Korean Primer - Washington Post 7/28/05 Article

CrescentFresh

Massive download of everything related to Korean dining today in the Washington Post. Check out the links to restaurant info, too.

Annangol doesn't look like much outside, or in. Wedged in a tiny strip shopping center between Little River Turnpike and Columbia Pike, Annangol is a no-frills traditional restaurant specializing in pork. A few tables have built-in grills.

Korean was the only language heard throughout the room, though at least one server spoke fluent English. The restaurant's name is a play on Annandale's name. ( Gol means town in Korean.)

The menu is printed on the place mats, and not everything is translated from Korean, including the hot, spicy pork rib barbecue. The meat is cut from pork ribs, then marinated in a Korean hot pepper sauce before barbecuing. The grills are fired by gas, and traditional wire baskets hold the meat while cooking, creating smoke that flavors the meat.

The dol sot bibim bap is accompanied by what was described as a steamed egg: almost an egg soufflé, presented bubbling in its own stone pot. Annangol is a great place for anyone not afraid of trying new things. 4215 Annandale Center Dr., 703-914-4600.

---------------------

This is one of my favorite Korean joints for soju and barbeque. Get the spicy pork rib barbeque...the BEST in DC!!...the name of the dish can be translated as UGLY PORK RIB. If any of you prefer beef, try their paper thin beef barbeque. Make sure you ask to be seated at the larger tables (p.s. go with a bunch of friends who knows how to drink soju and don't mind smelling like barbeque afterwards) because only the larger tables allow you to cook in wire baskets. Believe me...it makes ALL the difference!

I am going to Nakwon Garden tonight, another hole in the wall joint tonight for thin beef barbeques and soju. By the way, Nakwon is one of the only...if not only....place in DC that uses coal to barbeque their kalbi and not gas.

Off I go to Regis for Happy Hour and then BBQ time!!

Edited by crazeegirl

Massive download of everything related to Korean dining today in the Washington Post. Check out the links to restaurant info, too.

This was a series of articles (5 or 6) which appeared in the Thursday regional supplements of the Post, NOT including AFAIK the DC edition, only several of the suburban ones. I searched the Post website and I think found all of the articles. Here is a link to my post on Chowhound which in turn has a link to a Post search which displays all the articles

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...ages/67855.html

Note: This was not in the Food section, nor did it appear in the DC print edition of the Post

This was a series of articles (5 or 6) which appeared in the Thursday regional supplements of the Post, NOT including AFAIK the DC edition, only several of the suburban ones. 

Note:   This was not in the Food section, nor did it appear in the DC print edition of the Post

Thus, my subtitle expressing disgust at the Post Food Section. It has turned into an utter joke. Albeit one that's not very funny. Somewhere we need to start again a thread about why the Post Food Section sucks. This Korean article should be example #1.

DEAR JUDITH HAVEMANN:

IF YOU OR ANY OF YOUR STAFFERS READ THIS, HOW ARE YOU NOT EMBARRASSED THAT THIS SUPERB LOOK AT KOREAN FOOD AND INGREDIENTS ENDS UP IN ONLY REGIONAL SECTIONS?

HOW ARE YOU NOT EMBARRASSED THAT A FANTASTIC ARTICLE ABOUT RESTAURANT EMPLOYEE LIFE (AS EXPRESSED AT MERKADO) ENDED UP IN THE A SECTION, BUT WE SEE NOTHING LIKE IT EVER IN THE FOOD SECTION?

THE WASHINGTON POST FOOD SECTION IS A DISGRACE! I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT YOU'VE BEEN PASSED IN USEFULNESS BY DR. GRIDLOCK, ASK AMY, AND MUTTS! FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, YOU'RE THE EDITOR, WHAT DO YOU DO?

Edited by CrescentFresh