Licking Creek Bend Farm

The Licking Creek Bend farm people at the Adams Morgan farmers' market on Saturday had boxes of squash blossoms. A dollar for four, so I couldn't resist. I stuffed them with ricotta, goat cheese, and smoked paprika, and breaded them lightly in egg and flour. Not bad, but next time I'll just make the filling and spread it on an English muffin.

They also had baby bananas. Obviously, they bring in a lot of stuff they don't grow themselves.

I don't really expect to find farmer markets under big highway bridges but you will find Mike and the crew here for three more Tuesdays in Brookland, NE. Golden Bartletts and Boscs were only $1.49/lb, while Asian pears were $1.99/lb. Mike had really nice looking carrots and broccoli as well (not to mention the bushels of tomatoes at .69/lb!). They will still be found on Saturdays and at their other Tuesday locations, but I just like the little crew of bread baker, dessert seller, nut roaster, a bike clinic and this lovely farmstand tucked under the bridge.

PS. Bimbapino looked wonderfully adorable in his little man outfit. It's nice to run into Bimbap's family at random places.

The jars of homemade salsa that he sells are the only canned salsas that I like, although the "Wicked Salsa" is too hot even for me. There are some very nice pint jars of homemade jams, jellies, and relishes all in the $4-5 range. And the eggs are only $2.50/dz. Mike has been there every Saturday, except for January and February, since before there was a bank building on the corner, and what was originally Perpetual Savings and Loan was required to keep space for the market before their building plans were approved. Mike and his crew are considered real treasures in Adams Morgan.

I don't really expect to find farmer markets under big highway bridges but you will find Mike and the crew here for three more Tuesdays in Brookland, NE. Golden Bartletts and Boscs were only $1.49/lb, while Asian pears were $1.99/lb. Mike had really nice looking carrots and broccoli as well (not to mention the bushels of tomatoes at .69/lb!). They will still be found on Saturdays and at their other Tuesday locations, but I just like the little crew of bread baker, dessert seller, nut roaster, a bike clinic and this lovely farmstand tucked under the bridge.

PS. Bimbapino looked wonderfully adorable in his little man outfit. It's nice to run into Bimbap's family at random places.

Thanks GE! It was nice to see you too!

Mike has been the linchpin of the Tuesday Brookland Market for years now. It's amazing how much he gets around the area. Friends who live way up in Laytonsville know him because he also sells at NIST's market. The produce is always good and though Mike is cranky, he's never boring.