Sam Adams Initiates "Hop Sharing"

ol_ironstomach

In a surprise move, Jim Koch announced on Thursday that Boston Beer would release 20,000 lbs of its 2007 East Kent Goldings and Tettnang Tettnanger hop inventory at cost to craft brewers, who have been hit hard by ongoing shortages on the international hop market, with many varieties trading at 2x to 8x their 2006 prices.

More here.

Sorry homebrewers, only small commercial operations need apply.

It's a drop in the bucket - the worldwide shortfall is estimated at 1300 tons alpha (acids), or about 16,000 tons raw hops - but might make the difference in keeping a brewpub or two alive. That's nearly half-a-million dollars in value they're leaving on the table at current prices.

In a surprise move, Jim Koch announced on Thursday that Boston Beer would release 20,000 lbs of its 2007 East Kent Goldings and Tettnang Tettnanger hop inventory at cost to craft brewers, who have been hit hard by ongoing shortages on the international hop market, with many varieties trading at 2x to 8x their 2006 prices.

More here.

Sorry homebrewers, only small commercial operations need apply.

It's a drop in the bucket - the worldwide shortfall is estimated at 1300 tons alpha (acids), or about 16,000 tons raw hops - but might make the difference in keeping a brewpub or two alive. That's nearly half-a-million dollars in value they're leaving on the table at current prices.

Can you shed some light on said hop shortage?

I've been feasting on Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA and other hop monsters, purchased at the admirable Rick's Wine and Gourmet, 3117 Duke Street, Alexandria.

They don't have every beer in the world but they have all the best beers.

I might be paying up compared to last year but that's true of everything, no?

Can you shed some light on said hop shortage?

I've been feasting on Weyerbacher Simcoe Double IPA and other hop monsters, purchased at the admirable Rick's Wine and Gourmet, 3117 Duke Street, Alexandria.

1) One of the many articles out there on the hop shortage. It's particularly restrictive if you're a homebrewer, since the commercial guys have gobbled up the entire stock of particular hops (Simcoe is a good example). MoreBeer is down to like 7 different varieties, the prices have skyrocketed, and you can't get a discount by buying in bulk anymore. MDHB up in Columbia had a bit more variety when I was last there, but the prices are even higher than online.

2) Rick's is great. It's been a while since I've been out there, but a beer-buddy of mine who lives down in the area swears by it. They do special-order stuff, and the selection is interesting and varied. Great shop.