I was forwarded this email from JICC:

JASW with support from the National Arboretum present:

Otsukimi

Moon Viewing at the U. S. National Arboretum

3501 New York Avenue, N.E., Washington, D.C. 20002

Saturday, October 3, 2009

5:30PM-8:00PM

*Event held rain or shine

Join the Japan-America Society of Washington DC (JASW) and the U.S. National Arboretum for an exclusive nighttime opening of the Arboretum as we celebrate the ancient custom of admiring the Harvest Moon. There will be a full moon that night. Families are welcome, and children 15 years of age and under are admitted without charge. Parking is free.

Attendees may bring their own picnic dinner or order an obento (lunch-box with Japanese food) through JASW. JASW will provide sake (many thanks to Hakutsuru), soft drinks, and daifuku. Obento orders MUST be received and paid for in advance no later than Monday, September 28. There is no special obento for children. Vegetarian obento is available by request only. Obento cancellations after September 28 and no shows cannot be refunded.

This year we will have lots to do during JASW’s Otsukimi event!

• The National Arboretum’s Bonsai Museum will be open during Otsukimi with docents on duty.
  • The Washington Toho Koto Society will play and inspire all of us to write haiku as we gaze up to the stars.
  • We will be introducing Shodo (calligraphy) demonstrations, Otsukimi Origami, and a new game called “Otsukimi Karuta”.
  • Obon dance. We will teach you Japanese obon dances. Wear your yukata and join us!

Click here for online registration

Register by Monday, September 28.

Flyer attached

091003OtsukimiFlyer.pdf

Can't vouch for the quality of the bento (mmm, daifuku), but I can vouch for the quality of the music. It will be beautiful. Okamoto-sensei is a delightful player.

(Disclaimer: I play with the Koto Society. I won't be playing at otsukimi, though.)

Haha, I plan to bring my own o-bento, as I figure that I can make one for cheaper and maybe (?) better tasting...

I think the bento are for family or groups that plan to stay for the whole event as this does span dinner time.

Update: The event is now sold out.