Assistant Maitre Fromager

LittleWing

I'm currently serving as the Maitre Fromager at Old Hickory Steakhouse (at the Gaylord National Harbor Resort & Convention Center). I need someone to fill the Assistant Maitre Fromager position, starting part-time for the month of August, then becoming full-time in September. I am looking for someone to start ASAP!

This is an excellent opportunity to learn a LOT about artisanal cheese as well as the art & science of affinage. I select all of our cheeses (which you could eventually help with), & then age them in our on-site cave. I have a cheese cart, which is presented tableside to our guests, and from which I prepare cheese plates.

As far as the Assistant position, I'd prefer someone who has some fine-dining restaurant experience and/or cheese experience, but I'm willing to train if you have the right personality & a passion for food and wine. You need to be charming & full of smiles (for our guests), as well as a dedicated & hard worker (for the me & the cheese). Personality is key in this position - the Maitre Fromager is essentially performing for the guests, as many as 20 tables per night. You need to have a positive attitude & exude charisma! Passion is also paramount - you need to be extremely interested in cheese (and food & wine in general), otherwise you will certainly get bored.

Responsibilities include: setting up & breaking down the cheese cart; performing cheese presentation for guests during service; making cheese plates for guests; receiving orders; caring for & aging cheeses; etc. You would initially just be covering my days off (as well as training to get you ready). Eventually, in addition to covering my days off, you would also work three nights per week with me (each of us with a cart).

Position is an hourly wage with sales commission to boot. Gaylord Entertainment is committed to its employees and offers great benefits, some of which include:

free gym on-site; daily meal allowance; uniforms provision; full medical & dental insurance; vacation & sick days; continuing education (i.e. will reimburse for sommelier training or other classes); etc. There is public transportation to the site; however, right now the bus does not run late enough to get you to the metro station at the end of the night.

I think I'm very lucky to be able to do this job every night. Not everyone gets to do work about which they are so passionate. So if you're interested in cheese, this might be a great opportunity for you! Please send emails to:

carolynvs@gmail.com

OR

cstromberg@gaylordhotels.com