Great Vietnamese Cookbook

V.H.

My mom is an awesome Vietnamese cook. I've eaten out occasionally at Vietnamese restaurants in the area and find them all to be just so so in comparison to the stuff that comes out of my mom's kitchen. I've also eaten in lots of Vietnamese homes and while those meals tend to better than restaurant cooking, they rarely are up to par with what I grew up with. Unfortunately, my mom doesn't measure things and while I have been to learn some things from her, I felt like there were so many dishes I loved that only she could make.

I've since come across a really wonderful Vietnamese cookbook, Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen. I've made a few things so far and they've all come out wonderfully. If you like Vietnamese food, you owe it to yourself to try out some of Andrea Nguyen's recipes to experience meals that taste like they were prepared by someone's mom. She also has blog where she posts recipes, definitely try her Lemongrass grilled pork.

I was so glad to read your post. I cook from this book a lot, especially in the summer, I like what I make, but, unlike you, I have no idea HOW my dishes should taste. They do taste different than restaurant food. What other recipes have you made? Skipper

I've made the Catfish simmered in Caramel Sauce, Shrimp simmered in caramel sauce (awesome with head-on wild east coast shrimp), and the southern salad rolls.

I haven't made the Pork and eggs simmered in coconut juice and caramel sauce, but it appears to be very close to the recipe I currently use.

I had to return my public library copy and just received my Amazon copy so I'm excited to try everything else in the book.