they’re often more closely linked to rock and petroleum than any of the four food groups), we follow each Twinkie ingredient through the process of being crushed, baked, fermented, refined, and/or reacted into a totally unrecognizable goo or powder with a strange name—all for the sake of creating a simple snack cake."

It's been awhile since I've been able to post, so apologies for being a bit late to this topic (and slightly off-topic). I have a bit of a Twinkie obsession. To the point where I have a "Twinkie Cookbook" sitting on my desk. It has such gems as Twinkie Sushi (green fruit rollups = seaweed), Twinkiehenge, Twinkie burrito and Twinkie lasagna. There are literally at least 50 Twinkie recipies in this book. If you're ever able to get beyond the origin of the great Twinkie and would like to try some of these truly sophisticated masterpieces, feel free to PM me. You WILL be the envy of all of your friends when you roll into your next cocktail party with Twinkie Macchiato Cake as your contribution.