Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so please move to appropriate one. People volunteer for several reasons.  I volunteer often for social causes that mean a lot of me. I also opt to volunteer for events that I can not afford to attend. The gratitude from agencies for their volunteers has often led to opportunities that would not otherwise materialize. There is a new trend developing, well it has  has already been around for years, voluntourism.  Are there agencies, or events in the greater Washington DC area that promote or offer trips in voluntourism?

In service,

kat

While trying my best to not come off like an uncaring a-hole, I’d advise you to be very, very careful before doing this.  Unfortunately, our world is full of “entrepreneurs” who see our interest in “helping” as an opportunity to make money from human misery. The NYT was one of several media organizations publishing articles a couple of years ago explaining that much of this business isn’t as helpful to anyone as simply giving money to reputable organizations & some other articles exposed outright ghoulish practices engaged or supported by others.  Just google voluntourism & you’ll get an eyeful without me going on.  Lest you think poorly of my discouragement on this, please note that any opinion I have on this industry is based on me looking into it as something I’d be interested in doing myself & being shocked at what I found.  Please... if you look further into it & find anything specific that you think I should hear, let me know.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

While trying my best to not come off like an uncaring a-hole, I’d advise you to be very, very careful before doing this.  Unfortunately, our world is full of “entrepreneurs” who see our interest in “helping” as an opportunity to make money from human misery. The NYT was one of several media organizations publishing articles a couple of years ago explaining that much of this business isn’t as helpful to anyone as simply giving money to reputable organizations & some other articles exposed outright ghoulish practices engaged or supported by others.  Just google voluntourism & you’ll get an eyeful without me going on.  Lest you think poorly of my discouragement on this, please note that any opinion I have on this industry is based on me looking into it as something I’d be interested in doing myself & being shocked at what I found.  Please... if you look further into it & find anything specific that you think I should hear, let me know.

I wholly appreciate you chiming in on my inquiry. I do understand there are several companies that are looking to profit from the one's ability to want to help. I will do my due diligence in researching this option, and will report back on my findings. After all, I don't want my journey to end up like a scene out of Turista.

Heed caution,

kat

Thanks.  This reminds me more of tours sponsored by a # of educational organizations, albeit with a clear political/sociological leaning (which I, personally, like).  If I were to go on such a tour (& I might, if they wind up having a tour to a place I’d want to go) & meet individuals or organizations that I’d like to help out further (monetarily or with personal activity), I would then make private arrangements (maybe with their knowledgeable assistance) to do so.  To me, that’s a world of difference from participating in voluntourism, in which my tour itself is centered on my involvement in a set up situation that I couldn’t get a positive feel for in advance & might be heavily manipulated.  Again, thanks for continuing to explore this issue & share what you find.  It’s appreciated.

As an aside, being of an age (over 60) in a world where basic issue challenges are now plentiful (from “locally sourced”, “farm to table” restaurants to Airbnb type apartment sharing to “fair trade” goods to living in a “co-op” & not a condo), I find I actually feel invigorated in addition to overwhelmed by the concepts being advanced.  I guess that’s a good thing.

• Like 1