President Obama At Five Guys

DonRocks

This story is already all over the internet, but here's my feed (thanks, MA!)

Cheers,

Rocks

---

Pool Report 1

Another Obama burger run, this time to a Five Guys in Southeast Washington.

President Obama ordered cheeseburgers for himself and members of his staff, and paid at least $80 in cash. The entourage included a NBC News crew that has been trailing the president for a "day-in-the-life" documentary to air next week.

NOTE: Obama visited Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Va., a few weeks ago. And First Lady Michelle Obama took her staff to another Five Guys in Washington earlier this year.

Play-by-play

Motorcade left the White House at 12:42 p.m. The NBC crew caught Obama's walk out with two crews, one stationed just outside the Oval Office and another on the other side of the presidential limo. The latter crew had a camera attached to a long crane that arched over the driveway.

At 12:51 p.m., we arrived at the Five Guys at 1100 New Jersey Ave. SE, a few blocks from Nationals Stadium. As the pool scurried up to the restaurant, we could shrieks of delight and squeals of "O, my God! O, My God!"

Obama, sans jacket, walked up the counter, scanned the menu posted above, and began ordering. Aides Reggie Love and Marvin Nicholson slipped him various requests from the crew. At one point, he brought up NBC's Brian Williams, who ordered a cheeseburger with ketchup and fries. The pool believes it spotted the president peeling off at least four $20 bills for payments.

A little presidential dialogue: "Reggie, you got you orders? Where's Reggie? Whaddya got?"

To his order taker: "I need one cheeseburger and one fries for me. Jalapeno, tomato, mustard. That's it for me … Plus lettuce on mine too."

Obama then read out other orders, cheeseburgers and at least one grilled cheese sandwich, with various toppings. Unlike last time, Obama did not offer to buy food for the pool.

Obama received order slip number 41, then proceeded to walk around the restaurant to greet the patrons and pose for pictures.

He tended to ask people their and names and occupations. Hard to hear over the media and customer scrum in the small restaurant, but the pool picked up some snippets.

"How long you been doing that?" he asked one person. To one man who appeared to cite his military background, Obama said: "Appreciate your service." At another point, Obama could be heard saying that someone "didn't know the economy was going to collapse."

A couple of women requested and got a group picture. "It’s such an honor," one of the women told the president.

He asked a woman with a distinct accent where she was from, and she said, "Ireland."

Obama: "What part of Ireland?"

"Dublin"

Obama: "Dublin? Outstanding. I've got to visit Ireland."

After his number was called, Obama went to claim his burgers and such. He summoned White House photographer Pete Souza for a group picture with the Five Guys staff.

Obama then walked out, carrying two very large brown paper bags. Motorcade left the site at 1:05 p.m., and was back at the White House at 1:15 p.m. Obama, jacket over his shoulder, walked to the Oval as the cameras rolled.

David Jackson

USA Today